FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 29, 2024, 02:45:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Before grabbing the air wrench...  (Read 3646 times)
Fc1958

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2009, 09:47:09 PM »

is there anything i need to know before I start stripping my sedan? I know all about checking the front end for play before taking that apart but im not sure about interior or panels?

“Old Holdens never die… they just go faster!”
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 09:59:21 PM »

They are a pretty simple car to work on if you have a little patience and a little skill you will do just fine .....It's all about having a go and if you get stuck just ask instead of braking or butchering anything ......Good luck ......FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:15:40 PM »

I reckon its a good plan to WD-40 all the nuts and bolts a day or so before you disassemble.

It'll make the job a hell of a lot easier.

The other thing is to be really organised. Buy a packet of Glad sandwich bags, the ones with the white label strip and bag and mark EVERYTHING. Get some boxes and put the bagged parts together based on location on the car or some other criteria. Then mark the boxes. If the bits are too big then wrap them in newspaper and mark the outside.

When it comes time to put the car back together this will save you countless hours of frustration looking for bits.

Oh, and if its the first one you've pulled apart take plenty of pictures for reference when you get to putting it all back together.

Good luck, another one saved  Grin

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »

Put all nuts and bolts etc in labelled zip lock bags. Depending how bad the car shell is will determine what needs to be done. Basically just remove and store everything in a dry area and get the shell right before worrying about things like engine, suspension or brakes.
A rotisserie is the best investment you will ever make unless you have another method of getting the body up off the ground to work on floor pans & sills etc.

Ken
nige and Jody

Where do I start?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 10:22:23 PM »

yep I agree, it's only now when I am starting to put things together that I am glad I labelled EVERYTHING when I pulled it apart because without my dodgy little diagrams and labels it's just a bunch of nuts and bolts.

I even kept the stuff I stripped or broke pulling the car apart because then I knew what I needed to repalce and had a sample to show someone.

Nige

FC225 (in progress), FB215 (waiting), EJ229A (go'er)
stapla

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 11:18:21 AM »

Make sure you have a holden workshop manual.  They are made by holden and go into a lot of detail of all areas of the car.  I've found cars of this era were made to service.  Bolt off, throw away, bolt on changeover complete parts are a modern trend.  The manual details how to take most stuff completely apart and service it yourself, replacing just the faulty worn individual parts.

FE/FC Manuals are readily available from places like ebay for $25-$50.

pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 03:00:19 PM »

Looks like a good project, you've already got the electric wipers and a heater by the look of it, don't forget the bolts at the back of the guard inside the cab Wink.
                                Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 02:05:14 PM »

Totally agree.  Zip lock bags clearly labeled and plenty of pictures on a digital from different angles.  Pictures are better than relying on memory.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: