FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:53:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: steam from overflow  (Read 1772 times)
Matthew Crump
« on: June 06, 2003, 08:03:17 AM »

Hi all,

I've just noticed that lately the water in the radiator overflow on my fc is getting really hot and boiling/steaming off.

Obviously this means that she soon runs way too hot and becomes too risky to drive.

Ive replaced the thermostat and flushed and refilled the radiator and hoses.

It appears that the overflow hose blows really hot air into the overflow which accentuates the steam rising dramatically from under the bonnet.

I dont really know what it could be (faulty water pump?). Any ideas and rough fixing/replacement prices would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Matt Huh
HARKO
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 08:27:14 AM »

Check that your fan belt is tight Matt ,And that your radiator hoses are not too soft as they may suck in under pressure.
You may have a faulty water pump that is leaking water from a hard to see spot, Maybe start it up hold the revs up on the carby and have a little look see for water anywhere other than the overflow.cheers
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 10:38:45 AM »

Your car sounds like a regular driver and as such this seems to be a new problem ariding from some failure which has occurred, rather than a problem built up in time in a rarely driven car or a car which you have only just gotten running.  Does this sound correct?
If so I would suspect maybe you are losing water somewhere - maybe a blown headgasket or cracked head is the culprit if you can see no obvious water leaks. Check welsh plugs as well replacing the cap if this looks a little sus.  Are you using a cap suitable for an overflow/return system?
Water pumps, radiators etc are generally long term failure areas where the problem builds up slowly over time
Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: