FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 27, 2024, 08:08:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HR carby  (Read 5875 times)
rob_dav

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2016, 08:44:23 AM »

Hello car gods,
I'm trying to solve my carby issue.
My car is a stock 1967 HR Standard with a 161 and 3 speed manual.
The carby  is pulling full vacuum on the vacuum advance and as a result I am not able to connect the vacuum advance on the dizzy.
The numbers on the carby are as follows 23-3019 on the fuel bowl and on the bottom half on the cast iron body 2376050 BXUV-2.
I had the carby over hauled due to play in the bottom shaft and have the problem ever since.
Can anyone confirm that I have the right base as the numbers that keeps coming up for the base is 2375024 BXUV-2 and I can't find any info on the base I have.
Or is there possibly something missing from the vacuum port in the carby.

Cheers
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 03:41:04 PM »

There should be nil vacuum at idle at the correct port in the base plate, increasing with intake mixture flow through the Venturi. If you are getting much vacuum at closed throttle sounds like you are getting vacuum generated beyond the carny in the inlet manifold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 06:21:18 PM »

Errol62 is correct . When the venturi is open and vacuum is created as the air passes the tiny hole through the throttle body ,when the throttle is closed the air and fuel travels down the by-pass passage and metering jet[tube] ,so maybe that is where the problem is . Check that's clear [it will also cause splutter when throttle is backed off] . Just a thought . Cheers Haydn 
rob_dav

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 07:03:55 PM »

The issue I think I have is that the vacuum  ports are on the bottom side of the butterfly which I suspect they need to be on the top side but I can't find any detailed information on the carby and port positions.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
rob_dav

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 07:30:57 PM »

rob_dav

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 07:35:55 PM »

The vacuum line ports are the 2 holes that are horizontally in the same position on the left of pictures 1 and 3.

ehsv6

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 02:19:19 PM »

Been waiting for Harv to answer this, my guess is the base was swapped over when you had it over hauled to a automatic version.  If you look at Harv's encyclopedia https://www.scribd.com/doc/68315221/Carburettor-Guide you can see two models of carbies one for manual, other for auto.  The difference is in the application of the vacuum, the auto version applies vacuum at idle to advance engine a little to take up load of auto when moved into drive from park or neutral. When you time a auto you disconnect the vacuum line.  Cheers Keith
rob_dav

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 08:21:58 PM »

Is there any way of I'ding the correct base buy the the numbers cast into the base or is it a case of measuring them

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 08:36:56 AM »

It's the correct main body for the vehicle, but agree that it is likely to be an auto throttle body. Throttle body is correct size though.

You can either block off the advance port on the carb (and run no vac advance), or connect to it and run manifold vacuum instead of ported vacuum. It means that you will get some vac advance at idle though... need to be wary of pinging, though should be fine.

Cheers,
Harv
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 07:43:54 PM »

A competent carby guy can fix that. I'm with others who believe that the carby base is from an auto. Although 23-3019 is the correct part number for a carby assembly for a 161 manual.

I've had several manual carby bases converted to auto & vice versa. They usually just plug off the unwanted hole(s) & drill a new one in the required location.

I use Carburettor Service Co. at Burwood in Sydney.

Dr Terry
rob_dav

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 09:23:16 PM »

Can you buy a drill guide or for drilling the new holes and what is the correct size of the holes

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: