FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:05:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: couple of questions  (Read 2605 times)
Dave

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2003, 06:54:40 AM »

G'day fellas,
 Have an FC that is causing a few headaches.  132 grey motor with extractors.

1) Overheats at times, generally after half an hour of round town driving or so (but have hardly driven the thing)...have replaced thermo (180 degree), lower hose, flushed it with radiator flush, new fan belt.  It doesnt lose water or run hot on short runs - 20min or so.

could it be timing? havent tuned it yet, but starts and runs well, and doesnt seem to need tuning.

2) 1st gear has a sort of metallic grinding sound?

3) have a a chrome sideplate and sports air filter to fit...should i expect any problems?  will the filter make a strommy run lean as opposed to the old oil bath?

thats all for now i think

cheers
Dave
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 07:43:42 AM »

Hi Dave.
I am no "Expert", but I have been down the same path.

Question 1/
It may be the water pump. The impeller (Is that how you spell it?) could be shot.
It could also be the timing. I had a "Dabble" at tuning by ear once. The car went OK, but got really hot, very fast.

2/ If it grinds, it is more than likely rooted. Have you checked the oil level in the gearbox lately? It may seem like a stupid question, but I had my gearbox seized solid at 50kmh, because I assumed it would be full of oil. No such luck. Dry as.

3/
Sideplate will fine. Aircleaner should be put on, then get an expert to tune it all up. Remember it will need to be tuned differently than the workshop manual states, as all the fuels are much higher octane now & therefore the timing has to be adjusted ti suit.

Hope this helps.
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
Dave

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2003, 08:30:52 AM »

thanks,

replaced radiator...all seems good.

drained, flushed and refilled gearbox, and first gear is still noisy.  We have a spare gearbox (spare everything came with the car...even radiator!) - is there a way of knowing how good a box is before its installed???

Or would anyone know what its worth to drop out the old one and get it overhauled...or just try the other one and hope that it works?

Also, will change the diff oil soon - would it be worth dissasembling the diff centre and cleaning the internals properly?

thanks again
Dave
Leon (FCCOOL)
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 12:29:57 AM »

I wouldnt worry to much about changing the diff oil let alone pulling it out to clean it as long as the level is up, if you have that much spare time maybe you should give that other radiator a try.
you dont have to advance your timing to suit the modern fuel but you can take advantage of the higher octane by advancing. even unleaded has higher octane than standard so unleaded is going to do a better job than the good ol standard providing you add a lubricant.
due to modern fuel and various engine mods I have never attempted to set my timing of the origional specs, instead I grab a spanner and go for a few hotlaps, its always worked for me, all you have to do is choose the fuel you want to use( I wouldnt pay for anymore than unleaded with the compression of a grey)and take a spanner for the dizzy get it up to running temp, and take it for some hot laps, advance the timing as far as you can before it pings then back it of a bit and test it again change up gears earlier and try a few hills to see if it is going to ping and make sure you floor it, if it pings still back it of a little more and try it again, you may even find you can now get lower times on the quarter than when the car was new because of todays fuel, I dont know if you are aware but a incorrect or faulty radiator cap can cuase overheating.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: