FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 08, 2024, 11:24:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Poo Apart  (Read 46095 times)
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2003, 08:18:56 AM »

Looks even better than it did at the nats. It is amazing what a little polish can do.

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
craiga
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2003, 08:29:17 AM »

Inside shot
craiga
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2003, 08:47:23 AM »

Here's a picture taken at the recent N.S.W All Holden Day.

It's a very good side on picture which is a great base for some photoshopping.

Thanks to Jason Jones from the NSW Club for the photo.
Hewart
nsw-club

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2003, 09:53:29 AM »

Hey Craig...
Sounds like you're invitin' us to have a go at your FC there... Wink Looks great BTW....

Cheers
Les...

craiga
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2003, 11:13:25 AM »

Les,

Looks like you understood the reason for the post. Chop it, lower it, mould it anyway you like.  Grin

Cheers,

Craig.
HARKO
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2003, 01:09:52 PM »

A little rough Craig I know but heres a quick shot for you
normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2003, 02:23:46 PM »

Hi Craig
       The car is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L ...........(no I'm NOT a poof  Grin)    Just love nice lookin cars.

Geez Harko ,   Bet you had this done as Craig was posting ,   MAN  you're "quick"  Shocked
 Cheers
  Norm

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
son of a restorer

Old Holdens dont Die, They just go faster!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2003, 04:24:34 AM »

looks good! espeacally Harko verson! lol. na its a great car.

Old Holdens dont Die, They just go faster!

COL58FE

FE225

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2003, 10:48:25 AM »

;DG'DAY CRAIG,VERY VERY NICE RESTO.I'VE NOTICE THAT SOME PEOPLE CALL YOUR CAR A POO MOBIL,AS MY CAR IS BROWN DARK/LIGHT TWO TONE FE 58 SPEICAL SEDAN,DOE'S IT COME UNDER THAT REF.I DON'T MINED THAT SAYING ACTUALLY ,I'LL WILL SEND SOME PIC'S  ON THE WEEKEND AS IT GET'S DELIVERED ON FRIDAY AND HOPING TO BECOME A MEMBER SOON.WELL ANYWAY NICE FC SPECIAL,MAYBE I'LL GET TO SEE IT IN REAL LIFE AT SHOW SOMETIME.IT INSPIRES ME AND MY RESTO IDEA'S  ;)P.S POO MOBOL'S ARE RARE I HEARD,IS THIS CORRECT,AND HOW RARE SURELY THERE'S A FAIR FEW OUT THERE.TRUE OR NOT.COLIN.MAITLAND. Smiley Huh Wink
craiga
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2003, 08:19:07 PM »

Thanks Norm and Col for your comments.

The Poo name came about officially when this forum first started, but all my mates always referred to it as the Baby Poo Car. I think it's the best word to describe the colour.

The "Poo" colour, Corsair Tan, was actually used from 1956 until about 1960ish. The are two varieties, the 1956 version which is slightly pinker, and the second version, which appeared on the FC in 1959, which is more brown. I had a friend in the 1980's who had an FB that was exactly the same colour combination as mine and this is why I know it continued into the new model. I would say that his car was a very early one, and may have even been painted in Balm Enamel rather than the Duco Acrylic that was introduced in 1960.

There aren't a whole lot of FC's exactly the same as mine around, I've probably seen 2 others in the flesh, and seen pictures of about 3 others - but I'm sure there's some more. I remember chasing one through Bathurst in about 1987 but it disappeared in the back streets. You wouldn't think of buying a new car these days that was Poo coloured, but in the 1950's I'd reckon it wasn't a problem.

A simple rule applies here, if it's brown, YOU'VE GOT YOURSELF A POO MOBILE!

I've attached two colour swatches that show the difference between the two Corsair Tan's.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 08:20:46 PM by craiga » Logged
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2003, 09:50:05 PM »

hi craig  i thought i would see which code applied to the fb..no corsaair tan listed for 1960
i dont have pre 60s colours
the fb in this colour may be unique

btw   nice car
« Last Edit: September 16, 2003, 09:57:26 PM by robbzfc58 » Logged

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
craiga
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2003, 11:12:33 PM »

There is a Flaxen Tan listed which looks sort of similar to Corsair Tan, so maybe this was the colour on the FB? I do have a picture of his FB somewhere so I'll have to dig it out and check my memory.

My paint book indicates some Enamels did carry into 1960 - prefaced by the number 286 - until replaced by the Acrylics, prefaced with 586. Flaxen Tan is indicated as a 586 Acrylic, but Corsair Tan is a 286 Enamel.

Can anyone confirm if FB's were ever painted in Enamel? The paint book I have (GMH Balm Paint Guide 1950-1961) shows 13 colours for 1960 that have the 286 prefix, so maybe they were? And this may explain why some 1959 colours ended up on FB's.

Interesting question that hopefully someone can give us an answer to.

Cheers,

Craig
COL58FE

FE225

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2003, 07:37:36 AM »

::)hi craig,robbzfc58.well all them  numbers are out of my league,but i appriciate the info.i'll check those paint codes to mine asap though,is there anyway of checking how many fe fc were painted in each individual colour and colour scheme.hmmm with the info you fella's know i'm hoping this is available.thanks COL58FE.p.s guess i own a poo then Grin
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2003, 08:20:10 AM »

Colin,

There's only really heuristic evidence to say how many were made in each colour.  I don't believe Holden kept any records of how many were manufactured in each colour, and if they did, they've certainly never come to light.  Basically the collation of a lot of data about vehicles (both road-going and wrecks) has given something of an indication as to relative popularity.

However, even this is suspect.  Ken has documentation from a country Victorian dealership that kept scrupulous records of vehicles sold that shows that the more garish colour combinations sold in higher numbers than the relatively plain ones.  But, 45 years on, we see the grey, green and blue combinations in the cars that are still around.  This has led to the theory that perhaps the colour gives a clue as to the personality of the owner, and the likelihood of the car being kept well, as opposed to being driven into the ground.  Notwithstanding the colour aspect, the fact that so few Standards and commercial vehicles are still around is testament to how hard they were worked and how many of them 'went to Simsy's'.  So all of this is a very off-topic way of saying, no, there's not really any way of saying whether poo was common in its day or not.

Hope that helps,

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
craiga
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2003, 08:21:54 AM »

Robbzfc58,

Like RET says Ken McLean from the Vic Club is the absolute Guru on this sort of stuff. He has a comprehensive record of a large number of cars, but I'm positive even he couldn't tell you how many of each colour/scheme were built.

But knowing Ken, maybe he can............................ Wink

He has a photo album showing nearly every colour variant collected over 20 or more years. For those of you who haven't heard this before Ken is planning on writing a book on FE FC, so maybe some friendly peer pressure would get him going.  Sorry to dump you in it Ken, but I'm your first book buyer  Grin

And by the way, WELCOME TO THE POO CLUB!

Cheers,

Craig.
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2003, 08:33:33 AM »

Hi Craig.
Yes, I can confirm FB's were painted in Enamel. My Standard is a very low numbered car FB215-108M. I cannot recall the paint codes off the top of my head & the car is stored at another shed, so I can't check right now. But, I can absolutely assure you it is not acrylic, but the same gloss black as the Black FC's. BEAUTIFUL!!
Hmmm, now that raises an issue. If Grey isn't a colour, what about Black??  Huh
Rob J
« Last Edit: September 17, 2003, 09:26:33 AM by 4hammers » Logged

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2003, 08:54:02 AM »

Hi Rob
Even if Black is not a colour it looks way way way better than Grey.  Grin Tongue Wink

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2003, 09:01:28 AM »

my car was grey ,then they painted the colour on
                           ;Dcheers trev

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2003, 09:03:11 AM »

Hi All,
FBs were painted in nitro-cellulose lacquer until June 1960. G.M.H. then started painting the FBs in Dulon acrylic lacquer and called its new paint "Magic Mirror Finish"
ACE Cool
normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2003, 11:23:13 AM »

Hi Guyzzz
    Just talking to the Mrs . about the paints. She worked for Dulux paints for 13 yrs full-time and 4 yrs part-time when they were at Cabarita, "IF" they took their records with them when they moved , they may have records of supplies to GMH. Maybe if anyone was down Padstow way , they might be able to contact someone in the "Refinish" division . The fellow she knew left just after British paints took over.
    Just a Thought
    Cheers
     Norm
PS Craig , do you get the prize for the longest thread ? ?  Grin

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: