FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 07, 2024, 02:29:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Carburettor Overhaul  (Read 4904 times)
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2016, 08:55:19 AM »

Can anyone suggest a good business to overhaul a grey motor carby please? Prefer NSW but they're small enough to pack and post so the location is not that much of an issue - other than the outrageous cost of parcel postage these days, of course! I spoke to Kim at Carburettor Service in Burwood, Sydney, and it all sounded quite okay. Your thoughts??
Cheers, Ken.
DCE80
sa-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 09:40:52 AM »

If it's standard carb kits are available and unless you want it re coated or oversized throttle shaft installed ( if it's sloppy) they are very easy to do.
Kit is fuel miser sb-652 exploded diagram is in the box.

I couldn't get an oversized throttle shaft myself  so took this section in on its own to have it supplied and fitted.
Dan

DCE80
sa-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 09:43:03 AM »

These are on ebay but got mine cheaper at local auto store.
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 06:11:26 AM »

G'day Ken,

The carby overhaul is relatively simple. A step-by-step process, with photos, is here:
FB/EK Holden Stromberg Carburetion Enthusiasts Guide

Having said that, I would highly recommend the Carb Service Co at Burwood - awesome to deal with.

Cheers,
Harv
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 09:58:47 AM »

At the Vic club meeting in April we had a chap come along from Wilsons carburettors in Melbourne. Been in business for Decades. I think he said they started in the sixties.
Was very interesting listening to him talk about carby rebuilding and how it should be done.
Wilsons does a rebuild where EVERYTHING is addressed right down to surface finishing all gasket seats so they are flat, not just clean.
All carbies are bench run and tested. According to the guy, carbies are all a little bit different in the way they run and with what fuel they have in them. He can set up one carby to run and it will end up jetted differently to what appears to be another carby that is exactly the same.
Fascinating listening to him.

Ken
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 01:21:34 PM »

Thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated. Will opt for Carburettor Service I think as the shaft appears a little sloppy and I'm within driving distance to Sydney.

Cheers, Ken
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 07:49:26 PM »

BTW Ken, it is Tim at Carburettor Service Co., not Kim.

Dr Terry
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 05:50:10 PM »

Ah.....cheers for that Dr Terry.
Heading there tomorrow so you've helped me keep my dodgy hearing a secret  Wink Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: