FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:36:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Special Indicator Wiring  (Read 2920 times)
Wilcey

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2016, 03:14:33 PM »

Hi all, back again with another problem...

I currently have the right indicators working without a hitch however on the left I can only get the front working... Does anyone have any clues on to where i should look to begin diagnosing the problem... the wiring is all pretty much original from my understanding, however the colours of the wires dont seem to match the wiring diagram i found somewhere on here. Secondly, I have tail lights, but no brake lights...would this be due to a similar issue?

Its a '58 FC Special Ute.

Thanks  Smiley
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 05:41:31 PM »
+2

Oxidisation is generally the culprit leading to high resistance and poor earthing. Multimeter between contact and good earth will determine if you have power at the socket. You could try spraying some CRC or RP7 in the sockets. Then cleaning all the contacts with emery paper. Then try running a wire from the light socket metal body to the battery negative. If that works then you have an earthing issue. If not it's the feed. Bare some of the feed wire and see if it's corroded. Look for dry solder joints at the light contacts. 

If you still can't isolate the problem it may be at the front/rear split. Multi meter to earth again. Should have 12v flashing. It's not in the can, switch or column as the front is working.

I hope this helps. Good luck
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wilcey

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 10:40:38 AM »

Hi Errol62, thanks for your reply!

Ive checked the earth this morning and that doesnt seem to be causing any dramas, power definitely isn't making it as far as the socket. Do you know where I should find the front rear split? Unfortunately all the wires which to go the back lights are bunched together on the right side of the ute are all mostly the same colour, so its hard to know which wire to bare!

Thanks again,

Wilcey
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 11:23:10 AM »
+1

If the wired are not original colour of makes it hard. Find the flasher can under the dash. Use multi meter to determine left from right and in from out. Out will be flashing. In will be constant I think. Follow the out. Should be s split under dash. If you have 12v there might need to replace feed to rear.

Another thought if trailer socket had been fitted at some time check for voltage there. Happy hunting.

Probably worth re wiring the car. It's not that hard.

Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: