FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:39:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: SPEEDO,FUEL GAUGES  (Read 14045 times)
njf690

Model: FC

heya

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2012, 10:54:43 AM »

what is the best to use when you  modify to run ecotec conversion right through  to keep the  original look  on the dash of the fc . i dont want tacos and temp gauges all over the place. doesn't look right . any ideas or places  i could look at would help.
 it looks like keeping the old speedo isn't on the cards?

cheers
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 11:38:50 AM »

Hi njf690
Mate V6 conversions do a speedo kit that adapts to the original speedo I am just about to order one from Pat for my mine.

Regards
Neil H
njf690

heya

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 11:39:48 AM »

CHEERS WILL TAKE A LOOK
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 04:36:26 PM »

Hi njf690, for the fuel gauge, if you are using a Commodore fuel tank, the VB to VL Commodore fuel gauge fits in the original FC fuel gauge casing with a bit of trimming of the facia and a bit filed off the bottom of the gauge. Make sure you fit the 8 volt regulator in the circuit as the Commodore gauge runs off 8-10 volts and will burn out if connected straight to 12 volts. I found out the hard way!. The regulator is mounted on the printed circuit board of the Commodore instrument cluster though I found it easier to purchase a new one from Jaycar. The no is 7808. Hope this helps, cheers, Jack
brett_f

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 05:08:58 PM »

njf690,
If you are running a commo tank you can have the sender recalibrated to suit the original petrol guage.
Brett
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 07:30:53 PM »

Hi njf690
Mate V6 conversions do a speedo kit that adapts to the original speedo I am just about to order one from Pat for my mine.

Regards
Neil H
Im looking at extending the ribbon to the LCD but is proving a massive pain in the Arse. I have found a guy that converts the VSS to mechanical to move the needle and has replaced the mechanical odometer to an LCD one and with a hidden switch goes from odometer to trip computer. That is the only function unfortunately. Wants a pretty penny for it too. But I want all the functions that come with the VT mode switch. Even looked at motorbike displays.
Desperate I put a post on the commodore site to see if anyone there had any ideas.....
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/198492-mode-readout-lcd-challenge.html

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 10:56:50 PM »

So what did you end up doing?

njf690

heya

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 12:58:11 AM »

still awaiting reply from my auto electrican to see which direction is best to take. i have a custom  fuel tank. he is looking into different gauges to suit? v6 conversions helped as well
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 11:40:33 AM »

Can you keep me informed?
Cheers

njf690

heya

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 11:36:49 PM »

for sure
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 11:16:44 PM »

Have a look at my build ' here we go again ' .

I have a custom tank runnig the VN commie sender and have an aftermarket guage from Classic Guages (Google) out of the US.

I also purchased a tacho and temp guage to make it worth while. The guage works perfectly.

With the depth of the tank I had to modify the float arm but all works very well.

Regards

Craig D
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 12:40:44 PM »

nes138

Mate I have just received the speedo adapter kit from V6 conversions but haven't fitted it yet Pat supplies the mechanical cable and a mechanical adapter that screws into the gearbox it also has the electrical plug which I am assuming allows the ECU to still receive a speed signal. I will know more after I fit it.

As for the rest of my dash I run VDO Cockpit Royale gauges along with my original dash gauges, my water temp gauge works fine, my oil pressure gauge I have had to change the VP sender as it is a switch and only tells you if you have pressure or not so it works fine for the dash oil light but not for a pressure gauge. I am running a VP fuel tank with the internal pump so I am going to have either the sender altered or the gauge to suit.

I could not get my tacho to work no matter what I tried and then found out that the signal from a VP is only a 5 volt square signal and my tacho needed between 8 and 12 volts so I have purchased and fitted a signal amplifier and my tacho nows reads perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Neil
njf690

heya

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 05:00:58 PM »

thanks for that, it really helps me . thanks again

keep us up to date with progress. i think a few guys/gals are keen on knowing more

do you know the exact size speedo you got to fit the oringal dash panel?
and where did you order from
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 05:53:23 PM »

I think its a 4" round one....

Thanks Neil

njf690,
Aren't you trying to keep the original gauges?

Check this out, FC speedo with LCD in it. Trip computer only, no mode read outs
http://www.howardinstruments.com.au/userfiles/images/FC-Holden-Electronic-Speedo.jpg

njf690

heya

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »

Yeah really trying to . Who does that mod to the speedo ?
njf690

heya

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 06:01:41 PM »

I will give
Howard instruments  a call
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 06:31:33 PM »

I think he said about 8 hundred bucks but would love to talk him down. He has the VSS input to mechanical to the back of the speedo and pulls out the mechanical odometer and inserts an LCD that just counts over the k's (or miles). Switch supplied to go between odometer and current "trip".

I want to be able to read all the mode stuff that you can get off a VT instrument cluster (like digital speedo) and its proving very difficult.

If you do ring ask for multiple speedo's for a discount and see what you come up with.
Cheers

njf690

heya

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 07:11:49 PM »

I think $800 bucks is the killer . Not worth doing . Will go for a similar electronic speedo
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 10:06:19 PM »

I think $800 bucks is the killer . Not worth doing . Will go for a similar electronic speedo
Exactly why I am still looking at something else.....
Whats the VSS one from V6conversions worth?

FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 03:41:44 PM »

Guys the V6 Conversion VSS mod is $250 thats why I went that way.

I have to put my car back on the stands to fit it but it looks fairly straight forward.

Regards
Neil
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: