FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 03:58:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Seat belts  (Read 18412 times)
FE 4 ME
qld-club

Model: FE

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 07:58:10 AM »

you get a +1 from me Rusty for taking the time to post a diagram and pics that really helps us all who are in this situation

thankx mate

FE 4 ME

$$$ Parts Catalogue 1948-1969 for sale ONLY $15 $$ all Money goes to the FE/FC Club QLD PM Me to get this great Catalogue
FE 4 ME
qld-club

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 07:32:37 PM »

Hi guys  i came across these on ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-SEAT-BELT-RETAINING-PLATES-BOLTS-FX-FJ-FE-FC-FB-EK-EJ-EH-HD-HR-HK-HOLDEN-/170701894456?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bea03338

i'm sure that all sharp edges have to be rounded off to stop pulling through the floor on impact

and i was in conversation with a guy who installs seat belts and baby seats as his trade an sells similar brackets for approx. $3.00

if you read through seat belt threads on here you will find ( and confirmed by the above installer ) that the area circumference of the plate has to equal 3" square

correct me if im wrong, as i dont want to post things that aren't right... but this is the information i've gathered

hopefully this might help some out there who are in the same position

rusty I'm keen to know the measurements and thickness of the bottom pillar bracket.... that really looks the part

thankx guys

" Have a Great Holden ( FE ) Day !!!" SmileySmileySmiley

FE 4 ME

$$$ Parts Catalogue 1948-1969 for sale ONLY $15 $$ all Money goes to the FE/FC Club QLD PM Me to get this great Catalogue
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 07:06:23 AM »

Hi guys  i came across these on ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-SEAT-BELT-RETAINING-PLATES-BOLTS-FX-FJ-FE-FC-FB-EK-EJ-EH-HD-HR-HK-HOLDEN-/170701894456?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bea03338

i'm sure that all sharp edges have to be rounded off to stop pulling through the floor on impact

Gouging twice  Tongue

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 09:31:30 AM »

For seat belt plates, I've always worked off the NSW guide which is 65mm x 45mm x 3mm.  this works out to be approx 4.5inch square.

those ebay plates are expensive, I normally just use flat bar, and go to the wreckers for bolts which would cost about $10.

I installed a retractable reel similar to Rusty as well, except using thicker steel.  I found a scrap piece of folded steel, cut and drilled it... too easy!

Cheers 

Ed

in the shed
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 08:02:29 AM »

Hi Leon, I did my lower bracket a little different to Rusty's, made an angle bracket with the nut welded to the inner surface, then drilled a hole in the b pillar and welded it in position around the pillar & floor. This gave a flush fit to the pillar with a bit more space between the seat . Also I have seen the pillar bolts on ebay Regards Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Maco
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 09:04:08 AM »

I made an angle bracket with the nut welded to the inner surface, then drilled a hole in the b pillar and welded it in position around the pillar & floor. This gave a flush fit to the pillar with a bit more space between the seat .

Leon this is what I did to my car.

Cheers
John

Better in Green
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2011, 10:14:43 AM »

The common sense engineering rules are;
a) don't use any thinner material than what the seat belt bracket is made from
b) don't use any bolt smaller than the bolts the seat belt is normally retained with (inc don't use course threads when fine threads were standard)

If you follow these 2 rules then engineers will generally be quite happy.

Ken
leon

My FC Business Sedan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2011, 09:05:05 PM »

Thanks all for your input, I won't be welding as that would mean I'd have to respray the car and I rather not go down that line.
Ken what you mentioned made a lot of sense, I've done everything except the pillar bolts, just waiting on the kit to arrive. Wink
Regards.
Leon.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: