FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:14:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Re: NOS DEFINITION ?  (Read 4860 times)
craiga
« on: February 07, 2003, 09:02:09 PM »

Slim,

IMHO its got to be fairly obvious: doesn't it?

NEW = not used after manufacture

OLD = generally manufacturers are required to keep a reasonable stock of new replacement parts for a period of 7 years (this may have been reduced to 5 since I last checked) so these NOS parts are those not normally held as standard inventory by the manufacturer and/or suppliers due to their age.

STOCK = parts/panels/trim etc

So if its used, I reckon it can't (and shouldn't) be described as NOS.

It should be remembered though that some "NOS" parts could have lead a less than illustrious career since they were manufactured. The NOS stuff for FE/FC models has been sitting somewhere for 43-47 years so it ain't always going to look that pretty.

Interested to know what others think.........

Cheers,

Craig.
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2003, 09:41:00 PM »

If it's not NEW, it's not NOS.
If it's not OLD, it's not NOS.
If it's not STOCK, it's not a part.
Regards
Alex

59er

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2003, 09:30:15 AM »

Slim, I agree with you mate, it should not have been on a car before otherwise it's second hand old stock !!!..Kev
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2003, 08:25:45 AM »

Craig is pretty much on the money here, I've seen some NOS stuff which is just rubbish (especially diecast) second hand stuff would be better than this.
A combination of rust and general wear & tear will take its toll on any NOS unless it has been stored really well.

However - I think Slim is eluding to the more dodgy art of advertising something as NOS when it really isn't. And the seller knows that it isn't !!!

This is what makes buying on ebay difficult as a lot of trust is put in a small picture and the claims of the seller.

Ken
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2003, 12:59:33 AM »

Don't make me come over there!  I'll bang your heads together.

I don't really want to get involved in this, and I have not seen either the motor or the other item in question.  But...

I can see a clear difference between the description of a part as NOS and the description of a motor as being "new".  No-one is going to mistake a car for sale described as having a "new" motor meaning it has a NOS block and mechanicals in it.  New in this context means v.v. low miles, barely run in etc.  NOS is a very narrowly defined definition that everyone who has spoken up in this thread so far clearly understands.

As I said, I'm making no judgements on engines or parts.  But I think comparing them in this context is a little disingenuous, Ace.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 03:25:58 AM »

Slim,

If you're wondering what happened to your comment in Meeky's FC Panel Van for sale post, I deleted it.

And not because I'm playing board-nanny here, but because someone else reported it to me who didn't think it was fair on Meeky to take your gripe into his classified.

If you two want to argue, take it outside.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2003, 01:01:38 AM »

Ill not bother you, s  any more !

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2003, 07:36:14 AM »

you cant get fairer than money back ,

i have seen NOS gear that i put in my shed years ago look like crap after a few years from me moving things about and damp from leaking shed.
its still genuine NOS but only average condition or worse
« Last Edit: February 13, 2003, 07:37:49 AM by nicko » Logged

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2003, 01:32:15 PM »

Slim.
No-ones asking you to leave. All that was asked was for you to show a little respect and not take your gripe with Ace into the post of someone who has nothing to do with it. It was not fair to use Meeky's serious attempt to sell his van to take cheap shots at Ace.
Now hang around.
Regards
Alex

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: