FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 04:32:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Windscreen fitting  (Read 7849 times)
Townee

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »

Hi Guys looking for some advice please.

I am trying to get my windscreen fitted back into my FE ute with the stainless moulding and have a rare spares seal to suit.
Problem is the seal appears to be too big and the mouldings are not lining up with about a 1cm gap each side at the top.
I have had a professional fitter try to put it in but same result.
I am not sure whether the ute came originally with the mouldings but when the screen came out the top moulding had been ground down on the back lip and held in place by some self tappers. I have since sourced an original top moulding and want it fitted up correctly.
All of the mouldings are clean and polished up.

A couple of questions:

Was there a difference between the standard (no moulding) and the special (with moulding) utes in relation to the profile of the windscreen that would cause this ill fitting issue? I have seen pics on the web so I know the mouldings can fit on the ute?

If no difference, are there any tips in relation why its not fitting up properly?

My fitter has been talking with another who recently had a similar problem with fitting an FC windscreen and tried 3 different Rares seals all with the same result and in the end apparently managed to source a NOS one. Are there any other suppliers out there other than Rares that might have a better fit windscreen rubber?

Any help would be appreciated as this is the last thing stopping me from getting back on the road.

cheers Phil

Townee (NSW}
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 06:50:49 PM »

I dont believe there should be an issue with the screen rubber unless it is a very old rubber, it should be a tight fit around the screen. If it is not a tight fit there is a problem with either the rubber or the screen.
The rubber with no trim is different to the rubber with trim, but they cannot be mixed up. I have seen screens which were not correct.

Ken
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 07:33:36 PM »

Phil, I have found that the rare spares rubbers are a bit out, you could try Bill Thompson in Qld. I have fitted his rubbers to various early Holden's  with no trouble. I was lucky to find nos rubbers for mine, so I don't foresee any problems fitting them when the time comes. I have been a windscreen fitter for over 35 years so if you need any help let me know.
Regards Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 07:52:15 PM »

This only confirms what I was thinking yesterday as the local windscreen fitter struggled with my mates new HD windshield and rubber for over an hour . Something is not right with the repro rubbers
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 11:07:39 PM »

The problem seems to be the thickness between where the moulds and the body lip join. When you put the screen and the moulds into the body, they appear to be to big for the opening, if you remove the moulds and then fit the screen it fits ok. I installed a charger screen last week with the same problem,when the screen was fitted into the rubber the gap for the locking strip was closed up, over an hour just to fit the lock strip. The Holden standard rubbers(no moulds) don't seem to be a problem, that is why I tell people to use Bill Thomson rubbers as they DO FIT  into the body. Test fits show the screen/moulds fit into the opening rather than sitting proud by1/4" or so. Got an FBI ute to do tomorrow, not looking forward to it as he has Rares rubbers.           
Jim

Stewy
sa-club

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 11:31:06 PM »

http://www.rarespares.net.au/shedtalk/WatchVideo.aspx?id=fpXbpUb8GO8

Hey Jim, not that you need this link, but this is a rares seal.

I am a builder ( 34 years) so have no experience in fitting windscreens.

For info only (not taking any sides)  Smiley

Cheers Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
Townee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 09:24:39 AM »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your input. I think I will give one of the Bill Thomson seals a try as the Rares one just doesn't want to play ball. Will let you know how it goes when  get it.

cheers Phil

Townee (NSW}
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 02:02:38 PM »

Just spent 3-1/2 hours fitting a front and rear screen to an EK ute, the front screen would not sit into the body properly and the rear flat section for the joints of the end sections of the rear screen was out. The four holes for the cover strip are in the wrong places, we had to drill new holes for the bolts to go through. As for the video, they don't show what they had to do to the car to get the screen to fit and if you look they DO NOT seal the glass or the body and there is on headliner in the old car used for the demo. I take pride in the jobs I do, but sometimes you have to settle for a job that no matter what you do, it just will not turn out to be the standard that would be what I concider to be acceptable. The owner of the ute was good about the finish after helping me do the job, he could see the problems where not of my doing. Talk to anyone in the trade and they will tell you the same, Rare Spares rubbers are not as good as the originals, I am not having a shot at Rare Spares as I have purchased a lot of parts for the FC from them, but the fact remains their repo rubbers are not the same as the originals.
Jim

Townee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 06:40:32 PM »

Hi guys,

Managed to get my hands on a NOS windscreen seal and after soaking it in linseed oil for a day it fitted up easily with the trims intact.
No problems experienced like when trying to use the aftermarket one.

cheers Phil

Townee (NSW}
FC Dave

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 06:53:02 PM »

Glad to hear it went well. Dave
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 09:58:31 AM »

That great mate , linseed oil ah , my mate soaked his in brake fluid .His reasoning was that this happens when your clutch slave cylinder leaks and the boot goes really soft . Haydn
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 12:03:55 AM »

Brake fluid???

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 04:24:03 PM »

Yeah Ness, I thought the same when I read that. Don't think there will be much paint left around the body after the brake fluid leaches through.
Jim

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 04:40:35 PM »

The guy painted car as a trade for around 25 years , 3rd generation I think and now sells paint for a living in the biggest auto refinishing supply shop in Brisbane . Yes I thought it strange when he told me but I seen the before and after and it does work , and if anyone would know how to seal a paint job its him .Who knows it comes in a plastic bottle anyway ? Haydn
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 07:49:49 PM »
+1

Uhh still baffled. I thought it acted like paint stripper not a lubricant Huh

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...