FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:06:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 350 chev conversion kit  (Read 19824 times)
John253a
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 12:22:31 AM »

If the car was Reg in your name then transferred to Vic there'd be no problem

Ive considered this as I have many ralos in Sa so no issue there, but have since found out it's cheaper to get an iva done or change out rails with hq, as freight and time to SA every time in need an inspection put it out of the question + the mucking around of Reg ad transfers adds up as well

Unless you live close to the border like dean I don't think it's a practical or feasible option,

How ofteren do you plane on driving it? As hotrod REG may be the way to go
Cheap Reg and insurance also come along with it,

ive herd some talk of people looking into getting hotrod Reg then transferring it to full Reg
May not be that easy but worth a look

If I were you idd contact you local vicroads approved engineer and speak to them, thell be able to give you better prices/ and requirements for an iva or hotrod reg

fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 01:48:44 PM »

There is a truck place in bordertown that has the regency park guys go there every fortnight or month to do the vehicle testing. This is still a separate process I believe to the actual engineering side of it. There are no engineers between ballarat and Murray bridge that i know of. But bolting on an approved chassis kit is not seen as a big deal in sa. Repairing floors and subframe to original spec does not require engineers approval. It's all the other mods such as he front, modfed brakes, steering column conversion and wipers etc require certification. I have been told by numerous sa rta people that you can have the garaging address in sa wherever you like and live in vic. I don't bekeive this to be true. You would need proof that you moved to sa in form of a utility bill I would think and then you could change license. Or if you have family there you have to be able to trust the person to put it in their name then buy it back ....if ya know what I mean. You shouldn't need to go back and forth too much for inspections. As long as you do it to what they say on the form they send you it will be ok. My situation is different, I live near border have all ny family there and once its a roller its no hastle for me as I go there regularly anyway unlike the other direction. Mine is also mire likely to be part of the sa club and used in birdwood rally and will be garaged there for real a lot of the time. I'm sort of over it atm. It's too hard to do it all anyway with no vass guys close. So I'm still investigating having it registered in sa if it is garages there by some legitimate means through my family. Doesn't matter with the other car cos it will be stock and just have gearbox mod.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
chrisfc

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 04:10:11 AM »

I had a quick lot at the street rod reg document and it seems to say that it has to have a full chassis and must not rely on the body for strength. Is this correct or did i miss something.

Regards Chris.
chrisfc

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 02:47:54 PM »

I had a quick look at the street rod reg document and it seems to say that it has to have a full chassis and must not rely on the body for strength. Is this correct or did i miss something.

Regards Chris.
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 07:08:49 PM »

I think you may be missing a very important point.  The National Street Rod Guidelines are for cars that are/look like they are pre 1949.  Unless you can prove your FC was a very "early" build date of 1949 they don"t apply.

John

NosFEratu
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 07:46:48 PM »

Have you considered carbying a 1uzfe 4 litre v8 like the speedway classes in new Zealand. I am considering this instead of the 350 which US heavier and twice as weak as a stock 4 litre bottom end for less money for same strength. They sound better and better auto box combination and lower weight and are legal.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
john253a

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 12:59:08 AM »

idd check it out as i dont think you can,
as what ever engine you fit you must comply to epa laws of the year on that motor,
i had the issue with an injected v8 in a '82' hilux and had to keep the injection, or go straight gas to comply to epa

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
chrisfc

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 01:02:56 AM »

The point i was getting at is that fe/fc's dont have a full chassis and can't be reg with a big v8 up to 460 cu under street rod reg.

Regards Chris.
chrisfc

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 01:13:30 AM »

I was referring to what john253a said about being able to register fe/fc's under streeet rod reg.

Thanks again Chris.
john253a

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 01:43:01 AM »

blown 350ci on club reg with monster tubs in rear (no back seats)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brycering/5208478308/

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
chrisfc

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2012, 03:11:24 AM »

This is what i cant understand. whats the big deal about these new national laws about only being able to fit up to 4.4l engines in fe/fc's if you can get club reg and fit blown sbc or 460cu big blocks with tubs and drive them 90 days a year. does that fc have a full chassis?  if not i don't know how it passes an engineers cert for club reg. Don't get me wrong i will be so happy if i can put a 454 or a blown sbc in my fc and drive it 90 days a year.

Regards. Chris.
john253a

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2012, 10:55:52 AM »

unless your just after the looks of a blown sbc, you can quite easily get that power out of naturally aspirated sb,
im just under 500hp on my ls3 (with only miner mods) and there only 10g for a new crate with warranty,

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
chrisfc

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »

My question is how do you get something like that registered? Is it reg as a street rod?

Chris
john253a

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2012, 09:58:36 PM »

full vig reg requires an ivc to be done or fit a chassis to it, from a heaver car and re reg it as a rebody,(so it will nolonger be an 195x fe/fc)
club reg and hotrod reg have different restrictions and best bet is to speak to an engineer about it, as they still have to sign off on it

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: