FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 26, 2024, 08:20:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FJ Holden speedo drive gear  (Read 5010 times)
ACT59FC
act-club

Model: FC

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2016, 04:29:51 PM »

If anyone out there has an FJ holden speedo drive gear they are willing to sell Id be really happy to hear from you. Just upgraded my FC diff from a 3.89 to a 3.55 and the FJ speedo gear will bring my speedo back to reading correctly.

Regards Rod.

FC the Marilyn Monroe of Holdens. All the curves in exactly the right places!
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 06:30:05 PM »

See my other post rod. I suggest you check your speedo before swapping gears. If FCRB26 is right your speedo should be okay as is.

Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ACT59FC
act-club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 11:40:29 AM »

Hi Clay just checked out the old girl and it would appear that I do need that speedo gear. Its reading 5mph faster than actual speed. So when it reads 60mph on the speedo its showing 55mph on the Garmin. If anyone out there has an FJ speedo drive for sale. Id be real happy to hear from you.

Regards Rod.

DCE80
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 12:40:43 PM »

I have two crashboxes for spares. I'll check them but won't get a chance till late next week. I can't remember casting dates on them so unsure if they were fj fc fe. If you do Facebook jump on the grey motor enthusiasts page. They seem to be a helpful bunch and I'd be amazed if they couldn't hook you up with the goods immediately. See plenty of FJ pic's on there.
Dan
ACT59FC
act-club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 02:13:43 PM »

Thanks Dan, much appreciated.

Rod.

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 02:35:38 PM »

Very good. You appear to have effectively a 9% overdrive on factory spec assuming the speedo was originally correct. This is unlikely. As I said earlier most modern car speedos read fast by 2 - 7% ex-factory.

Your final drive is then perhaps slightly over driven with the smaller tyre rolling diameter and 3:55 diff. The 3:55 equates to an effective 10% overdrive over 3:89 with the smaller tyres negating this somewhat.

I don't know much about crash box speedo drives but in the later boxes the gear has around 20 teeth. So one less tooth provides a 5% decrease in speedo reading. Two less tree and you would be very close. Perhaps dangerously so in terms of getting clocked slightly over.

Cheers
Clay

Fraze

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 05:46:33 PM »

I have a 3.55 diff in my FC and am running 185 x 13tyres. On advice from this forum I fitted an FJ speedo driven gear (23 tooth against the std 22 tooth) and this has corrected my speedo. At an indicated 60 mph the Garmin tells me I am doing 98 kph and that's near enough for me. Cheers Fraze
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 10:33:50 PM »

Sorry but should have said one more tooth rather than one less in my last post.

98kph is 61mph. So you are actually going slightly faster than your speedo says.

DCE80
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 04:57:51 PM »

You're in luck Rod I have two 23 tooth speedo drives. One for me and one for you.  Gearboxes were exposed to the elements before I ended up with them. I have wd40 soaked overnight and they have come up well and turn smoothly. I'd recommend flushing with solvent best you can and soaking in oil to finish off. Looks like only way to disassemble is to press gear off shaft then press back on while still maintaining end float in the assembly. I don't think that needs to be done though if you soak and clean a couple of times. The gear has part number 7409427 stamped on reverse side. It yours for postage cost. PM me details and I'll get it in the mail.
Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: