FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:21:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: vh 24 brake booster  (Read 7416 times)
fcee
vic-club

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2016, 04:10:11 PM »

My fc vh 24 booster has developed an air leak when the brakes are applied ,and is in need of surgery ,after many phone calls to reconditioners and hearing the same result ,no parts available for that booster I have fitted a vh 44 booster ,it works fine but not the correct booster for fc ,hard to maintain originality in this situation .be aware as their are vh 24 boosters for sale on ebay that need reco which is not possible .cheers Steve . Sad

Sale Victioria
slack one

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 04:28:03 PM »

Hi steve have you rang Hydro-boost.Cheers Gary.
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 04:46:24 PM »

Yes ,hydroboost ,hoppers stoppers ,south aus ,many others ,all same story . Sad .cheers Steve . Sad

Sale Victioria
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 06:19:40 AM »

Many years ago [in my teens ]I was offered an early Jag but turned it down because it needed a total hydraulic system rebuild . A decade later I was working for an auto parts company selling and buying parts internationally . I remember looking through a catalogue with PBR parts and cross reference to European and Yank parts and wishing I had taken the Jag . Many years ago someone gave me a VH24 for my old Holden but very quickly realised that the corrosion had got the better of it and lots of it was breaking as I pulled it apart . It sat on the shelf for a few years and I often wondered if it was worth another try but opted to tear down the VH40 I had [with an air leak similar to yours ] and repaired its holed out diaphragm with a vulcanizing patch . I guess what I am saying is it might be worth a wider vision when looking for spare parts . ROCK AUTO in the USA will find and ship world wide and many companies you may think extinct are so only in Australia . Cheers Haydn 
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 11:26:00 AM »

Thanks Hadyn ,I have fitted the vh 44 to keep me on the road with reasonable brakes , but have not given up on the possibility that someday the vh 24 may be able to be rebuilt ,only a matter of finding a supplier of parts ,seems that p.b.r. have stopped making the bits .cheers Steve Sad

Sale Victioria
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 03:38:37 PM »

Yeah ,I was looking at that before replying to your post this morning .I guess that prompted my memory . This might be a clue .I was working for a company GKN Autopart hence the PBR cross reference .They had bought out Awlco Stennor .Can't remember if that's how it was spelt . This was back in 1987 I think . Now the thing is that my daughter over revved my imported Mazda diesel and dropped a valve a few years ago and because of the rarity of replacement parts I had to buy them through Rockauto [USA]and when the water pump arrived it had been purchased from GKN in England [still trading] they stopped trading in Australia [bought out by Ecklin I think] not long after I resigned  . All I am saying is pull the diaphragm apart and have a look ,it may be an easier fix than you think . Haydn
ehsv6

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 05:02:03 PM »

Theres one on Gumtree, maybe worth it for spares or make 1 out of 2
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/aberfoyle-park/brakes-suspension/brake-booster-vh24-inline-remote/1099696652
Cheers Keith
aldo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 05:26:01 PM »

VH24 booster rubber on ebay for $50
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 10:46:58 AM »

Thanks Aldo ,found a guy in qld who had some ,and fitted to my booster ,will put it on when the 44 dies . Wink

Sale Victioria
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 02:15:16 PM »
+1

Power Brakes SA are now supplying a suitable diaphragm for the vh24. Sourced from a modern booster, uses an adaptor plate to fit the vh24 rod. These guys have an excellent reputation going back to my long lost youth. Many a cast aside vh24 can now be resurrected it seems.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
aldo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 05:20:27 PM »

Power brakes SA can supply all the parts, bought several kits off them recently and the main rubber is available on ebay, Always best to use original type parts however they have done a great modification. Havent seen one but I understand you can see the spacer when assembled.
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 08:14:47 PM »

Wink Shows you what can be achieved when people think outside the square .good news .cheers Steve .

Sale Victioria
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 08:19:06 AM »

Yep, thought as much . When I wrote here I neglected to tell you that the parts I was referring to were available through a company GKN . The company no longer exists in Australia ,but are still large in England and supply through most of Europe . I brought a rare water pump off them just recently .

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: