FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 23, 2024, 04:09:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Finally a runner  (Read 70679 times)
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Model: FC

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2018, 06:52:12 PM »

Thanks Rob
The NOS seals have arrived. I got one set soaking and I just tried to fit the other set into the bearing cap.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/4dvfbyuud/][/

They look awful big.  Is that the  correct way to put it in . It looks like it will need a bit of coaxing?

Nick

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2018, 09:16:58 PM »

Nick,

The seal halves are a lot longer than needed.  You'll be trimming at least half an inch off each end.

To install, bend the seal into a gentle U-shape, put it into the groove, press it down gently with your thumbs, starting from the middle and working your way outwards.  Once the seal's in the groove, push down on the ends of the seal to compress the seal in on itself and further into the groove.  Then you can trim it down as before.

Since you've got a NOS seal, you can do a little detective work for me.  Sometime between 1984 and 2006, the rear main bearing seal changed in composition.  The one I installed in '84 was smooth, glossy with graphite, quite rigid, and could take a clean knife cut.  The 2006 model, and every one I've done since, has been made of this fibreglassy, soft, fraying material that's difficult to cut cleanly, as you've discovered.  Please let me know if the NOS seal is different to work with than the one that's just come out of your motor.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2018, 02:09:54 PM »

Hey Rob
The NOS seals are a woven outside with a compressed material inside. The consistency of a firm redskin lolly
[/url
This seems to be hard to cut and is very fibrous.
Is this in far enough?
Pressed it down with a little mallets round edge.

Port Macquarie NSW
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2018, 02:22:43 PM »

Top seal is in.
Trim the edges.
Should i Put the crank back it to tighten it up??

Port Macquarie NSW
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2018, 02:46:34 PM »

It actually cuts pretty well. 1st 2 cuts horizontal and vertical and it looks pretty good. Bit of trimming. Going to get a couple of new scalpels

Port Macquarie NSW
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2018, 03:02:01 PM »

As I said it cuts quite easily. Hopefully you can see a bit more of the composition with this cut. First horizontal on the other side

Port Macquarie NSW
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2018, 03:47:20 PM »

Nick,

The installation looks good, but one thing's got me slightly worried: the mallet.  I hope you haven't pushed the sealing surface of the seal too far down.
You can check that by installing the crankshaft (without the rear main bearing cap), and tightening the front three main bearing caps down.  You should feel quite some resistance when you try to turn the crank by hand.  When you take the crank out, you would want to see an oily imprint on the crank, the full width of the seal.

You can also try the rear main bearing cap on the crankshaft like this -
Get a 3" or 4" G-clamp, and wrap the "anvil" of the G well with masking tape, because you're going to be putting it on the crankshaft journal.  Or use a piece of softwood.  Put the rear main bearing cap, with bearing shell, in its position on the crankshaft, and (gently!) tighten the main bearing cap down onto the crank with the G-clamp.  Put the clamp halfway between the bolt holes of the main bearing cap.  Don't slip.  Release the clamp, and you should see the oily imprint of the seal on the crankshaft.

It might be an idea to squeeze the sides of the seal back together a bit with your thumbnails (or square-nose pliers), so it bulges out inwards a bit more.
The crankshaft is supposed to do to the seal what you did with the mallet, if you follow me . . .

Or, if you have a vernier caliper:  Put the rear main bearing cap in position on the block, without the crank, and tighten the cap bolts down.  With the caliper, measure the inside diameter of the seal, and then measure the diameter of the crankshaft where the seal bears on the crank.  The ID of the seal has to be less than the OD of the crank, otherwise the seal won't seal.

Rob

Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2018, 07:49:20 PM »

The seal is sitting quite proud. I just placed the crank back in and there was oil marking visible.

One thing I have done is score the bearing shell!! I will need to replace this won't I. Will I have to do them all??

Nick

Port Macquarie NSW
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2018, 08:05:55 PM »

Just rereading the whole post. With regard to the seal your  say to gently massage the seal in with your hands. My grip strength is pretty good being a physiotherapist but there is no way in the wide world of sports that I could have squashed this seal even a little bit with my fingers.
I did flatten the Seal  out a little bit with a flat bar. It did go in fairly easily then, as I could then massage with my fingers.
I'll clamp it tomorrow and also just clean a bit of that pitting too on the crank.

Port Macquarie NSW
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2018, 04:58:29 PM »

Nick,

Your bearing shells are in such good condition that you won't need to replace them.  Don't worry that you have scored the inner surface of the rear main bearing.  As you've just discovered, the material is quite soft.  And luck is on your side - the bearing shell in the block is put under less load than the shell in the bearing cap.  The only thing to worry about is dirt or grit on the bearing surface.  Wipe the bearing clean with a lint-free rag, and then run your fingertip inside the bearing.  If it feels smooth to the finger, it is smooth.

Your bearings all look shiny and unmarked on the inside.  If they have deep scratches or embedded foreign matter, then it'd be worth replacing them.  One other thing to look for is voids in the bearing metal.  These generally look like little crows' feet or snowflakes of missing metal.  If you have these, you'd be best off replacing your bearings.

And before you clean the pitting off the crank where the seal seals, again I'd advise caution.  All the seal needs to seal against is a smooth surface.  It doesn't care whether the surface is metal or oxide.  Again, I'd suggest the fingertip test.  If the surface feels smooth to your finger, I'd leave it as it is.  If you feel slight roughness, polish the surface lightly with 600 or finer wet'n'dry and see how it feels when you rub your finger along it.

Rob

Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2018, 03:28:38 PM »

Ok I'm back
The crank just had remnants from the old seal.
It linished off smoothly.
I had a mate who knew an old mechanic who came round and put in the rear main seal.

It took 4 hours but it was great watching him!
Now it's put together time.
I have a new gasket for the sump and bearing cap.
The sump gasket looks great. Do I trim the main cap gaskets as they seem a bit big?

Port Macquarie NSW
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2018, 04:17:45 PM »

main cap bearing gaskets fit pretty good . I guess I should trim the end off?

Port Macquarie NSW
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2018, 07:12:15 PM »

Back in the 70's I worked at the first service station in this area with my brother in law ,we had the workshop as well and we would use a large socket close to the crank size to shape the seal as we trial fitted the bearing on and off until the seal was fitted and trimmed correctly. Easier than lifting the crank in and out. Just a thought . Cheers Haydn
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2018, 08:32:46 PM »

Nick,

Welcome back.

Yes, it helps to trim a little off the end cork seals to make them seat better.  You may also find it easier if  you put a slight chamfer all the way along the cork so it starts more easily into the groove.

Rob

Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2018, 12:22:15 PM »

Thanks
Haydn the rear main is in now,  it's the endcap bearing  gasket that I will trim and butt the sump gasket up to the endcap.
That way it is continuous with the surface of the block.
Getting there!!

Port Macquarie NSW
Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2018, 02:12:52 PM »

Thanks
Haydn the rear main is in now,  it's the endcap bearing  gasket that I will trim and butt the sump gasket up to the endcap.
That way it is continuous with the surface of the block.
Getting there!!

Getting close now Nick.
John

Better in Green
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2018, 10:32:51 PM »

Still heaps to do John. Upholstery and some rust

Cam in and cover on. Bolts shortened so not to foul endcap sump gasket.

Port Macquarie NSW
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2018, 06:11:10 AM »

Nearly back together.

Port Macquarie NSW
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up