FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:04:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: wheel siza and width  (Read 4122 times)
dam-mad

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2003, 03:12:43 AM »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me me how big I can go with wheels before running into problems.. Would like to go as large as I can, thinking maybe 15's

Also if 15's can be used how wide can I go with the rims..

Thanks
Deano
Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2003, 04:55:03 AM »

Deano
I run 14 x 7 with 60 series tyres and 1 inch offset on my FC with no real problems, but it is only lowered an inch at the back. I will have to use an LJ Torana housing before I can go any lower. I have no problems on the frond end which is HR Disk Brake. I would imagine you could run 15 x 7 with 50 series tyres if you run a Toran axle housing.
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2003, 10:23:51 AM »

Hey Jock
What width tyres do you run on the 14x7 rims? I have a set of 13x6 and 14x6 Tasmans that I will be fixing up soon. I was going to go 13x5 and keep the 14x6, do the tyres tuck up under the guards without scraping?
What's the track on the LJ housing compared to the FC?

Cheers

Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2003, 10:54:10 AM »

G'day Glen
I run 195 x 65 on the rears and 165 x 60 on the fronts, the rear is lowered an inch and the front is down 2 inches, I have no clearance problems at present, but if I went  down to 2 and a half on the rear like I want to the tyres would rub. The Torana housing is approximately 2  inches narrower than the FC housing and should give me the clearance to go lower.
Hope this helps
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2003, 12:12:33 PM »

your tasmans will clear front and back with ease, you could from memory go quite wide with tyres on the 14x6 tasmans, i used to run 13x9 chromies with 265 TA's,but had to roll inner lip of guards which cant be seen from outside car.but when i hit pot holes the tyre would rub the inner wheel well but that was big pot holes.
i had 14x7 Delta 5 slot mags on back of 1 fe i had with 235x14x60 series with no problems

Digger

Classic not Plastic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2003, 07:51:31 PM »

G'Day Deano,

I'm running 215x65x14in on the front of my car and 235x60 x14in tyers on the rear, the mags are STD 6.6in wide HG with a 4in offset (I think).
I'm running a HR front end with LH Torana disks and calipers lowered 2 1/2in and the rear is a HR diff housing with 2 1/2in lowering blocks, the only thing I had to do was tap up the inner lips of the rear guards and I have no problems with the tyers hitting or rubbing.
I have also ran 15in x 7in wide rims with a 4 1/4in off set and 15inx195x60 tyers all round and had no worries.
Hope it helps,
Steve
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2003, 08:48:48 PM »

Digger,
Is the HR housing a different track width to the STD FE/C diff?
Will the HR diff housing bolt straight in or does it need work?

Digger

Classic not Plastic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2003, 09:35:01 PM »

G'day Stinky,
The HR diff housing is the same width/track as the FC and an easy swap, you can use either the HR or FC saddles or U-bolts to mount to the springs and you have to relocate the brakets to hold the hand- brake cables to the body.(I think I used the HR brakets)
Also the HR hydraulic brake line is a smaller diameter, you can use a reducer from the FC rubber line onto the diff or have a brake shop make up a line with the appropriate size on each end. I’m running LH disk brake callipers up front so I replaced all the brake lines to the smaller diameter.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: