FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 07:38:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Front Exhaust Bracket  (Read 4707 times)
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2014, 05:07:03 PM »

Hi everyone. After an 18 month mechanical rebuild I'm getting the FE close to start up. My problem is that the front bracket does not have enough length to slide into the exhaust pipe clamp. If I remember correctly it was not attached to the clamp when I took the engine and gear box out which suggests it may not be the right bracket anyway. The elongated hole looks like a home made job which also suggests something's fishy. The vertical length is 60mm (or 2⅜") and seems too short by about 10mm. Can anyone advise:

1. Whether this is the correct bracket.
2. If the bracket is meant to connect to the bottom of the bell housing (as it does on my FJ). FJ bracket has a different part number to FE, FC & FB.
3. If anyone has a spare if indeed this is a dodgy bracket.

Cheers, Ken.

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 05:45:50 PM »

Ken, the bracket bolts to the rear engine mount then the clamp slides over it. Not sure of the length, when it stops raining, I'll have a look.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 05:58:05 PM »

Bracket seems to be the same length and it bolts into the hole between the two gearbox mounting bolts.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 07:19:55 PM »

Yep I agree, bracket looks ok. As Jim says, have a look at the engine mount bracket and there should be spare hole in it where the exhaust hanger should go

Ken

FCGos

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 07:46:47 PM »

Ken

The engine pipe may have an incorrect bend, do you have another to check against.

Cheers, Wayne
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 11:03:58 PM »

It looks like its been shortened .Not sure but it looks to have a dodgy weld on it .They were sometimes shortened for a over under set of header pipes as there is little room close to the idler arm .You could repair it or drill another hole in the gearbox mount bracket. I probably still have one somewhere but might take some time to find in the bottomless mess of parts I have in my shed . Haydn
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 01:47:27 PM »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the replies. I have tried aligning it with the spare hole in the rear engine mount and although better, it is still about 7mm too short. It maybe a non genuine pipe Wayne but I don't have anything to compare it with. Haydn if you can locate your spare I'll take it please as it would be worth trying before making up another one. Cheers, Ken
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 06:14:30 PM »

Ken , I went through about 15 20litre drums of small parts and found one original looking bracket that looks to be no longer than the one you described and a dodgy made up one that is still bolted to the gearbox plate, it looks closer to the length you need . So because I shot my mouth off before looking , if you can give me a measurement from the centre of the bolt hole in the mount plate to the top of the pipe I will modify this original one to the size you need and send it to you ASAP . An interesting point to make is that bracket was to be dropped from the later holdens . On both my V6 Vauxhall conversions I have a similar bracket from the bellhousing to the exhaust because I believe that this is why the later manifolds cracked .. Anyway let me know about the bracket .Haydn
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 03:00:18 PM »

Thanks Haydn. Measurement is 55mm.

Cheers, Ken
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 12:05:10 PM »

Done , where do I send it ?

Message me . Haydn