FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 07, 2024, 10:07:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey motor bypass oil filter info request and questions  (Read 14609 times)
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2011, 12:20:59 PM »

Ladies and Gents,

Now that the heater and windscreen washer enthusiasts guides are done, I would like to write a similar document about the accessory oil filters (cant help myself   Cheesy). I've been collating together quite a bit of info on the filters, and will try to make the filter document similar to the last two guides. I'll cover identification, installation, overhaul and part numbers. I have also pulled together a fair bit of info as to what is required to turn a grey motor into full-flow filtration, and will include that in the guide. As before, I'll post the document onto the forum for all to use.

If anyone has any info on the oil filters (photos, installation instructions, scans from Accelerator magazines, anecdotes etc) and are willing to share, could they please forward them to me? Happy to pay postage to get hold of photocopies if needs be.

As a starting point, I am trying to tie down how to verify the manufacturer of each of the filters offered (AC Delco, FRAM and Ryco). From some digging, I would propose the following criteria:
RYCO - red lid, red canister, bracket either welded, clamped or U-bolted to canister, inlet on the side near the top of canister.
FRAM - black lid, red canister, bracket welded to canister, inlet on the side near the bottom of canister
A.C. Delco - black, engine grey or hammertone silver canister, bare cast metal lid (with lettering cast in), bracket clamped or U-bolted to canister, inlet on the side near the top of canister.

Note that the red paint is renowned for fading/ageing, and is often described as orange (original filters were nearly fire-engine red).

Does anyone have a different way of identifying the filters, or believe the above to be incorrect (especially the location of the inlet, which I have surmised from trawling through quite a few photos or original filters)?

Cheers,
Harv
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 05:46:30 PM »

Harv, I think I agree with everything you have written re the 3 filters including inlet positions. I don't have a pic of Fram so can't confirm - pics & fitting instructions I have for both AC & Ryco both show inlet at the top.
Part numbers:
RYCO - Unknown - No 463 (Ryco part number)
FRAM - 7406020 (accellerator magazine) and 7405426 (parts book)(7405460 filter)
AC - 7405214 (accellerator magazine) and 7406603 (fitting instructions) ZR1 filter

The FE parts book lists 7406020 as the only applicable filter for FE
7405214 is listed as an FX / FJ filter

The EJ parts book lists 7406603 (AC) as a filter kit suitable for all models & 7405426 (Fram) for FX FJ only
This is a complete reversal of the earlier parts book.

I can't find a reference for the Ryco filter in any of my stuff.

Keep up the good work

Ken
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 07:45:48 PM »

Thanks Ken.

The only Ryco numbers I can lay my hands on (at least so far) are RPO293, and M31381 for the cartridge - lots of parts numbers for AC Delco and Fram filters, cartridges and parts assemblies, but precious little for Ryco.

Would love a photocopy or scan of any installation instructions - have only got hold of the AC Delco instructions for FE so far. I guess all the instructions will be pretty similar (the filters are not rocket science), but would like a set for each of AC, FRAM and Ryco if I can.

Cheers,
Harv
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »

In digging through some of the info, I've found some interesting bits.

FX/FJ's had their own unique oil filter part numbers (7405214 for A.C. Delco, and 7405426 for FRAM) whilst all the other grey motors (FE/FC/FB/EK/EJ) generally shared the same part number. Anyone know what makes the FX/FJ filters different to other greys?

The grey motor mounting brackets normally pick up the side-plate mounting screws. The mounting bracket in the picture below has an additional "ring" that fits over the bottom of the filter and has three holes in it - any idea what it mounts to?

Cheers,
Harv
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 02:36:07 PM »

The FJ and 48's ive seen have the filter mounted much lower on the engine so as not to cause issues with the spark plug leads and the distributor adjustment. Maybe thats the reason for the different part number, the bracket must be different.
Cheers,
Graham
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 04:30:06 PM »

Damn.... I must have more than a dozen photos of different filter setups, and never noticed.

There is definitely two different "heights" for the FRAM filters, and the photos I have where FRAM filters are installed in humpies do show the "lower" FRAM filter.

I can see two different mounting brackets for the A.C. Delco filters too, though none of my photos show one mounted in a humpie.

There isn't a seperate FJ/FX part number for Ryco filters, and all my Ryco photos look the same "height".

Thanks Graham - my guess is you're right!
Stewy
sa-club

Model: FE

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 05:21:54 PM »

Hi Harv,
In my 1962 motor spares catalogue it lists for Ryco Filters

HOLDEN:
With Fram F-3 Filter             1949/59               R3 or R3P

With AC  K.5 Filter               1958/62               R2080P

Suits both Fram and AC        1949/62               R2133

With Ryco Filter                  1949/62               R4 or R4P

Oil Filter 
K463A  complete      $5/10/0           note $ is pounds
Oil Filter #  R4             15/6    replacement cartridge
Oil Filter #  R3             15/-        cartridge

Hope this is of some use

Cheers Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 01:34:26 PM »

Thanks Stewy!
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 10:22:27 PM »

Ken,

Hope you get to read this, as I suspect my PMs are not getting through (on the road for work so could be a wierd internet connection). I got the paper copies of the filter docs, but need to confirm that I have understood what each one is.

Cheers, and thanks again,
Harv.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 07:44:02 PM »

Harv, I sent the following Fitting instructions

Holden oil filter (flared tube). No part number but looks to be a Ryco filter with bracket welded to body and metal pipes rather than hoses. 2 pages

Oil filter specially designed for Holden. No part number and non genuine - unknown brand - both inlet and outlet pipes go into the top of the filter. 1 page

How to fit Ryco R2133 on Holden vehicles - Has GMH part numbers on it but would be issued by Ryco. (1 page)

Oil filter AC type - Part no 7406603. Holden issue - shows bracket with clamp and flexible hoses. (2 pages)

instructions for installing Ryco no 463 oil filter on Holden all models - Bracket welded to body one flexible hose, one pipe. Issued by Ryco. (1 page)

Regards  Ken
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 10:02:32 PM »

Thanks Ken - appreciated  Grin. Should have the document out in the next few days.
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

Model: FC

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 12:48:35 PM »

Hi Harv did you ever finish this paper. Interested in having a read.

Regards

Wayne b
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 07:39:19 PM »

Yep - here 'tis:
http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,19567.0.html

Cheers,
Harv.
Pages: [1]   Go Up