FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:39:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rear crankshaft seal  (Read 2200 times)
gk

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2003, 04:57:17 AM »

Could anybody give me some information on replacing the rear crankshaft seal on an FC special with original grey motor and three speed.
Is it a rope seal?
do i need any special tools??
Does the gearbox or the motor have to come out, or just the sump Etc.....
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks....Grant.
olden-56
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 06:50:09 AM »

It is a rope seal and as far as i know ther isnt any other available. You can get a tool from repco called a sneaky pete you screw the corksrew in to the old one and just pull it out turning the fan at the same time . Replace new one by cliping rope on wire and clip provided in kit and feed it through again turning the fan then trim off excess rope with sharp knife DONT cut the crank should be able to do this taking the sump off only. Good luck.
SEB

Three on the tree, 132 CI and 3.89:1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 06:51:53 AM »

Grant,

I have never had to replace the rear seal. However I have had to remove the sump with the engine installed and you can do it. The issue is getting a good sump gasket seal afterwards which requires patience but it can be done. Make sure that you use new gaskets when you replace the sump and drop the steering drag links for extra working space. I unbolted the idler arm from the chassis and removed the pitman arm form the steering box. Whole job took about 4 hours.

The Manual says "an asbestos packing ring type rear seal" so I assume that its rope but some one will know better than me.

Best regards,

Steve.
gk

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 08:51:04 PM »

Thanks for all the help.....i'll give it a go this weekend
Grant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode)