FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:07:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Holden Sedan "Black and White Taxi Service Co-Operative" restoration  (Read 187561 times)
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 09, 2015, 03:46:40 PM »

You're right, I don't get it.

Ken
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #261 on: March 09, 2015, 03:53:56 PM »

Nick, I don't change anything but someone else pointed that out too. It's a tapatalk fault Stinky said that they are working on. Ken, when I'm in process of doing it, I'll show you then. Is everyone clear that I intend to restore it back to how he had the taxi after it was made into a taxi, not grey original. Just clarifying.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 09, 2015, 05:38:40 PM »

Of course, I've always thought that was the plan

Ken
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Model: FC

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 09, 2015, 06:56:53 PM »

There you go Deano. show this to Ret and see  if he can fix it

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #264 on: March 10, 2015, 11:07:04 PM »

I think that's the worst photo I've ever seen ..... Or not seen lol. (Just kidding, can't see it on the phone).

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 11, 2015, 09:17:49 AM »

Embarrassed

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #266 on: March 11, 2015, 09:52:28 AM »

I deleted the app and reinstalled and buffered around with the settings. Still stuffing up.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #267 on: March 11, 2015, 06:40:11 PM »

It's a bit worse than first thought in the top corner below the left a pillar area but I should be able to save the inner sills by putting a strip below the circles on the left side. Quite a lot of work with the three projects and that doesn't include sprucing up the acco for sale. But u only live once.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 18, 2015, 03:25:25 PM »
+1

I don't know how to express my gratitude to Fink for what he has done for me. I get a parcel slip in the post and I can't think for the life of me what I had ordered on eBay etc. Anyway I get there and it's heavy as buggery. This is what rocks up. A genuine taxi meter with a nice message inside. Fink reckons me and the boys should have it as a gift for the taxi. I have seen you do many nice things for people like this so I hope karma acts as it should. Here is my present. I will be sure to repay him one day that's for sure! How cool is the pre decimal fares tag. So I just wanted to thank you for this nice gesture.

Deano

DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 18, 2015, 04:56:14 PM »

All I got today was a couple of new caravan reversing mirrors - delivered here by mistake.
On ya Gary.

Dave
0417 270 315
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 18, 2015, 05:24:01 PM »

That got me motivated to find the diamonds fellas. I also started on the subframe repairs.

Deano

collecta
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 18, 2015, 05:25:13 PM »

That"s Gaz for ya. Onya Mate Grin Grin

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 01, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »

Bottom left A pillar is finished. Before and after pics.

Now that this side is done I don't know whether to completely remanufactured the right side or repair what's there. Seems to be at the point that I may as well do it properly like this side, but it's a lot of work. The Rares crossmembers simply did not fit and were too wide. So my advice would be to measure when you pick them up, but they might be a better supplier now. At least with this one the box section was recognizable unlike the FE.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 20, 2015, 01:46:30 PM »

I have been making some progress and have a bit more done on the floor patching with this section being the last last biggest bit. Does anyone know where I can buy the b pillar captive nut kits for the seatbelts online? I already have the floor ones.

Deano

59wagon

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 20, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »

Does anyone know where I can buy the b pillar captive nut kits for the seatbelts online? I already have the floor ones.
Hi Dean, good to see some progress. There're heaps of anchor plates on ebay from different sellers. By "captive nut" do you mean the ones held in by sheetmetal tabs?  Most of the ones I've seen are tack welded to the anchor plate.  Are your floor ones different to the "B" pillar ones?  I'm assuming you're either cutting a slot or removing a patch from the pillar, installing the plate, then welding up again.
Cheers, John
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 20, 2015, 06:32:11 PM »

These are simple to make from mild steel also, provided you have the correct dimensions (plate thickness, corner radius, chamfer etc).
Simply making them oversize with heavier plate isn't really the way. The ADR maintain the plates should allow for a certain amount of distortion without pulling through the floor or pillar.
Best ask a local engineer or vehicle registry for the dimensions & positioning beforehand, and be compliant with the latest rules. Could save a lot of drama later when everything is painted & polished up.

Dave
0417 270 315
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #276 on: July 07, 2016, 11:30:57 PM »

I'm back. Been a long boring story but now on the right combo of heart meds and to my surprise some epilepsy meds, so I am 200% better and not going funny in my head anymore. So, I have been very busy getting more tools together and finished the shed and organised the huge parts bins from doing both cars. Saved up for some more panels and got the Austin truck going and got that where I want it. Just sold my other truck today so am fighting like a seagull with the missus for some funds..... I might get some scraps if I am lucky! Got a few sneaky sales from stuff I sorted in the move. So a new compressor is much needed. I would love to replace my current Iwata gun with a Devilbliss gti pro or an Iwata 400 too. Got a new inverter tig setup, just a small one and finally an argon bottle.

I ordered the subframe radiator support from Ray which fits awesome and I love the drain/inspection holes. I found that the main body of the car was quite out of whack. But thanks to my awesome mates down the road they did some technique when welding (I missed it but I'm thinking they shrinked areas with coldness after welding, I forgot to say that previously) but it is now completely straight sitting on concrete. So after straightening out the subframe I am currently welding the patches in and am about to install the three sections of the radiator support tie members. It's important to use rope or ratchet strap to pull the upper end of the radiator bolt holes before going ahead further, so that it's all square (easier second time around).

Stripped all paint off the car and knocked out some dents and assessed any damage. Got the heat gun out and got the bog out of the rh rear bumper mount and the rounded bits near the taillight which uncovered a suspicion that it had been hit on the bumper on the corner.

So I have decided to cut the fe customs bumper mount out, which is perfect and put this original piece in the taxi. I decided to cut all the old school braze weld out and a patch and the heat affected area that was brittle as hell. It's so thick at the base below where the original spot welded seam would be that I will leave the rear one third below the mount as is. Then I will replace the mount first, then order a quarter rust panel from ray and work my way forward towards it. The inner lower dogleg is awesome as is the inner. It's good cos they brazed in a new inner boot panel from the shunt so it's not rusted.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 07, 2016, 11:45:31 PM »

Took rear end out.

See an old patch and it's all heat affected and panelbeated and stretched to buggery. So the crash (not huge though) flattened the inch wide part of the mount that gives it's bulging shape so they had an inch of bog on the outside of the mount to take up the space  Grin

The left side is quite awesome with only a small patch needed in that usual spot

There were a few minor dents that I got straight here and there and the roof had a weird depression in it that's surface rusted. There's rust in the forward left boot channel. I will chop donor bits out of the custom fe to keep this as original as possible. I shall post pics of progress on subframe but kids hogging my computer.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 24, 2016, 07:13:28 PM »

Pics of the radiator tie member condition. I am a bit further along now and have the patches cut cos I am replacing all the metal along under the radiator side of the front piece cos its all a bit thin there. We made our own with the FE but this time I wanted to try the repro ones cos they have the holes in them and I don't need any strengthening like the V8 car.

Some more pics of the old patches and rough rear corner of the car.

Some areas with dents removed and the roof stripped. The left rear quarter only has a bit of rust at the front near the wheel that I will patch.

Deano

Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 25, 2016, 02:10:28 PM »

Good to see you back into it.

Regards

Wayne b
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...