FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:16:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE 1957 - Breton Blue/Teal Blue - 327, T700, modified chassis - original body  (Read 195842 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 05:47:53 PM »

I was only joking when I wrote the above "maybe I need 2 cars" but I went parts hunting, believe it or not, I went and got a cheap UC 10 bolt diff just for keeps - and low and behold this bloke said "I know a bloke who knows a bloke who is retiring, selling up and has no room for an FC. he lost interest. Is car from Adelaide and has full owner history. Beautiful black and Riff red interior.

fc225-18852-a
Trim 254-847
Paint 253-7773
253-5300 insert

Basically same type of paint job as that trax one on the ebay link below, but was originally 2 tone grey (Black and White Taxi Service was smaller company back then and Holden didn't do factory customs like yellows).

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holden-FC-taxi-set-complete-/200584080613

Well, I went to have a look. The guy really wanted it gone, so had a look, expecting a complete disappointment. But its better than the one I have in terms of floor rust etc, and it is pretty much all there. The thing I like it comes with a lot of history, original owner details, a 1969 taxi roadworthy document and rego papers from 1973, taxi compay stickers etc.

But the great thing is, I was worried about what the missus would think, but turns out it was a local car with its owner in the suburb just down road from where my wife was raised. I have always said I wanted a themed car, perhaps an old delivery car, but now Im excited (just a little bit  Grin Grin Grin) to have the opportunity to get 2 cars, both my favourite (FE 1st and FC 2nd) back on the road.

So my plan is to continue to try and get my FE finished as a classic custom, now I will probably do full custom, change colours etc to what I want, but bring the taxi back to original taxi specs etc. with a taxi bar, meter, the whole deal, but keep it completely stock so that it can remain a part of history, from where my kids and wife were born and I grew up - Adelaide.

So now that has solved my dilema somewhat of being torn on whether to go stock or custom and I have the themed car I always wanted.

My wife used to go in bay to birdwood with her fathers 29 chev and customline, so once I told her that Id do it as a cheaper stock resto, she was a bit hooked by the prospect of getting back into the swing of the annual bay to birdwood. Grin

All is good with the world.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Cykasm

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2011, 02:07:08 AM »

The ebay page is down.

But nice work. Can't wait to see some more photo's Smiley
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2011, 08:13:49 PM »

Not only is this an untra cool document, but the engine in my blue car is actually an EK (Motor B24----)  and it had a "manufactured by Brooklands". See this list of dealers include this supplier, who was in Horsham way back in 50's. How cool is this doco that has a list of distributors at bottom.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/26833332/Holden-Owners-Manual-50s-60s

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 09:49:52 PM »

I am quite happy with the doors generally, the front pans and channels look sad.

Thanks everyone for assisting me with replies on the forum so far, much appreciated.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2011, 09:54:50 PM »

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2011, 08:13:59 PM »

I am not too freaked out by the condition of the subframe, the only real rust and lots of it is centred around where the bolts hold the bottom onto the main chassis.

Not sure whats good or bad so some comments would be good from the Gurus please. It would be good if i did it again to invite some mates over to get this part knocked over quickly.

Deano

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2011, 10:06:52 PM »

I've just realised you took out the hinges with the door attached Tongue  It's way easier if you take the door off the hinges first and then take the hinges out of the body.

Re the subframe - it looks to me like the outer subframe bolts will never come out intact, so undo the nut (if possible), clean the rust and dirt out around the shaft of the bolt where it is exposed and cut the bolt with an oxy torch as close as you can to the subframe leg. You can then work the head of the bolt out of the sill and punch out the remainder of the bolt.
The inner subframe bolts should be not too bad and these should be done next. Penetrene will help as these bolts cannot be cut out since generally the steel in this area is not rusted.
Lastly the upper bolts should be undone and then the subframe can be lowered.

Ken
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2011, 10:21:54 PM »

Thanks Ken, I realised my dopey mistake, hence I did the back doors the way you suggesed. Thanks for your advice.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2011, 08:42:42 AM »

Still progressing but slowly due to the new house block being fenced.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2011, 03:26:48 PM »

Well I got stuck into things again today. Stripped the grey out of blue car. I think cos this is not the original motor ill modify this one and do a stock rebuild on the taxi keeping it original.

These really are a beautiful looking motor. I am actually starting to think of doing a warm grey but do the modified front end with rack etc and just see what I think first before getting too far with engineers etc. Because Ill have 2 cars, it wont hurt to have 2 grey motors anyway.

This motor is in as poorer condition as I have ever seen one that would run. It's not so much the bores, which are a bit of a concern, but the crank looks to me like this was a thrashed paddock bom, in very average condition.

Just have to see if the crank is salvagable, get block tested, hardly any valve recess, looks like a newer head but the bottom end neglected. Had a broken ring in number 6 but not too scored on the bore.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2011, 11:57:21 AM »

There is so much to do I don't feel like I am getting far but getting everything prepped and stripped is a big part I guess. I am beginning to think that I should not modify the fe too much, these cars are not designed to go fast and are so worthy of being kept the way they are considering their age, whatever I do I think I should keep period. Like even if i put a v8 in it would be a corvette 289 chev or something period from 50's, or if a fast grey would have to be a blown grey or a grey with a period style waggot drivetrain/head. I am thinking a red is as modern as I should go. Really beginning to appreciate the age of these things and the historic value. Pretty lost for direction on the FE at the moment but have plenty of time to do other stuff like the stock FC for now in the meantime. Decisions decisions! I have not lost enthusiasm though.

Deano

Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2011, 12:44:18 PM »

Deano, I'm glad you have not lost your enthusiasm. As the saying goes its a marathon, and eventually you will get there. Taking on 2 cars is a big deal. I barely have time for one.

Little bit by little bit and suddenly you will have saved 2 cars worthy of saving.

The updates are great. Smiley

Regards

Wayne B
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2011, 02:52:48 PM »

Deano
Going well Boy!  I think we all go through those stages of WTF  am I doing Huh
Little by little you cross things off and eventually it all starts coming together.... I hope... Don't know if I'm encouraging you or giving myself a talking too. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
My biggest problem is working out which order to do things so that I don't have to redo something. Right now I really would like the underneath sand blasted.
Keep up the good work.
I think that i'm going to keep both of mine standard but " work " one of them a bit. Lumpy cam, twin carbs, headers and what ever I can get done when I get the engine rebuilt.
Nick

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2011, 05:09:10 PM »

Thanks guys I appreciate your comments. I am now a firm believer that over winter, may be best to shut up shop and hybernate and plan, or say do a motor or something. Now a few fine days and Im getting enthusastic, knowing that paint will actually dry etc.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2011, 06:57:50 PM »

Well it has been a while since I did an update.  Lips sealed  My FE is in a very poor state let me tell you, but I wanted to do up what I have got, so I am sticking to that. The fuel tank is about the only thing so far to come back from the blaster without any holes! The subframe is a very different story, except I am very happy with the end where it attaches to the car body/sill area and the inner guards (I think that what they are called) are also very good. I am making the rotisserie now. I just need to do some more cross bracing on it, but i have jumped on it and i'm a big fella and it didn't break. I think I have seen worse. See the smaller pieces on left and right, Ill do some bracing to there from the outer brackets that bolt to the body and some more the other way. Not sure if I should put one under the brackets to the body? Seem ok the way it is.

I am practicing doing mig welds on this tube with high heat and feed to get good penetration, something i haven't done in the past, I am now convinced that low heat low feed speed sucks ass for penetration and strength and shall seldom do it this way moving forward.

I have decided for the FE to be a bit of a sleeper, with a SBC Chev going in but want the body same colour as original and steely wheels perhaps. Considering that the whole of the underneath of the car is cactus, it will all be replaced. Thanks to Hoon, Jamie and Stinky for their tips, and of course the various Ken's too. Perhaps an IRS rear would also be cool, but does anyone know what has worked out the best if I use Holden? Or is a hot rod kit better? OR cos it will be a SBC, perhaps a live 9 inch. So, I shall keep chugging along and hope life doesn't keep getting in the way of my progress.

Thanks all.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »

Made up the sleeve for the rear end, put an old towbar on the mount rear part of rotisserie. Ordered 4 floor pans, crossmember and numerous other rust repair sections for guards etc, will make up new sills with a local dude. I put weight on front rotisserie and moved car around garage, was surprise the car didnt snap in half without any horizontal bracing cos so much rust! Was sort of hoping it would so I could chop it and shorten the body and make a rod thing out of it  Cheesy. All is good, apart from all the usual aches and pains!

Oh and the subframe has been blasted and is sad, but I ordered the strengthening/bracing for it and am planning the attach on replacing the box sections.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2011, 06:30:54 PM »
+1

Out with the old subframe....................   Shocked

In with the new bits..............    Grin

Strengthened, drilled and spot welded, bracing to go on this week, it's good to see some structural bits happening!

Deano

Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2011, 09:58:06 PM »

Thats some serious stuff there Deano. Looking good.

Regards

Wayne b
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2012, 03:54:04 PM »
+1

Ok this one will be kept pretty original in the body but open to changing everything else. Sorry for changing my mind on the run.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2012, 09:16:23 PM »

There has been progress on the Fe. As well as the pics above we decided to put the waddington strengthening plate in and replaced 2 subframe legs that appeared ok but didn't want to take and shortcuts on structural integrity. My theory is that if we do an extra special job on the subframe and chassis and underbody then it puts the ole girl in s good position for another 50 years. This also has contributed to my decision making about the build and I'm slowly becoming a purist and starting to respect the age and significance of the model I am dealing with. I am even stripping the replacement sections and recoating them with suitable primer so that they last longer. I am motivated by my home state holding the next nationals and can't wait for the pics from the nationals next week.

Deano

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: