FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:25:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fueling dramas  (Read 3637 times)
moetstockie

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2014, 07:18:44 PM »

Hi Brains trust,  I drive my FE Station Sedan 60k's, stop and then drive 300m and she stops, then goes if I choke it by hand and away we go. Happens every now and then. Can't get fuel up to the carby so we've changed the petrol pump and blew the lines with air, check needle & seat. I suspect the problem is a blockage in the bottom of the tank. I could hear plenty of gurglingh when we blew air backwards in lines to tank.     Question: Is there a strainer at the bottom of my fuel tank that is likely blocked or is there other areas i've missed?    If so what's the suggested remedy gents?  One of the threads was to put coat hanger wire in a drill to clear the nylon strainer.......at least I think that was what it meant Huh

Over to you guys.  Cheers Moe`t

john253a

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 11:47:57 PM »

You could pull out the tank and have it cleaned and resion coated inside
Or fit a vr/vs commodore tank

That will solve the tank issue
As for the fuel line you might need to polly shoot it
http://www.stauff.com/fileadmin/Downloads/PDF/Fluid_Connectors/Stauff_Clean_Brochure.pdf
This is the tool I use
You might be able to hire one from a hire shop, or hydraulic shop

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 05:46:44 AM »

I would pull the tank out then pull the sender out get a torch and one of the mirrors on an extension and have a look in there sounds like the pickup has a hole in it sucking air.

ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 10:23:26 AM »

Have you checked the flexible fuel hose that goes to the fuel pump?
If its the original braided hose it may be sucking in air.
From memory there is no strainer in the bottom of the tank.
ACE  Cool
Fraze

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 07:54:27 PM »

With those flexible fuel hoses, you can get a situation where the plys of rubber separate and the hose can collapse internally whilst looking ok from the outside,and this can occur intermittently. Now don't bother to ask how I know........Fraze
moetstockie

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 10:06:33 PM »

Checked every thing and cleared some crud from needle & seat. Ran a bit rough after starting and then eventually ran out of fuel. Started with fresh fuel and no dramas since.....2,000 odd k's. I reckon I just got a bad dose of fuel. So i might approach it differently next time. Still can't see why i had so much trouble with two in line filters. One is now removed. Cheers Moe`t
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: