FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:43:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Timing a grey with a 20/60 cam  (Read 4105 times)
moetstockie

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2014, 10:15:14 PM »

Hi brains trust. My FE wagon has a FB grey motor rebored to 60 thou, a 20-60 cam and extractors. It doesn't seem to pull as well as it did and a bit sluggish with the 1958 caravan in tow. Top end is light on as well. I recently timed it using timing light and ball bearing in fly wheel mark and adjusted the idle to around 500 rpm as per book. It still sits on 100k for hours but won't pull much more than 115-120kph now. I have electronic ignition as well. A bloke told me to advance the timing a bit. Any tips?? I run 95 octane fuel. Moe`t
CraigA
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 08:51:56 PM »

What is the total timing?
Static plus centrifugal?
Should be all in and about 30 deg at 2500 rpm.

That cam will take a little more static timing than stock. Add a couple of deg btdc.

If it's sluggish up high it will be a total timing issue.
Maybe weights in the dizzy stuck?

You can also widen the plug gap with electronic ignition. A little more power there.
Gary C
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 10:23:56 PM »

You may also need to check with the cam manufacturer the recommended tappet clearance if you haven't already.

1 cam I have (slightly lumpier than your grind) asks for 20 thou inlet and exhaust,so not always per manual.

Gary
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 09:45:09 AM »

What is your carburettor setup?  Another possibility is that your fuel/air mixture is a little on the lean side . . .

(but to be brutally honest - caravan plus warm cam grind doesn't seem like an optimum combination)

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
GreyFC

Model: other Holden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 09:25:37 AM »

Just slightly off topic does anyone have a print out of available cam grinds.  I have a wade one, but would be keen to see what others are around to see where mine sits in the heat range.

moetstockie

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 08:46:26 AM »

Thanks gents, Carb is standard single stromberg, Valve clearance was set as per cam man's advice. Maybe I'm running a little lean ..... tuned carb as per book & have set spark gap a little wider for electronic ignition. However the timing is stock per book. So maybe try a few degrees BTDC (before Top Dead Centre ?? - Does this mean advanced??)   Would this all be sorted by a Dyno tune guy? Do they measure and set the best settings for power?
Over to the brains trust again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: