FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:43:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tin Reservoirs  (Read 8945 times)
spanner

Model: FE

Mackay QLD

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2009, 05:57:10 PM »

Hi all,
I'm sure someones been down this road before.
I've been trying to restore a couple of tin master cylinder reservoirs. I have been able to remove the rust by soaking them in a solution. I have plans of painting the outside, but the inside had a fair bit of rust in places.
Will it be ok to leave the inside or will I need to get them plated.
If so, what type of plating would be required if any?
Graham
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 08:07:37 PM »

I had the set on my FE done in zinc, that was around 23 years ago & they are still fine, mind you they were probably good to begin with.

I have also had some others done with various results, if you have gone to the trouble of repairing yours I would have them zinced as paint may be affected by the brake fluid, even externally

I think originally they may have been cadmium plated but I think this is not done anymore
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 09:03:21 PM »

A mollasses bath will supposedly get rid of all the rust, whoever does the plating will have the best method for rust removal.
I just had some rusty old checker plate done in ZP, looks like new, I think they acid dipped it to get rid of the rust.

KFH
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 10:54:57 PM »

Cleaning vinegar from supermarkets also do a good job on rust.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 04:41:11 PM »

Zinc plate is best, the original coating was tin by the way - which is where the misconception of tin cans comes from.  The cans are steel and then tin plated.

Ken
spanner

Mackay QLD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 06:11:49 PM »

Thanks all. I'll get them Zinc coated.
The lids didn't come up to good. Rust holes around the edges, so I'm on the lookout for a couple. I have an old oil tin here and the lid from it fits on to the reservoirs but it is a bit different. I has a straight top without the raised lip and it hasn't got a vent hole. I will post in the wanted section for a couple. I may turn something up.
I've had the cylinders sleeved. They look great. I had lots of trouble removing the old pistons. Just couldn't budge them even soaking them and using an ezy out. In the end i just warmed each one up with the oxy around where the piston sat until I could see that the old rubbers were getting hot and gave thump on a piece of timber and presto, out they come. Didn't take much heat at all really.
 Graham
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 06:50:05 AM »

Hi All
I have a couple of reservoirs from an old FB I would like to use on my ute. No holes but a bit of surface rust. Trouble is the lids are stuck on and one is stuck in the cylinder.

Any good ideas to unstick the threads?

I've put wd40 on them, no luck.

TIA
Helen
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 09:24:54 AM »

soaking in diesel has worked for me on a few things

Dave
0417 270 315
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 09:32:36 AM »

soaking in diesel has worked for me on a few things

Thanks, have been trying that -  they've been sitting in diesel for a while now, will have another go at turning it today, fingers crossed
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 09:36:45 AM »

bugga - hope it frees up eventually

Dave
0417 270 315
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 07:15:58 PM »

Made a pair of new tins for my fc couple of years ago ,used new tins and old bottom threads ,had them chromed and still look like new ,pics on here posted by   collecta on my behalf  ,but do not know where .cheers . Cheesy

Sale Victioria
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 05:32:29 PM »
+1

Use heat.

To unscrew a stuck lid from a tin master cylinder reservoir, heat the outside of the lid (gently) with a flame, until it begins to go dark and smoke a little, then wearing thick leather gloves, unscrew the lid.  It's the combination of rust and the rubber seal which makes them seize on.

To unscrew the reservoir itself from the master cylinder, preheat the oven to 160 degrees C.  Put the master cylinder and reservoir in the oven for at least a quarter of an hour.  Then, wearing thick leather gloves, take the cylinder out of the oven and unscrew the reservoir.
Disclaimer: Only by prior agreement with the Power That Be, otherwise you'll be joining the dog outside for the night.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 05:46:49 PM »

Use heat.

To unscrew a stuck lid from a tin master cylinder reservoir, heat the outside of the lid (gently) with a flame, until it begins to go dark and smoke a little, then wearing thick leather gloves, unscrew the lid.  It's the combination of rust and the rubber seal which makes them seize on.

To unscrew the reservoir itself from the master cylinder, preheat the oven to 160 degrees C.  Put the master cylinder and reservoir in the oven for at least a quarter of an hour.  Then, wearing thick leather gloves, take the cylinder out of the oven and unscrew the reservoir.
Disclaimer: Only by prior agreement with the Power That Be, otherwise you'll be joining the dog outside for the night.

Rob

Was wondering about a bit of heat - no harm in trying, can't use them as is - thanks
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 04:15:10 PM »

Page 2 reproduction parts . cheers  Steve Wink

Sale Victioria
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 05:53:19 PM »

Hi Steve
I'm just getting mostly a blank post with "Page 2 reproduction parts . cheers  Steve" down near the bottom.
 Smiley
Helen

Page 2 reproduction parts . cheers  Steve Wink

fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 02:18:40 PM »

Yeah ,don't know what happened there ,delete that if you like,my post was to highlight the repo tins I made and the photos are on page 2 of reproduction parts ,sorry about that .cheers  Steve . Smiley

Sale Victioria
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 08:52:14 PM »

Yeah ,don't know what happened there ,delete that if you like,my post was to highlight the repo tins I made and the photos are on page 2 of reproduction parts ,sorry about that .cheers  Steve . Smiley
nah only sorry I couldn't see what you did - thought it sounded interesting
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 04:58:10 PM »

OK ,bought new 250 ml tins from a tin maker in Melbourne cut the top off and cut to the right height and soldered the top back on ,cut hole in the bottom of the tin and soldered in the thread from old tin .fitted the baffles from old lids to new lids , got them chrome plated ,2years old now and still look new . cheers Steve Wink

Sale Victioria
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 05:40:26 PM »

OK ,bought new 250 ml tins from a tin maker in Melbourne cut the top off and cut to the right height and soldered the top back on ,cut hole in the bottom of the tin and soldered in the thread from old tin .fitted the baffles from old lids to new lids , got them chrome plated ,2years old now and still look new . cheers Steve Wink

Job well done I'ld say!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: