FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:46:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: air chief radio  (Read 3666 times)
59 4 me

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2015, 07:35:09 PM »

hi,was just wondering if anyone had a fix on the radio tuner slide knob, it's not moving the needle very well and gets stuck between stations,any ideas would be much appreciated.cheers mike
DJ
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 07:58:31 PM »

Sounds just like mine - I suspect it has a fine cord around some wheels on either end, and tied off to the slider.  The cord stretches & slips with dust often adding to the problem. Probably nothing dramatic. It can be tightened a little & tied up again. Shouldn't be hard to find something suitable for a new cord if it's needed. I'll look inside mine one of these days & do the same, once I remove all the dust.

Dave
0417 270 315
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 09:29:12 PM »

Sounds like it needs a pull down, clean, lubrication and reassembly. 50 years of dust clogs things up a bit. It is pretty common on these radios.
The cord that pulls the indicator goes on quite a circuit inside the radio and all the extra friction adds up.
I would recommend a trip to an old radio restoration company such as Nostalic Wireless.

Ken
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 09:50:02 AM »

Mike,

The cure depends on what model your Air-Chief radio is.

But I'll guess that it's a hybrid (or transistor) radio with permeability tuning.  These kinds of tuners are designed for push-button operation, and the manual-tune radios are the same design, but with all the push-button hardware deleted.

Inside the radio there is a crownwheel-and-pinion drive, with a clutch on the crownwheel.  The clutch is probably slipping.

Take the radio out of the car, take the top cover off.  Clean all the accumulated dust and crap out with compressed air or a fine-bristled brush.  Then lubricate all the pivots and sliding parts in the tuner with light machine oil (use a toothpick dipped in oil).  Run the tuning control over the full tuning range a few times while looking at the guts of the tuner.  If the internals stop moving while you're turning the knob (other than at the ends of the tuning range), the clutch is slipping.

The later Air-Chiefs (HK-T-G) have a coil spring inside the tuner to pre-load the clutch, and if it falls off, the radio doesn't tune.

If after lubrication, the clutch still slips, it's best to give say Nostalgic Wireless a call.

(Or you can pm me)

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
julius
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 10:14:05 AM »

Hi, I can highly recommend Nostalgic car radios as they restored Effie's for me years ago and I have had no problems.

Regards
Julius
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 10:30:54 AM »

Mike,

Clarification:

Only lubricate sliding mechanical parts.  Keep oil well away from the tuning coils and the sliding powdered iron slugs, and don't oil the clutch.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: