FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:14:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My FC Rebuild  (Read 212942 times)
DJ
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: December 06, 2017, 01:15:14 PM »

Congratulations Jim.

Dave
0417 270 315
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 06, 2017, 01:44:19 PM »

Congrats Jim.
Cheers,
Graham
Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 06, 2017, 07:45:33 PM »

Congratulations Jim, Pleased you have joined the club,enjoy retirement.
Cheers
John

Better in Green
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 11, 2018, 01:41:46 PM »

I have finally found an engine reconditioner that will do the right thing and not rip you off. He was recommended by a customer off mine who has had work done by him in the past. So I have pulled the motor apart and will be dropping it off this afternoon so he can check it out.
All being well, it will be cleaned & tested, bored +60, new bearing & brass welch plugs. Head will get 202 valves, hardened seats and stronger springs. Hopefully it will be ready when we get back from our cruise, so I’ll post the results when we return.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 19, 2018, 02:18:35 PM »

Picked up the engine this morning all finished ready to put back together. Everything’s in good order, no cracks or damage so nowI can begin the rebuild. Was told by the guy that did the work that the pistons & rings I bought are 3-1/16 plus 60 so I now have a 3-3/16 bore, so with the head work, the triples & the cam it should be a good performer. I’ll post some photos and a video when I have it running.
Jim

geebeefc

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 19, 2018, 07:18:54 PM »

Hello, Good you have found a reliable engine re-conditioner. I may be wrong, but I think 3 1/16 + .060" is closer to 3 1/8 bore as  1/16" is .0625", while 1/8" is .125", therefore   3 1/16" + .060" would be approx 3 1/8". This is a good, reliable size for an oversize bore. Cheers.
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 20, 2018, 08:23:46 AM »

My mistake, they are 3-1/8 plus60 advertised on eBay.
Jim

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 06, 2018, 09:33:03 PM »

Back on home soil, have the engine back together just need to rebuild the cross member and fit it into the subframe so I can fit the engine and gear box in place to set up the header pipes. Have them bent up now it’s a matter of getting them in the correct position to clear the mounts and gearbox. Will let you know how it goes.
Jim

graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 07, 2018, 08:13:49 AM »

Hi Jim,
Who did you use to do your engine? What was the approximate cost?
Cheers,
Graham
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 07, 2018, 06:09:17 PM »

Hi Graham, Les Noyce at ElToro estate Liverpool, $2900 which included chemical clean all parts, gaskets, bearings, rebore & hone, clean and check oil pump, rebuilt head with 186 valves & springs, hardened seats. I supplied the oversized pistons & rings and the rebuild.
I’ll be at the meeting on Tuesday if you want any more information.
Jim

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 14, 2018, 01:09:53 PM »
+1

Now the house is sold and had no luck selling the FC, I have been finishing off the front end and diff so I can get the car mobile and move it to a mates place. He has let me use his shed for storage so I can work on it over the next few months and get it back on the road.
The only trouble with moving into an over 55s village is they frown on a lot of noise from hammering and grinding. But at least the villa has a double garage so I’ll have a place for it when complete.
Jim

Stash
nsw-club

Sydney, NSW

johnchaplin
View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 15, 2018, 01:16:51 PM »

Hey Jim,

Just been catching up on your progress.
Retired hey! Great you can help me with my project  Wink

Selling the FC - Please tell me it is not true..

All the best

John
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 15, 2018, 05:48:35 PM »

Hey John good to hear from you, due to health issues with my wife and myself I was going to sell it but not much interest. We have run out of time as we are moving in two weeks so it’s a mad scramble to get the car mobile so I can move it over to a mates place. He has let me store it in his shed so I can work on it a couple of days a week to get it finished.
Jim

Stash
nsw-club

Sydney, NSW

johnchaplin
View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 15, 2018, 05:55:24 PM »

A good mate.

You dont want to have to sell it after all the work you put in.
Sorry to hear about your wife, hope she is on the mend.

Will try to get to a meeting one of these days ...  Cheesy Cheesy

John
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 15, 2018, 06:00:20 PM »

Got the front end all finished yesterday, cross member rebuilt and bolted back onto the subframe. Cleaned up and painted the engine and all the boltons as well as cleaned the gearbox ready for new gaskets and paint. Next step bolt them back together and fit them into the front end and set the header pipes for clearance between the gearbox and the idler arm.
Jim

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 29, 2018, 04:03:33 AM »

Not a happy camper, rolled the car out of the garage onto the patio so I could finish off the fit up. Fitted the motor and gearbox into the front end and started the header pipes. Then jacked up the rear end and changed over the old FC diff with the cleaned and painted EH 3.55 diff only to find out when I put the wheels on there is a real slap and lag in the diff. The while rolling the car back into the garage, my son noticed a distinct noise from the diff as well (so much for the in good order diff from a customer). Luckily I have a 3.36 centre I can swap over and hope it’s in better condition. At least the car is mobile and ready for the move tomorrow.
Jim

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 16, 2019, 08:55:10 PM »

Just thought I would fill everyone in on what’s been happening since last year. The health gods haven’t been all that kind to me and as a consequence not much has been done one the car. I have, however had a few days here and there to get some work done. I’ve been able to adjust the Rh sill enough to get the gap ok but still need to fully bolt the guard on and check the alignment of the lower swage to make sure. If this doesn’t work, I’ll have to cut the sill off and replace it.
Till next time,
Jim

DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 16, 2019, 10:17:02 PM »

Good luck with the alignment Jim. Hope your next update says good health has returned for Christmas & you are ready to tear into it again in 2020.

Dave
0417 270 315
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 17, 2019, 06:59:32 AM »

Good to read your update Jim ,little by little you will get there ,and thanks for your phone call yesterday,for heads up on rear window seals for special ,as I said yesterday I will attempt to fit the trim in the rubber ,hopefully tomorrow ..For those of you reading this ,Jim is going to fit my front rear screens ,I went to him with both glass and trim to fit up to be prepared and down the track he would put them in body ,I elected to do it that way as I was alerted some of the Rare Spares seals don't fit..Sure enough the front wasn't easy but he got there ,the rear would not assemble up ,not putting in the body ,just putting it on the glass and fitting the stainless trim in ,I took the seal back to Rare Spares and they replaced it ( in July ) , told Jim ,put it aside till we are ready again ,Jim rang me yesterday ,he is doing another rear one ,recently bought and it wont fit ...OK companys have problems..but surely you test fit your products ,and if not correct withdraw it ,don't sell a product known to be faulty ..twice ..Rares have acknowledged the problem and have no stock they can guarantee ...so where to now ??who else sells screen rubbers ? Old Auto are Rares ?Any one have one to sell ? all the best Vern .

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 02, 2020, 10:18:10 AM »

I’ve noticed that there have been quite a few more views on my page, so I thought I should give an update. Since my last post I decided to remove the offending sills and replace them with the NOS one I had acquired some time ago, the quick fix approach didn’t work and after looking at what I’d done and how it looked I bit the bullet and crabbed the grinder. With our recent cruise and the mates place being flooded and now the lockdowns, time on the car has been limited once again. Hopefully this or next week I’ll be able to get back into it and get it all sorted as this is really the only thing stopping me from having the car painted. I think I will also need to replace the bonnet as there is rust bubbling through below the letters and across the rear corners as well. Will post some pictures when I have the sills done.
Jim

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: