FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:45:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Handbrake Cable Anchor  (Read 7778 times)
mc59
sa-club

Model: FC

GMH Production Line

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2016, 08:27:54 PM »

I'm reassembling the rear brakes on an Fc sedan and having a hard time getting the anchor ball on the end of the handbrake cable into the slot attached to the brake shoe. I cant compress the spring shroud to expose enough cable. Any ideas?

ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 09:24:11 PM »

Back the handbrake cable off.
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 09:55:35 PM »

You will need to take the rear cable off the lever which will then allow you to pull the cable through enough so you can get the ball over the hook. Then you can reattach the cable and lever and adjust it up. You will also have to adjust the screw on the arm and brake shoe, the stew head needs to be at about 45%.
Hope this helps, Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 04:20:51 PM »

Yep, as Jim and Ace have said;
Order in which to put handbrake cable together is as follows
1. Attach rear cable to brake backing plates
2. Attach rear cable to chassis with brackets
3. Attach rear shoes to cable by pulling through the wire and then pushing it back in again
4. Attach rear cable to intermediate lever with sheave
5. Install intermediate lever into holder
6. Back off adjustment, and then install front cable to intermediate lever
7. Adjust cable

Ken
mc59
sa-club

GMH Production Line

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 05:22:41 PM »

Thanks for the input everyone. The problem I have wasn't making any sense so based on what you've posted I've just removed the cable and have found the driver side to be seized up in the sheath just before it enters the backing plate. The passenger side is ok. I've squirted a decent amount of CRC into it and will let it hang overnight and try again tomorrow. I will post how it turns out. Thanks again
mc59
sa-club

GMH Production Line

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 12:19:50 AM »

Fail... cable broke. Many distractions the last few weeks. Got back to working on the car Monday (19th Sept) and with a new cable and a couple of swage for the cable ends, Bluebird, (nicknamed by a good friend) has a working handbrake. 30 years without. Feels good. This was one of the final pieces in restoring the front and rear suspension and steering linkages which I began back in April.

From this

To this

New bushes and rubbers etc. King pins, bushes and bearings cleaned up very well though one of the king pin bushes didn't line up with the grease nipple, so was dry. Don't know if it spun of its own accord or if it was miss assembled by a GMH employee. Won't complain. Up till last Friday I was one.  Smiley
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 07:54:01 AM »

Had that problem years ago with an EK sedan .For days I drove it to work and home [50km] thinking it was a wheel alignment problem [I had just put headers and a sports system and a larger set of tyres on the old girl and the drag link had to be adjusted to accommodate the exhaust ] . Frozen king pin because of a spun bush . Cheers Haydn
Longman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 03:58:14 PM »

Came up a treat mate. Nice job.
mc59
sa-club

GMH Production Line

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 07:10:15 PM »

Thanks Longman. Itching to get her on the road for a wheel alignment and experience the new handling but it's a car and taunts me. I went nowhere near the engine bay for this project and now it wont idle. Has a very rough slow chug and either explodes out the exhaust or backfires through the carb. Even ran backwards. So close yet so far. Was running fine before the project. I'll try a few other things and then probably begin a new thread on this forum.
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 08:28:06 PM »

Check your lead configuration sounds like you have a couple of leads arse about.  153624

mc59
sa-club

GMH Production Line

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 09:54:38 PM »

I tried several things to troubleshoot the problem. I ended up removing the distributor and replaced points and condenser. Checked that both the ignition advance units functioned. Checked all insulators and cleaned up all wiring contacts to coil and distributor body. I also added some wire to what looks like an earth wire from the vacuum advance to the breaker plate. Turned the key and fired first time. Didn't pinpoint the issue but something in the ignition system must of broke down while I was completing the suspension project.

This thread ended up a long way from the handbrake cable issue .... that's a car for you.

Registered today, wheel alignment in a couple more.

Thanks for everyone's input.
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 03:35:18 PM »

That's a happy ending.
Will you be posting proud pictures of the show on the road?

Dave
0417 270 315
mc59
sa-club

GMH Production Line

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 08:43:57 AM »
+2

Here we are on the road, my kids found this picture of us somewhere on facebook
DJ
Guru