FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:18:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: StreetTrim Shop Truck  (Read 60823 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 09:38:22 PM »

Hotwires at the moment, 13" on the front and 14" on the rear with 235 tyres. I have others to try out but will get the car running properly and regoed first.

EKjimmy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 08:31:52 PM »

I hated those hotwires at first, but they sorta grew on me. personally i reckon the stance on that car is spot on even with hotwires. maybe plain chromies 13" front 14" rear.
I couldn't believe the wiring either-bypassed it all to get that little starter switch set up working.

Jimmy (dave mac's son)

She's not leaking, she's marking her territory

Jimmy
vmx-mxr

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 09:54:37 PM »

G'day Glenn

I reckon that switch is for the thermo fan too.

Can't help you on the wiper motor.

Gotta love that wiring, lol! Take a pic of the chopping block fuse board to amuse the masses mate - the guys brain was out to lunch when he did that wiring  Shocked

The starter switch and choke set up is a work of art though  Wink Two pretty savvy blokes set that up eh Jimmy....

I'm sure glad you like the van - buying or selling via emails and phone calls is nail biting stuff as I found out (happily as it turned out) when I took delivery of my EK ute from Qld.

When do you think we'll start seeing the interior take shape, and any idea on what front seats will be used yet?

Cheers

Dave Mac
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 11:14:30 PM »

Gotta love that wiring, lol! Take a pic of the chopping block fuse board to amuse the masses mate - the guys brain was out to lunch when he did that wiring  Shocked
It's long gone and I didn't take a picture of that  Sad I'm probably mounting the new fuse panel there, purely for ease of access, as I tend to do my back when changing a fuse on my Sedan.

The starter switch and choke set up is a work of art though  Wink Two pretty savvy blokes set that up eh Jimmy....
It was a shame to take it out, I'd keep it if I didn't something a little more secure.

When do you think we'll start seeing the interior take shape, and any idea on what front seats will be used yet?
Plans are being formulated, looks like there will be lots of red with black and white thrown in. I am thinking of a "customFC" shifter mod so that I can keep the front bench. I have been looking for a Tarago centre row seat with a fold-down so that I can fit the rear seat.

By the way Dave, do know what was done to the motor? She seems very pokey  Shocked  Grin 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:23:46 PM by stinky » Logged

FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 06:53:25 AM »

Hi Stinky your wiper is single speed.Go the van
regards fat

fatboy
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 07:56:27 AM »

I hated those hotwires at first, but they sorta grew on me. personally i reckon the stance on that car is spot on even with hotwires. maybe plain chromies 13" front 14" rear.
I couldn't believe the wiring either-bypassed it all to get that little starter switch set up working.
Jimmy (dave mac's son)
Thanks for your help with that Jimmy, the Hotwires are staying for the moment, I don't mind them so much. I'll try the matching 14"s on the front this weekend but I'm guessing they will rub the guards  Roll Eyes

Thanks Fatboy, does anyone know how to wire one up?

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 12:23:21 PM »

I would try fused postive to the wiper motor and put a switch on the earth.  You could try switched positive but I don’t know what load rating the switch is.

in the shed
vmx-mxr

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 11:33:33 PM »

G'day Glenn,

I honestly can't remember what the guy said about the engine as I had visions of more work on it. He did say it was a pretty decent engine but beyond that I have no idea. Did you have a fiddle with the carby yet?

He seemed to have gone to some trouble with an electronic dissy 350 and extractors so maybe he did a few things inside the old 179

As far as the wheels go - I seem to remember him saying the wheels rubbed hence the 13's but I would double check.

Better get going

Dave Mac
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 08:16:49 AM »

I honestly can't remember what the guy said about the engine as I had visions of more work on it. He did say it was a pretty decent engine but beyond that I have no idea. Did you have a fiddle with the carby yet?

He seemed to have gone to some trouble with an electronic dissy 350 and extractors so maybe he did a few things inside the old 179

Well at least it has new oil, I had a little play and got it run a little better before I took all the wiring out. The fuel pump leaks, although not enough to cause the mysterious fuel disappearence, the transport company claim they had to put $20 in it  Huh

vmx-mxr

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2010, 10:22:45 PM »

Hi Glenn

Now that fuel thing is weird  Huh

We put $30 in on the afternoon it was being picked up. We checked it would run and then just drove it all of 100m down my cul de sac and then up to where the tilt tray did the rest (and that was with a winch) - very weird !!!

Looking forward to the next instalment !!!

Dave Mac  Smiley

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2010, 10:36:35 PM »

Got my LPG "scuba" tank today a few clever brackets and a space-saver spare and I should be "cooking with gas"  Embarrassed
Also found some Oztion bargain lowering blocks that I'd forgotten about  Grin they're in for sure this weekend (assuming I can find the bolts).

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2010, 08:17:11 PM »

No photographic progress, spent most of the day on the wiring and got most of it done. Still have to sort out the headlights/dimmer switch, reverse lights (need a switch) and a few other loose ends.
FC Seat is stripped and an early Tarago rear bench is donating it's tilt mechanism to the cause, this gives me a modern camper seat that tilts forward to allow access to the rear station wagon seat.
Trial fitted some Jellybean Mags that had 245s on them but alas they scrub, on the inner panel of the tub! with plenty of clearance on the outer side. The Torana diff might be more of a curse than a blessing.

simins
vic-club

Our Toys

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2010, 09:43:18 PM »

Stinky i run 14 x8s with 235 60s and a torana rear end and had the same problem with the inner wheel tub . I masaged it with a hammer and now run a set of 6mm wheel spacers they now only rub very occasionally. you had a look at my car at the vineyard carpark on registration day at the nats gm chassis black FE with magnum rims and tripple dellortos hope this helps  Simon Addison
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2010, 11:20:56 PM »

Thanks Simon, I think wheel spacers may be the go  Wink

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2010, 08:48:16 AM »

Wheel Spacers  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked .......FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 09:41:52 AM »

It's either that or chuck in a HR rear end, then again with the bottle-jack flares I could probalby still get 265s under there.

jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 10:09:56 AM »

Mark; you're right - it's naughty, but sometimes the only viable solution....

Stinky, I'm running an XU-1 diff with 14 x 7 rims and 215-70 tyres; rims have considerable offset out, but still rubbed on the inner guards; plenty of clearance on the outers (even without rolled lips)
3mm spacers prevented MOST of the rubbing; 5mm all of it...

So I will join Simon and you as recipients of a (well-deserved!) lecture from FC427 re the evils of wheel spacers...  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

(seriously though, Mark; aside from spacers being illegal, I would really appreciate and value your opinion on the possible  consequences of using them, and what sort of driving may induce or hasten these problems, and what steps, if any, those of us who choose to use them may take to minimise any problems...  I'm using best quality new studs with plenty of thread available for the nuts after the spacers are fitted; other than taking the spacers off, are there any other precautions I could be taking?)

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 11:26:58 AM »

You might actually be legal Jack, I believe XU1s came from the factory with wheel spacers, happy to be corrected though  Undecided

CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2010, 12:56:08 PM »

XU1's definitely had wheel spacers - in fact the laters ones had multiple on each wheel where my 1970 model only has them on the front.

I'd be putting longer studs on though or at least ensuring that the wheels nuts engaged a similar amount to factory.
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 01:29:49 PM »

We run 25mm and 30mm bolt on spacers on our nissan drift car and add 3 and 5mm additional spacers when needed to suit different tracks and wheel types. These vehicles run under extreme conditions as far as wheel studs go and have never had one fail yet.

regards

Weddo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: