FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 09, 2024, 08:55:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE Ambulance  (Read 15405 times)
fe-ambo

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2009, 09:12:40 AM »

Hi people,
I have purchased a FE Ambulance from New Zealand and are looking for some help with the research of its history. It was restored in Ashburton near Christchurch where it was rescued from a paddock.
From earlier posts here I gather the body was modified by Smallbones Brothers in Ashburton in 1958.
It does have a Victorian registration label from 1988 on the quarter vent window but unfortunately due to the condition of the sticker I was unable to read the label clearly. It makes me wonder if it was an Aussie ambulance at some stage.
It should be arriving in Australia by the start of December.... what a great Christmas present. Grin
Any help will be appreciated.
There is more photos of the ambulance plus other vehicles I own at:
http://gallery.oldholden.com/hr-hearse/

Cheers
Paul

If take a ride in a ambulance you gotta a chance,
if you take a ride in a hearse its gotta be worse.

Check out this website for more photos
http://gallery.oldholden.com/hr-hearse
fe-ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 09:40:34 AM »

I worked out how to add a photo to this forum. I probably should have done this before I did my original post  Huh

Cheers
Paul

NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:59:20 AM »

Welcome to the forum Paul - I like your unique choice of cars!  Grin

You may want to catch up with Zulu - he's currently restoring an ambulance - I'm sure he'll be very interested in your latest acquisition. http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,13824.0.html

NosFEratu
CraigA
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 10:05:30 AM »

Nice score Paul. I've seen a picture of this car on the internet before. Its good to see it coming 'home'.

When I was over in Auckland I saw an FE/FC police car as well. It was at some sort of museum just out of the city? Do you know anything about that one?
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 10:08:23 AM »

Just saw your pictures.

Gary is going to love seeing this car. Check out the jump seat. They've even moved the ashtray - very handy so you can have a smoke while you're taking to patient to hospital  Shocked

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 01:31:38 PM »

Hi Paul, great to see another Ambo! and an FE at that.
Thanks for posting the pics also, looks like a great find, I look forward to seeing it at some stage

As Craig A & NosFEratu have mentioned, I am currently restoring an FC Ambo, your pics may assist me with my resto as the lower section of the rear attendants seat is missing on mine, also, it's handy to see the siren bracket / stay, as all I had there were 2 holes in the lower skirt where it had been

Regards, Gary
Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »

Curiosity says how many bananas?

Cool

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
fe-ambo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 07:26:54 PM »

Nice score Paul. I've seen a picture of this car on the internet before. Its good to see it coming 'home'.

When I was over in Auckland I saw an FE/FC police car as well. It was at some sort of museum just out of the city? Do you know anything about that one?
Thanks for the praise Craig. I cant help you out with the FE/FC Police car. Wish I had known about it before I went to check out the ambulance and I would have tried to track it down. Oh well least it gives me an excuse to head back over the ditch.
Cheeers
Paul

fe-ambo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 07:31:31 PM »

Hi Paul, great to see another Ambo! and an FE at that.
Thanks for posting the pics also, looks like a great find, I look forward to seeing it at some stage

As Craig A & NosFEratu have mentioned, I am currently restoring an FC Ambo, your pics may assist me with my resto as the lower section of the rear attendants seat is missing on mine, also, it's handy to see the siren bracket / stay, as all I had there were 2 holes in the lower skirt where it had been

Regards, Gary

Hi Gary,
If you require any detailed photos of mine to assist with your restoration drop me a line.
hr-hearse@oldholden.com
Look forward to a photo shoot with both of the ambo's some time in the future.

Cheers
Paul

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 08:10:13 PM »

Paul, I remember when this car was being restored as I had a 3 door FE van that I was restoring at the same time. I have many articles on FE ambulances from GMH. There appears to have been quite a lot made particularly for rural hospitals rather than metro ones.
I would estimate that more than 50 would have been made but after duty was finished most ended up as tradesman's vehicles and were worn out and scrapped - very few survive. Only yours and Zulus to my knowledge. It would be extremely difficult to trace where the car came from without a paper trail since it literally could have come from dozens of hospitals up the east coast of Australia.

Ken
hrpremier

Model: other Holden

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 11:12:33 PM »

Hi FE Ambo. Welsome to the site.  Damn another site you can now get views in your shed up.  It was only a matter of time.  I think its game over from now on. YOU WIN

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »

Hey Paul.
Nice to see another FE/FC ambo survived.
Looking forward to getting an eye full of this beauty in person.
Congrats on the score.
Regards
Alex

EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 10:56:42 AM »

Hi Paul,

Nice FE ambulance, as all others have said, good to see it survived, Congratulations on your purchase.
I too look forward to seeing it in the flesh someday

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
fe-ambo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 09:55:30 AM »

The ambulance has arrived in Australia and I pick it up later this week  Grin

After reading Zulu's and Cajerridoc's posts on vannettes and sedanette I now wonder if the ambulance might be either of these or a three door station wagon?  Undecided

Cheers
Paul

EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 10:52:23 AM »

Paul,

The vehicle ID tag will give you an indictaion of the true origin of the vehicle. If it is an FE 2104 it was originally a panel van and has been converted, if it was either an FE 219 or 229 then it began life as a wagon.

Looking at the abscence of chrome trim I would suggest that this originally began life as a panel van.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 01:29:16 AM »

Keith is probably correct Paul, a bodyworks establishment more than likley converted it to an Ambulance from a Panelvan

Thats what happened in the case of our Ambulance, an FC 2104 Panelvan was ordered by the Boonah (Queensland) Ambulance Transport Brigade from Faulkner Motors in Ipswich & delivered to Hedges Bodyworks to be converted from new into an Ambo, ours has rear barn doors & a rear door added, only our rear door is on the drivers side

Good luck with yours Paul, it looks like a very unique vehicle, an FE Panelvan is scarce enough, let alone it being an Ambulance!

I like many others here look forward to some more pics once you have it back home
fe-ambo

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 08:23:31 AM »

The ambulance is now home safe and sound tucked up in the shed.   Grin

The body identification tag number FE 7-36603 s
Trim Number is blank
Paint Number is blank but I believe its Glacier White as there was a tin of touch up paint in the glove box.
 Shocked

I am now starting to believe that it may have always been in New Zealand as I found an old number plate AI 6900 under the carpet. On the back someone has written "original black plate FE VAN"
The Victorian registration label that was on it has been mucked about with sections cut out of it. The only thing I can think of is someone from New Zealand thought it would be cool to have a Vic registration label on it as its an Aussie car.
I will post some photos in the members car section over the next few days.

Cheers
Paul

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2009, 04:02:21 PM »

Congrats on getting the ambo home safe and sound.
Looking forward to the pics, and even more so to see it in person some day.
Regards
Alex

Shayne
qld-club

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 04:09:04 PM »

I am now starting to believe that it may have always been in New Zealand as I found an old number plate AI 6900 under the carpet. On the back someone has written "original black plate FE VAN"
The Victorian registration label that was on it has been mucked about with sections cut out of it. The only thing I can think of is someone from New Zealand thought it would be cool to have a Vic registration label on it as its an Aussie car.
Cheers
Paul

Well done on getting the car home Paul.

That AI 6900 plate, if it is black paint on heavy aluminium base would be from at least 1964 or 1965.  Prior to that NZ used steel plates which were colour coded and replaced every 5 years.  The car would have been about 7 or 8 years old when it received these plates.  Not inconceivable that Australian states replaced their ambulances after this amount of time.  What year is the Vic registration label?

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
Shayne
qld-club

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 04:38:28 PM »

... alternatively, the car could have been registered from new in NZ and the AI plate would have been the second or third plate fitted to the vehicle depending on first year of registration.

And thirdly, were ambulances required to be registered in NZ?  If not, maybe it was used from new in NZ as an ambulance and then pensioned off to a private owner at which point your AI plates were fitted. 

Probably only made it MORE confusing, not less.  Huh Grin

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: