FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 02:05:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Subframe Removal  (Read 7895 times)
hrpremier

Model: other Holden

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« on: September 08, 2009, 12:05:41 AM »

Hi Forum.

Came home from work tonight and removed the standard drum front end from the project car.  Nice and easy.  Changed wheels over onto HR Disc Brake front end and tried to place the "modern" disc brake assembly  into the engine bay.  After fart arseing around and trying to balance the front end on a trolley jack and jamming my fingers a number of times I went inside to have tea and gather my thoughts for a plan of attack.  After tea went back out full of hope and confidence to get the job done.  Was only going to get the front end in for a week or so until I do some major mods to the floor.

Well another half an hour of swearing and cursing at not having enough hands I decided stuff it.  It can stay off so I decided to remove the Sub frame at the Y forks under the firewall leaving the firewall back to get ready for the task ahead.  Undone the nuts holding the Sub from to the chassis, only after busting my pooper valves trying to crack the nuts,i finally looked like things were turning around for me.  Went to remove the bolts in the picture below where the rachet is placed and no success.  If at   first you dont succeed get a bigger hammer.  Well this just covered me in 50 year old soot, grease, dirt and crap.  No matter how hard I tried to knock them out  it seemed to make no difference.   I have not got a bigger hammer to try at this stage.  I am on my hammer limit. lol.  Its almost like these are welded in.   If anyone has had a similar problem and overcome it please advise.  Have drowned in WD and Anti-Seize to try and help remove but not a chance.

Nut removed from one side of subframe but the bolt where the rachet is refuses to budge.

At the base of the Y Subfram there are a bolt each side.  Both these are giving me difficulty to remove.  If theres a trick pleaseadvise before I looks my knuckles completely.

FC Sedan with standard front end removed ready to take off subframe.

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/
hrpremier

Model: other Holden

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 08:08:18 AM »

At the base of the Y Subfram there are a bolt each side.  Both these are giving me difficulty to remove.  If theres a trick please advise before I looks my knuckles completely.

FC Sedan with standard front end removed ready to take off subframe.

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »

Probably one of the hardest jobs to do IMHO, lots of WD40 or similar on the bolts... Usually the nuts come off ok, but getting the bolts out is difficult. I have only removed 5 of these before and others here may have better ideas, but out of the 5 only once did I get all of the bolts out to be able to be used again, as they rust in the space in the middle, so prevent them from coming back out of the holes. So large hammer it was for me sometimes, other times I cut the heads of the bolts, and a few the whole lot had rusted away so just fell off... They are all different.

But all up you have 2 little screws, and 2 bolts with nuts on them at the top of the subframe, on the outside, plus the one bolt only on the inside of the car, and the same on the other side, plus the 4 bolts on the bottom.

So 14 fixing points all up.

Good luck.

JB

Phone +64 223509263
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 09:40:37 AM »

Hi, what JB said, just a few or more good whacks with a hammer should usually get them, you may need a volunteer to hold a drift against the outer threads while you hit them.

Plus, make sure you remove and mark the 4 spacers / shims that are still attached on the long bolts that held the front crossmember on as they are slightly different front to back.

Same with the 4 small metal spacers that are usually stuck inside the square rubber pods.

Not sure if you need these for a HR front crossmember, but I would mark them anyway
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 12:31:54 PM »

Is it just my eyes or has that outer dogleg been welded to the body.
                     Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 03:16:25 PM »

I was thinking that too.

colt
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 07:41:04 PM »

As has been mentioned,don't bother trying to save the bolts.There is a very slim chance that they will be salvageable.I had enormous trouble getting the subframe off the Black FC and basically no trouble getting the subframe off the donor car,bolts had not a mark on them! Huh If they don't move fairly easily,they are more likely badly rusted.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 11:12:48 AM »

So when all of the bolts are out it moves easily , right? Mine seems to be jammed tight. Any secrets to moving sub frame if jammed tight onto car. I have done the wd40 thing and the wiggle and jiggle up and down and sideways.

Regards

Wayne
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 11:53:30 AM »

So you have removed all of the bolts?? there are a total of 10 bolts and 2 screws that hold on the sub frame... When they are all gone the subframe will tilt forward and then let go.

Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: