FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:09:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: fc bonnet letters  (Read 5113 times)
fcee
vic-club

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2012, 03:46:43 PM »

Hi ,would like some guidance on how to remove and replace the holden letters on my fc .thanks, steve . Wink

Sale Victioria
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 06:25:38 PM »

Steve,

You will need something thin (maybe a feeler gauge or butter knife) to slide under the old letters and gently lever them off, put a little masking tape over the paint to protect it

I can't remember the access from the back, but if you could get to the back of them it would less chance of buggering your paint, by just donging them out with something

Each bonnet letter has 2 pins on the back

The larger pin needs to locate into a small clip that should have come in the new package if you got them from Rare Spares

I put the clip into the hole in the bonnet, then press the letter in or if stubborn tap with a rubber mallet

You may be able to use the existing clips, but they can be brittle

The smaller pin is just to locate the letter in the correct orientation

Good luck

fcee
vic-club

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 04:27:45 PM »

IT seems access from the back is not an option ,but thanks for the tip ,cheers  Steve . Wink

Sale Victioria
waynos

Model: FC

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 05:12:57 PM »

ive seen plastic removal tools at a paint store........abit like a plastic screwdriver.
but as zulu said masking tape even a few layers just in case and a screwy with lots of care
ive pretty much chipped paint always taken badges off
im too impatient...........

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 06:37:50 PM »

Rather than a screwdriver - a paint scraper is the go. Strong wide metal blade, unlikely to damage the paint and applies even pressure on the letter so that the pin should not break

Ken
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 06:53:24 PM »

yeah thats why i always chip paint haha

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 06:32:53 PM »

Steve,

You will need something thin (maybe a feeler gauge or butter knife) to slide under the old letters and gently lever them off, put a little masking tape over the paint to protect it

I can't remember the access from the back, but if you could get to the back of them it would less chance of buggering your paint, by just donging them out with something

Each bonnet letter has 2 pins on the back

The larger pin needs to locate into a small clip that should have come in the new package if you got them from Rare Spares

I put the clip into the hole in the bonnet, then press the letter in or if stubborn tap with a rubber mallet

You may be able to use the existing clips, but they can be brittle

The smaller pin is just to locate the letter in the correct orientation

Good luck

Hi all, so I've bought some little barrel spring clips (or whatever you call them) to put my letters back on the bonnet.
1. do you push the clips from the outside into the holes(and then the little prongs catch on the inside) and then push the letters into them.
2. my clips seem a bit big when you just place them over the pins on the letters- or do they squish in a bit once you push them into the bonnet?
Thanks again
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 07:10:03 PM »

It doesn't sound right to me. I would try one out on a sheet of metal drilled with the right size hole and push the clip in to see what happens.

Ken
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 08:31:30 PM »

It doesn't sound right to me. I would try one out on a sheet of metal drilled with the right size hole and push the clip in to see what happens.

Ken

Sounds a plan, they seem to big to me, will see how it goes, ta
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: