FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:40:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tyres to suit stock vehicle  (Read 10436 times)
DCE80
sa-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2016, 01:03:33 PM »

Hi guys
Seeking opinions either positive or negative on the easy to get stock tyre 185/80/13 options with white side wall. I understand two main options are maxxis with about 15mm white wall at around $165 a corner and Sumitomo at around $50 cheaper a corner with slimmer white wall.
I currently have under size sumitomo 175/70/13 which seem to be good besides the fact they look stolen from a golf cart and throw everything out of calibration by 10%.
I'd love a wide white wall but cost is on high side and I don't want to run flappers on my original rims for safety reasons.
Thanks in advance
Daniel
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 02:16:23 PM »

Nothing wrong with the Sumitomo, a lot of club member wear them. (On their cars, obviously!)

There is a whitewall radial available, but they're [insert long whistle noise here] not cheap - $250/corner or more. Having said that, they look fantastic.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
DCE80
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 08:21:01 PM »

Cheers RET
Sumitomo it is then.
Daniel
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 09:51:11 AM »

I am running Maxis P185/80R13 with thin white walls.  Very happy happy with them.  Cannot remember the price but think they were about $180 a corner.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
DCE80
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 04:48:43 PM »

Cheers Keith
Just did some calling about for 185/80/13
$125 sumitomo fitted
$165 maxxis fitted
$359 bf goodrich wide white wall that I think RET was alluding to. How to convince myself let alone the boss.
Set of Sumitomo coming soon I think...
HAD 708

Model: FE

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 01:15:14 PM »

I have sumitomos on my car and just come back from Toowoomba nationals @4100 kms ........ not a hassle and reliable .

Brett Gillard
DCE80
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 10:41:44 AM »

New set of shoes ordered. Went with Sumitomo after positive feedback. Cheers guys

For those who may be interested.
$90 each from Luxury wheels at Springville VIC
They deliver australia wide $65 for 4 delivered to my door in Adelaide.
Local guy fits to bare rims and balances for $7.50 each.

Now to paint rims so I can get them on the car. Cant wait for lower rpm on poor old girl.
Dan

DCE80
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 06:47:50 AM »

Well since last post have done a club run out on the open rd and this highlighted again the need for new tyres. Courier dropped said tyres off yesterday and so I decided to do a rough comparison. Even though I knew my current tyres 175/70/13 were 10% undersized, which speedo confirms. I never really thought about how it would look. Side by side I was a little stunned.

Since pic I've removed tyres from rims and am removing majority of paint with paint stripper to save time at the blasters. Will be brush painting whole rim with KBS rustseal black straight to blasted surface. Followed by can spraying lightest body colour ( ivory ) as per factory colour scheme. I mined the forum and found a post on this ( thanks Ken) and the removed paint was also this way. Turns out I have a set of five rims that could be original to the car ( or were changed as a set at some stage. All five are dated 6/58 which surprised me. All four rims on car had been touched up at some stage and spare was original paint that had yellowed. This rim was easiest to strip. I thought if and rims would be dated different it would be this one. Car I'm told, was sold new in Jan 59 ( thanks to ACE who is former owner).

Long winded post but thought someone in future maybe searching for this info as I myself had. I'll post a couple of pics as I progress. Not sure how the painting will go but I have read good reports of brushing on rustseal.
Dan
DCE80
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 06:51:23 AM »

Well that annoys me that my pic is on the piss.
White band on tyre looks blue as it has some sort of preserver on it. I'll remove it once tyres are mounted to rim.
Dan
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 07:37:13 AM »

Some info for the tech savy i use a online tyre convertor when working out my wheels for my cars ect works great

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

DCE80
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 08:29:18 AM »

Good work Pete.
I had used the same type of calculator on a tyre website for my once off need. Would love a collection that requires the app  Smiley . One thing I have noticed is there is very small inconsistencies in the calculators which do vary a fraction but nothing that would influence any decisions.
Dan
DCE80
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 08:45:13 AM »

After an hour of paint removal last night and a soak for 8 hrs. Fronts of rims just need a clean before blasting. Now to do the back.

In case anyone's wondering about the fan, it was a still night and fumes were not moving on their own.
Dan
DCE80
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 06:21:08 PM »
+1

Well after nearly a year of not having a chance to do the paint job myself I decided to get someone else to do them.Just picked up my newly painted wheels from Joe at Adelaide wheel & rim works on Sth Rd. They are so good I don't know whether to put them on the wagon or on the mantle piece. I'm gobsmacked on what he did with them. All original colour scheme as researched from this forum and as found on the rim when blasted (thanks Ken). $140 a rim but I had supplied blasted and tyreless but with almost 60yrs of abuse. Wife's birthday today so will be fitted tomorrow if I'm to keep the peace.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: