FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:30:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: XM Falcon crank into grey?  (Read 18806 times)
Paul Kelly
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2003, 09:26:31 AM »

Finally someone has concidered all that is involved in achiving a record run on the salt. And understands how hard it is.

Another point regarding setting a record, previously others mentioned fitting a blower for such an attempt.
This changes the category that the car is entered under.
The record is held by a naturally asperated Grey.

Paul.
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2003, 09:34:49 AM »

Hi Paul.
Yes, I understand what you arre saying. I didn't mean to understate Linzzz & his record. It was also me that mentioned the blower, but that was just because I would love to get over there & give it a run. Tho other thing to take into consideration, is that Lindsay did it in an FX ute, that was lowered, but still had the original gearbox & also a 3.89 ratio diff. You could do the shopping in this car.
Go the Grey!!!
Rob J
p.s. I am starting another webpage for Grey motor stuff, especially Norman Superchargers. If you have some info or photos you would like to share, here is the link.

http://groups.msn.com/StorminNormans-NormanSuperchargerGroup-/_whatsnew.msnw

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
Paul Kelly
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2003, 10:17:33 AM »

Never took it that you were understating the record.

I ran some quick Greys in the 70's and learnt the hard way how they would self destruct when pushed to the limit.

The best result was 105MPH out of a extremly well built Grey in an FJ on a Dyno.
The guy running it held it at full noise for almost a minute. An extremly scary experience waiting for it to expire.
It didnt and saw some serious street use.

Had a couple of Greys with either Powerglides or Trimatics behind them and ran the first Datsun 4 speed box conversion made in an FJ.

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2003, 10:26:55 AM »

Hi Paul.
What about the Falcon Crank? Have you ever seen or heard of this done. A mate down here (Robbie Mills) has a Vauxhall Steel crank in his Grey & it flies, but I haven't heard of the Falcon one before.
Man, I  have heard some stories about Grey motors getting the full hot up, only to expire at full noise. BUT, there are just as many good stories!! I am hoping to get some people to post some stories on the "Stormin Norman" site we just set up. I have just (after about 2 years searching & asking questions) found an old FC that used to belong to a racer down here. It was specially built up & made as light as possible. Holes drilled everywhere, interior stripped & believe it or not, 100% paint stripped & then Galvanized!!!! It used to run a very hot Grey, but it has gone. It has a hot read at the moment, but I am unsure how hot. It has been locked away for a long time. I am hoping to purchase it & restore it to race trim (Oneday!!!).
Regards,
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2003, 11:07:21 AM »

Hi Guy's
      Falcon cranks in reds I have heard of , a few guys were running them in the late 70's early 80's when I was running my car .
      FC's at full tilt can be scary , I've been accelerating into the straight at Oran park ,8500 revs in 2nd gear in a basically stock 186 (only triples & cam changed) man , everything is a blurr , guards,bonnet, body and of course motor , shaking like hell. Main problem we found was "harmonic vibration" (I was told) pop's 1st or 6th cyl. I can vouch for that , Harko will be here in a week or so , so I'll show him my trophy out of that motor , No 1 piston tried to escape through the L/hand side of the block. Not a pretty sight  Roll Eyes . Has anybody else had problems like this Huh??   Motor I have now , supposed to have a power range  3,500 - 8,500  we'll have to find out when it's going again. As for greys I'm sorry I've had no experience with them.
  Norm d

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
craiga
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2003, 11:41:51 AM »

Norm,

Your right about the Ford cranks into Reds.

From memory a Falcon 250ci crank into Red gave 235ci.  I think it was Brad's Speed shop at Granville that did them but I could be wrong.

HEAPS of torque - remember clearly a local HR with a 235 fitted with Webers that was BLOODY quick. Gave the Torana a hurry up a few times thats for sure  Sad

Great memories.

Cheers,

Craig.

chesy
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2003, 01:46:09 PM »

You guys are nuts !!!!!!!!  Smiley If we're serious about scientifically testing the relationships between aerodynamic drag and top end speed, why not transplant the same grey into say......a VS or VR with full body kit, while we're at it. Of course the gearing would have to match, and the transplant crew would therefore need to modify the ol' banjo to fit the commodore, but hey, if we're lookin for conclusive proof ........! ! ! ! !
EJ_Dave

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2003, 10:47:30 PM »

Bodykits usually increase drag rather than lower it. What they mostly do (aside from scraping on speedhumps and generally being a pain in the arse) is increase downforce. My EJ would take a grey powered, body kitted, overweight VS any day. Wink Wink

David

chesy
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2003, 02:24:48 PM »

OK.....If we're after serious streamlining.......what about a grey-powered RX7 or something. Maybe a BMW Z3 with a grey heart. I think the RX7 is the go though. Gearing might present a bit of a challenge.
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2003, 09:37:44 AM »

Hey, why not throw a grey into a bellytank.
Traditional and sleek, the perfect home for a grey.

Regards
Alex

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: