FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 26, 2024, 11:17:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Radiators  (Read 4463 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« on: July 28, 2003, 12:16:23 AM »

Can anyone tell me from experience if a standard Height/Width FE/C Radiator will keep a fairly hot 202 cool?

If so what sort specs should I be looking at?
I don't really want to be spending mega-dollars either.

I have a torrie radiator that I know will do the job, but I would rather not cut the car if I don't have to.

Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2003, 04:05:47 AM »

G'day Glen
I am running a 192 motor with mild cam, stage 3 head, balanced, twin carbs, headers and 9.5:1 pistons. I use a standard FC Radiator in which was new at the time of fitting. With a standard 180 degree thermostat and thermo fan it never gets over 180 degrees F even on a hot day.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 04:22:48 AM »

Thanks Jockster,
BTW - We sent out your S&S entry forms with the last distributor for all SMASA members. There will hopefully be an organised cruise down there for SMASA Members too, with a bit of luck my FE will be leading the way!

craiga
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 07:30:54 AM »

I have a standard radiator in my 149 powered FC. Engine is basically stock except for 20-60 camshaft. It runs OK temperature wise,  but isn't happy on very hot days. Radiator is reco about 18 months old and in perfect condition.

I don't run a standard cooling fan though (because of lack of room) but run a Thermo Fan and a 76 Deg thermostat.

Jockster, what bottom hose do you use? I am currently running a Cortina one but it has no internal spring and this causes the hose to collapse slightly. Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 07:36:02 AM by craiga » Logged
Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2003, 10:12:31 AM »

G'day Craig
I am running an EH Holden bottem hose, it is a slightly tight fit but has a spring in it and does the job ok. They are still readily available through Sprint Autoparts or Repco.
And G'day Glen
Look forward to meeting you and the crew when they come down, I hope to have my second FC in a showable (if not prize winning) condition by the show. The aim is to have both my FC's, a local V8 powered FC Van and V8 powered FC Ute and two FC Station wagons on the one stand with Alane Hale's Black FC sedan from Vic, (awesome car with twin tunnel rammed 350 Chev), this car was built about 27 years ago and won our first show, it has not been altered much since then and still wins trophies.
Hope to catch you then
Cheers
Jock
Cheers
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
craiga
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 08:19:01 PM »

Thanks for your reply Jockster.

Can't wait to see the photos of this show. Make sure you post some on the site for all to see.

Cheers,

Craig.
Cat
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2003, 09:35:43 AM »

OK, I have had too many red wines, and am wondering what the hell a "bottom hose" is.  I mean, Craig, I thought you were a real man, but now am starting to wonder..... Shocked  And Craig you should know better than to ask for photo's of Jockster's bottom hose....Have you no decency!!!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2003, 09:36:39 AM by cat » Logged

Zoom zoom!
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2003, 10:13:38 AM »

hmmmmm, bottom hose......nah, don't go there!!

but(t) seriously....

Stinky...I have a 202 installed in my FC (not running yet so I can't say about engine temp's) but just had my standard FC radiator re-cored by my local NATRAD man  (I intend to run a thermo fan in front of the radiator).  

He put in a triple core, shifted the inlet to the left of the top tank and increased the size of the lower outlet to match the size of the red motor water pump inlet, new cap etc. for the sum of $400 plus GST.  I wouldn't say it was a fantastic deal but its about the price for a recore.

I'm hopeful that it will keep the 202 cool enough.....

regards....Brad
normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2003, 01:57:48 PM »

Hi Stinky
            My race car runs a 192 full race motor , guess what , "Standard FC Radiator" . from memory runs about 210 deg. pulling up to 8,000 rev's ,it's never boiled yet . they built 'em right in those days.

Craig's "bottom hose"   yea , well , I'm with you Brad , I ain't goin' there ....    (I'll have to check what's on my CAR , Craig  Grin )

Norm

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2003, 01:54:18 AM »

Hey Cat,

All of us guys are proud of our hoses...

And I'll guarantee there is still a bit of spring in all of them.

Jason. Cool

Phone +64 223509263
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: