FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:40:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HR wheels  (Read 8822 times)
Jonno

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2003, 01:20:59 AM »

HI,
I've been advised to find some HR wheels to fit on to my HR-brake (disk/drum) equipped FE.  Was also told (by someone else) that these were probably still available new since they are of the type often used on trailers.  Does anyone know if this is the case and, if so, whether the original FE hubcaps fit? I assume there is only one size of HR wheel?

Jonno Huh

Cottles Bridge, VIC
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 03:28:08 AM »

Jonno,

I'm sure this has been covered before, but anyway...

You have to have HR rims because the rivets in the original FE/FC ones will foul on the disc calipers.  They're OK on the back, but you'd be much better off with a complete matching set of 5 than having wheels on the back that you can't rotate to the front Roll Eyes not to mention the offset could be different...

As far being able to be purchased new, that's news to me, but let us know if you find anywhere that does sell them, because people are always looking for them.

There is only one standard size AFAIK (13" x 5.5"), and FE hubcaps do fit (although pretty tight, and generally won't hold a dress rim).

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 09:20:46 AM »

Hi Johnno
I don't think you will find new HR wheels!!
Try wreckers for used rims, as they usually hang onto them. When I got a set of widened HR rims for my car, I supplied the wheels manufacturer with 5 used stock HR rims and he took the centres out and put them into new rims. This is as good as new!!
Disc brake HR rims are slightly different to drum and HD rims, but you can tell a disc rim by the little hole in the centre between stud holes. (Is that confusing?)
Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: May 29, 2003, 09:47:36 AM by custom_fc » Logged

Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 09:56:31 PM »

thanks guys.
I thought it unlikely that they would still be in production, even for trailers. Re. 'hole in the centre between the stud holes', I guess I will recognise this when I find some!

cheers, Jon Smiley

Cottles Bridge, VIC
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 10:41:15 PM »

I think it's the Holden 14" (HKTG) rims that are still produced and used for trailers.

fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 02:35:45 AM »

Team,

I can offer the info that my local Bob Jane T-Mart (my cousin owns it) has new HR rims that I'll be fitting to my FC's  HR front-end in the next few days....I'll try to find out more about availability Aust wide....

regards....Brad
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2003, 03:32:11 AM »

Brad, I had heard that you can get new after market 14" HK-T-G rims, but did not know that 13" hr type
were available. Let us know how you go.
Regards Gary
fe2ek
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2003, 06:34:19 AM »

My FE ute has brand new wheels.The guy who restored it bought them from AJAX wheels in Moorabbin Vic,Dont know if there still around.

Regards Geoff
NascoHunter
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2003, 08:11:30 AM »

Yes Ajax wheels are still in Moorabbin of Neapen Hwy.
         Regards Tony.

FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2003, 02:11:00 AM »

Hi Gents
You Can get new HR rims in Brisbane for $40 ea. I was speaking to a friend yesterday (FB owner) who is going to get back to me with the name of the place were they are available.

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2003, 08:24:24 AM »

Yes HR rims are available. I saw an advertisement in Perth 2 weeks ago.

Regards
SEB

Yellow Knight

gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2003, 07:30:23 PM »

Hi guys,
I believe you can still get new HR wheels through Beaurepaires. Oh and Richard, they're 13" x 4.5", not 5.5".

Cheers  Grin

Graham.
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2003, 10:09:03 PM »

Team,

picked up my FC yesterday with the new HR rims installed.  Seller says that both ROH and TyreMaster do them.  I'm not sure of their exact size (width) but they were $40 fitted and balanced....nice gloss black (not!)

cheers....Brad
ekmad
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2003, 09:11:25 AM »

So are these HR rims (suitable for discs) available in Brisbane??  Does anyone have the details?

Thanks
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2003, 10:20:23 PM »

thanks for all your replies everyone. looks like the HR rims are definitely out there.  I would still be interested if anyone has found a part number?  Probably just paranoid but I can see some dealer saying 'yeh, they will fit' and I'll only find out later that they were really for HR drums or some such...

jonno

Cottles Bridge, VIC
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2003, 10:41:50 AM »

G'Day Fella's
I fitted HR disc's & calipers to an HD. The original HD standard wheels fitted back on with no clearance problems. I assume the wheels are HD, i would have to look at the wheels again to see if a small hole has been drilled to determine if they are for disc or drum brakes.Or if they have been changed over the years. Wink
I'll let you know by Saturday.

SEB

Yellow Knight

Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2003, 04:20:28 AM »

Hi Guys.

There are actually 4 different wheel rims made by the factory for HD & HR. The two common types are the normall HD rim & the HR rim (identified by the small 1/8" hole). The other 2 are a commercial rim & one thats listed as a heavy duty option.

The main reason I posted this reply was to point out that all of these rims will fit HD/HR disc braked cars. There is not 1 rim for discs & another for drums.

The only reason for the small hole was to identify the HR type rim which has less offset, resulting in a wider track. There were many more HRs produced than HDs, so the rim with the small hole is relatively more common.

Regards.

Dr Terry.
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2003, 07:43:41 AM »

Sorry for the delay jonno. The HD rims on the HD i converted did not have a hole drilled in them . Sounds what Dr_Terry says makes sence .

Regards
               Seb       Smiley

Yellow Knight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: