FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 01, 2024, 07:22:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Grey Motor Timing Gear  (Read 7251 times)
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« on: March 13, 2003, 05:08:09 AM »

Hi Ladies & Gents
I am wanting to start a new conversation on timing gear for the old girl.

1.   Timing Gear Problams, and

2.   Timing Gear Options.

What are your thoughts and or experiences.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2003, 06:12:42 AM »

Hi Jim,
         I cant speak from experience so to speak because i always pull the old grey out of every early holden i buy and upgrade, so ive never had dramas.But
i think the general concensus is,the old fibre gears just dont cut the mustard.Pretty sure there are steel are alloy ones on the market though.My advise is put a CHEV in it. Wink.
CHEERS.........BRAD Grin
« Last Edit: March 13, 2003, 06:13:37 AM by brads59 » Logged

1959 Black Std sedan
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2003, 06:36:57 AM »

See reply in
http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=howto;action=display;num=1046161580;start=15
John M

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2003, 07:56:16 AM »

Hi
John and thanks for the info. Brad wants me to rip out the grey and put in a chev. I will do that one day but not to this car she is gonna stay as original as possable.

Think I might by a shell and modify that with a blown chev and go drag racing.

cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2003, 11:04:52 AM »

Wild Bunch FC Cool
« Last Edit: March 13, 2003, 11:05:16 AM by fcmayberry » Logged

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2003, 01:02:55 PM »

The all-but guaranteed way to ensure a fibre timing gear shreds itself is to allow the oiler that lubricates it to get blocked.  I think fibre timing gears get a bad rap.  If the motor is clean and they are getting the lubrication they need, they will last a very long time.  If they are allowed to dry out, they of course get brittle and let go.

Otherwise, they helical cut jobs are definitely the way to go.  Bear in mind that even steel and allow timing gear can let you down like any other part of the engine if it is not getting oiled properly.

Hope that helps,
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
HARKO
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2003, 01:18:54 PM »

Keep in mind also that both steel and alloy ,Whilst stronger will run a little noisier  (noticably) Smiley
Cat
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2003, 11:19:42 PM »

Mmmm RET, sounds like you've been "Dennised" too!  Grin  I agree totally with what you've said based on all the advice I've received and research I've done.
Cat

Zoom zoom!
ChrisB

"Shiny Bits"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2003, 10:59:11 AM »

Re timing gear,

I have had this lovely experience, my old girl had been sitting in a shed in Goulburn for 25 years, the fellows I bought it off had rebuilt the motor BUT NOT REPLACED the timing gear. This lead to to my happy experience. I have heard many stories of people doing the replacement on the side of the road, but I decided it was time to turn it to my advantage. Unlike others I pulled the cam as I thought, If they did not replace the gear I am dam sure they did not grind the cam either.
In short new steel gears grank and cam, grind cam to a towing cam (much Better performance) and now heres hoping.

Cheers ChrisB  Cool
Cat
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2003, 12:40:14 AM »

Jus a quick note for those who are interested, I have just had my original fibre timing gear in TC replaced for a new fibre timing gear.

The gear has lasted for over 73,000 miles so far.  It has worn in 3 places, these are apparently "the usual" places for it to wear, and eventually it would have gone.

The oil spout that feeds the oil to the gear was functioning properly so there were no problems there.  Actually the whole engine was very very clean and lookin' goooood!  Grin  Cool huh?!

So we decided to replace the fibre gear with another one.  As everything is working well, and we got over 73,000 miles on the original gear, why not replace it with what was made for it and go for another 73,000 miles?

Apparenlty it runs a little quieter than the metal gears so that's good.  Also our oil products these days are far better than they used to be and the car has been checked all over for any problems so, by my reckoning, there should be no reason for the gear to go for a long time to come.

Cat

Zoom zoom!
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2003, 08:58:16 AM »

Hi Cat,
  Bet you feel releived now that the timing gear is replaced, better to be safe than sorry. I find that if you replace the engine oil more offten and use good oil most of these problems wont ocurr.
Cat are you still looking for the tin master cyl reservoirs, I have a couple of them you can have, they look alright but I would take them to a brake place and have them checked out and cleaned.

Cheers Al

See ya
Al
Cat
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2003, 08:16:16 AM »

Yeah Al, and today she was started up and purring like dream!  That's my girl!! I am interested in those tins too.
Cat Smiley

Zoom zoom!
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2003, 12:58:22 PM »

Hi Cat,
  I will bring the tins next meeting, have a look at them and see if you want them.

Cheers Al

See ya
Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: