FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:25:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cams FC Resto  (Read 174079 times)
camxsmith

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2016, 08:31:58 AM »

Thanks I try to please   Grin
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2016, 10:23:19 AM »

Hi Cam;
I don't think you will be disappointed with the Taylors repair panels I purchased the front floor panels from Ray and am really please the sub chassis and rear floor panels I purchased from Rares for my FB/EK Ute leave a lot to be desired they are just not the same shape as the originals being slightly larger making the joins a little harder but I suppose when they is nothing else we have to use what we can get  Huh

Regards
Neil H 
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2016, 09:42:17 PM »

Great to here Neil
I got as much as I could from Ray's, And what a character he is. Oh my ...  what ever you do, do not ask about Telstra and bigpond   Shocked..  But do ask about his business its an interesting story. Would love to see him in action making the panels and Im sure he has some amazing stories about it all. Another one with a wealth of knowledge which will I hope be past on.

I hope some time soon I will get to put some of these part in..   Grin
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2016, 08:35:32 PM »

Collected some more items over the last couple of weeks. 

Decided to go with a Trimatic instead of the Powerglide. More of a cruising car instead of drag car  Grin  It has electric kick down and is a later model, VB commo or UC Torana.

Got a proportioning valve from a HZ sedan to go with the rear drums and front disc. 

Cleaned up my HK steering arms and have nearly finished the rear diff HT drum plates. Hope to get the diff together for a lick of paint. 

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2016, 10:28:13 PM »

Hi Cam
Re bracing might I suggest fitting and carefully aligning the doors and tacking shut prior to fitting new sills. That will brace everything and make for no surprises. When sills are tacked on remove rear doors and tack b pillars. I haven't done this but based on advice from others and common sense.

Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2016, 09:41:46 AM »

Thanks Clay I will keep that in mind when I get too it.
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2016, 07:22:26 PM »

At last some paint on some items, using KBS paint.

Diff with aqua clean on

Items getting the rust blast

Items with the rust seal, comes up pretty smooth with just a brush..  amazing really.
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2016, 08:46:13 PM »

They came up really well.

Dave
0417 270 315
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2016, 09:18:40 AM »

Nothing like fresh paint..

How did you get it to dry ? its as cold as here in NSW..

camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2016, 04:06:14 PM »

Another few steps forward.. Grin

Cleaned up brake pedal.

Removed the lower part of the sill I had left on after cutting a strip out, I thought might as well as it will help with the sand blasting. Amazed at the number of spot welds and there locations, one was right in the middle of a drainage slot...

JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2016, 05:35:55 PM »

G'day Cam,

Making good progress there  Smiley. Wont be too long and another quality car will hit the road.

Got mine up on stands at the moment doing the stuff the engineer requires which is not much at all really. 

Cheers, Graeme
GMHwagoon

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2016, 06:41:17 PM »

cam

you call them spot welds  Grin   will show you spot welds
    l counted 40 in one 12inch  strip   the panel beater must have got a new toy when he put these sills on
    or the bloody apprentice was unsupervised
    took me a while hade to grind it back to where the floor pan was
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2016, 02:47:40 PM »

HI missed your question Pete on how i was getting things dry ..  1. sun was out 2. heaters were running flat out and 3. was the middle of the day..  Took a risk and paid off..  Grin

Graeme hows the out look on the selling of the car..  Are you going to be able to keep it ..?

Greg you definitely win hands down on the spot welds.... that's insane  Shocked
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2016, 10:49:37 PM »

Hi. Been off for a while. We did an assessment of the car and it was pretty far gone so we braced it all up and did some of the structural bits before blasting like inner and outer sills and butt welded some patches and pans in then blasted it to get the crap paint off the pans that were fitted.

That was on my FE. Since my blaster is mobile and I have a setup allowing for it, I did what Ken suggested and lightly blasted the inner sills on my fc after roughly cutting out the outer sill and cos this fc is much better than the other car (which I wouldn't have trusted not bracing but this one has solid floor and inner sill) I again listened to the guys here and used paint stripper and a polishing wheel with 80 grit on panels. My  blaster said to blast the floor from underneath to find pin holes. We didn't find many and lightly blasted both sides of inner sills. After now doing 2 of the same car, I think each car may need to be assessed individually in some respects.

I found that the rares pans on the fe were OK but the two sets of cross members that meet the gearbox mount area between the A pillars (front of main body) we're short and really not useable at all. So if I do a four link etc I might use them somehow then. I spoke to ray recently. He sent me an updated list. I have a few bits to get but not much left to get. We made our own bits from the A pillar across but using a mates fab workshop. We did them exactly like the originals in a decent gauge.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2016, 03:15:35 PM »

Hi it's been a while.. been doing my favorite things still blasting a couple of small parts. Have a couple of ideas one around the air cleaner.. making it look like a holden 186s air clean even thou it's a Ford ..

The other idea I'm playing around is the eh gauge pod on the dash in place of the ash tray.

So that's what's been going on ...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2016, 08:35:54 PM »

Looking good jut keep on plugging along.
I have a FC speaker grille if ur after one ?

camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2016, 10:24:18 PM »

Thanks Pete, always looking after me .. I will have to check out how bad my real one is ...  I say that because I think you might think that is the grill im going to use ..  Its is actual I section I cut out of a really bad ute. Was nearly the only bit realy left stuck in a vise on my bench .  I wide angle shot will show you what I mean ..  the gill just came with it. ::   Grin Grin Grin

If that was my real dash I would be a bit worried, I have bee hacking it it a bit  ...   Cheesy

camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2016, 09:48:20 PM »

Its amazing some times its just cheaper to buy the whole item..  Been searching for HQ,HZ ...  rear backing plates and found I could buy the entire diff for cheaper then the backing plates by them selves.

I need to do a small adjustment to the inner circle so the bearing fits thru, but other then that they will bolt straight on with the HT drums, on the LJ diff. The HQ have the inner mount section pressed in more, this is required if you dont the wheel cylinder hits the shaft flange which holds the studs. Love to say it was my idea but found all the info here http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20071

Other things I have been doing is cleaning up the steering box and the vertical channel pillar, All sand blasted and painted. Have to take some more pictures of these.

JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2016, 09:36:27 AM »

Car seems to be coming along nicely cam  Smiley
VAN059

Brisbane, QLD.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2016, 10:46:24 AM »

Great progress Cam

Are you running the LJ diff, with HQ stud pattern? I have a HR front end that will be running HQ, & I have a LJ diff lying around, so wanted to convert that to HQ as well.

Cheers
Marc

Smokin Words and Shoutin Turds
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: