FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 08, 2024, 12:03:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Commondores  (Read 16362 times)
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2009, 09:11:49 PM »

It seems time to stir the possum again, since the forum seems to have descended into an exercise into making V6/V8 Commondores with FE/FC  (thankfully mostly FC) bodies. Three out of the five current posts seem devoted to this.

I wonder what forum members make of the current crop of retro cars. Foremost in the reasonably priced category is the new Beetle which has been around since 1998, believe it or not, followed by the Mini in its various iterations, the now unlamented Chrysler PT Cruiser and most recently the Fiat 500. In the higher echelons we have the S type Jaguar (horrible), various DB Astons - beautiful but derivative - and the new Rolls Royce, sort of space without the grace (with apologies to Jaguars famous 1950s/60s slogan).

In the US we now have the new Mustang, Challenger and Camaro - not to mention both Vipers - all of which look fat and fairly ordinary when compared with their progenitors.

In the hot rodding scene in the US in the 30s, 40s it was mostly about go faster equipment for the old 4 cylinders, the ultimate being the DOHC heads from  Rajo, Frontenac (which was Louis Chevrolet ironically) Gallivan, etc., not to metion the plethora of OHV conversions available for Model T and A Fords. In the 50s the emphasis gradually switched to the V8s which lets face it weren't great engines, but they were cheap and plentiful.

The cars themselves were mostly Model T and A and '32 (model 18 and B for the four cylinders) coupes and roadsters because they were light and cheap. In the later 50s they were chopped, channeled, frenched Z'ed and goodness knows what else. lately however the most respected variant is the fenderless highboy.

What I wonder, is to become of all the FE/FCs which have no real relationship to the original cars with completely different chassis and running gear in modern pearl colours. Are they modern cars and to be judged as such? they certainly bear no significant relationship to the originals.

My proposition is that these are simply retro cars, they bear no fundamental relationship to the original, the only characteristic remaining being the styling. It seems to me the soul has been erased and the end result is neither the donor car or the recipient. Given the rapid depletion in the surviving numbers of these cars maybe its time we all started to be a bit more sympathetic to their history before tearing them apart. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with mods whatsoever but if you want an R8 Commodore then buy one, they aren't that common either.

Food for thought eh? Let the brickbats fly Grin

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 09:51:39 PM »

Hooooeeee!!  Shocked I can see this one has the potential of getting out of hand real quick  Grin
[PERSONAL OPINION]
I agree to a certain extent, but I think repowering the cars with almost anything and improving the safety is OK, I am famous for my pet hate "grey interiors"  Undecided two or three tone trims look great in these cars. As to the Commodore parts, please leave the wheels bigger than 15" on the Commodores  Roll Eyes
[/PERSONAL OPINION]

JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 10:29:20 PM »

As one of the offenders for this post... its hard not to read and take it a little personally.

I love the shape of the FE/FC and always have... i have owned a std sedan, std ute, modified van and now building a modified ute.

Yes the donor car is a Commodore... Falcon parts won't fit as good... Tongue

Try telling Fitzy, Scotty, Propig, and all of the others that I haven't mentioned that their cars have no heritage, no soul, or no longer even FE/FC... I am sure that Fitzy's car has won all of those awards as an FC Sedan... Would you class Leons great work as still an FC???

Quote "Don't get me wrong I have no problem with mods whatsoever but if you want an R8 Commodore then buy one, they aren't that common either."

Maybe I am not welcome at the Nationals any longer??

If you don't have a problem with Mods, then why start the topic with FC Commodores which you know will offend right from the start...

The new R8 isn't for me and never has been... People have asked me why the hell you would want to do what i am doing, and the answer i give them is that because I built it myself, there is not another one like it and half the fun of the hobby that I have is the research and the learning involved in what is actually going into the car. I don't know if you built yours or bought it... and I really don't care. You like YOUR car and that is all that matters.

MY car is for me, for me to build, for me to pay for and for me to drive... I don't care that you may not like what i am doing to is at its my sweat and dollars going into it... And sorry stinky I will be having grey interior and 17' rims on the front and 18's on the back, and i will be putting in all of the other things that i have been told previously I cant do, as in ABS, Steering wheel airbag, Seatbelt pre tensioners, Climate control, Cruise control, Power steering, 5 speed manual and a huge smile on my face. But again its my car and thats what I like and thats what I am going to do.

The car to me does have a soul... MY soul... And I am proud of my work, enough said.

John will you be driving your car to Orange or to Perth in 2012... I plan to drive mine unless the rules change regarding My FE Commodore.

I am not happy with the question, but as you can see i have left anger out of this response, and I ask everyone else to keep their responses measured, as I am sure that the rest of the forum members are like me and love all of the FE/FC's that are represented here and are proud to be a part of this forum, but this kind of stirring has no place for me.

Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 10:30:49 PM »

Hey John.
Interested in popular opinion on this topic, as i'm all but done on my project.  Tongue
Yeh, I approached it from a different angle.  Wink

Serously though, i'm all for this type of car and feel it has as much merit as any resto.
With the exception of the wheels, when these cars are sitting beside a stockie, no-one would be any the wiser. You seem to indicate that the fundamental of an FE FC is in the floorpan, suspension and engine bay, perhaps it's the lack luster performance of these components compared to modern cars, that you admire. Personally I feel the largest fundamental quality of these cars is the styling, and that is preserved in this type of car. I admire the work that is going into each of these cars and wish that I could pull off such engineering. Modern performance and 50's styling.....an awesome combination.
If I had listened to the MANY people with opinions on my car, I might have been turned off, but as the sticker emblazened across my rear window says..."SAVED FROM A RESTORER"...enough said.
Regards
Alex
Excuse my lighthearted pic above, but I can't take this sort of post seriously.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 10:39:41 PM by customFC » Logged

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 11:52:15 PM »

Johns.... if you need reminding cars have no soul,or do they feel pain ....You can love a car all you want but it will never love you back .....It does not know if it is modified or Standard ....there are no limitations on what a person is allowed to do to their own car .....Only limitations in some peoples minds.....And as you said no significant relationship [can you actually belive that shit ] wipe you mouth  ............FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 12:22:14 AM »

Anyone that knows me will know I like original & restored to original FE - FC's.
I think their numbers will always far outweigh the modified cars

But I'm impressed by well done, well thought out & executed builds that have the potential to deliver modern car performance, handling and niceties.

I believe that in future these cars will be looked at much the same way as we look at the custom builds from our past now, with some reverence for the builder who had the balls to cut it and turn it into something special, yet retain or improve (if thats possible) on the models good looks

Just my 2 bobs worth

Gary   
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 07:44:18 AM »

I happened to see John's post only a minute or two after he published it last night, and like Stinky, I thought wow, this is gonna get messy...

I can see why Jason was offended, and I tend to think he's probably justified. This restorer vs. modifier debate is just not particularly healthy. There's plenty of clubs out there that have been pulled apart by this schism, and it's a real shame because for many one-model clubs, there aren't enough devotees to really make half the movement work on its own.

I'd like to hope that people would appreciate the significance of a 50 year old original, unrestored, barn-fresh find and treat it appropriately, but ultimately "it's yours, and you can do what you want with it". The "Retro Tech" style (as Street Machine used to - and may still - call it) has a place in the range of ways these cars are preserved.

Frankly, the wrecking of perfectly restorable salvageable/rebuildable cars is a far greater crime in my opinion.

cheers
RET

PS: entries at recent Nats reflect the make-up of the clubs on the eastern seaboard: 50-60% stock, 40-50% modified. The next Nats is introducing a second non-stock class, so the rules are certainly not being changed to exclude them. Jason, I've been watching your thread with awe, and am really hoping you hit your 365 day target.

[Edit: poor use of word restorable - meant cars that could be returned to the road, not necessarily "restored"]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:34:32 AM by RET » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 09:06:25 AM »

It's the essence of HOT RODDING.. and I love it  Grin

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 09:52:06 AM »

Guys,

This post of mine is crap.

It was badly expressed, counterproductive and as RET suggested, useless.

Jason, I apologise for the offence, I wasn't even pissed when I wrote it so no excuse.

Sometimes you wish a hole would open and swallow you, this is one of those.

Again my apologies to everyone I have offended.

John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 10:41:15 AM »

I wasn't even pissed when I wrote it.
^^^^
Mistake one.

Mistake Two
Sticking your head above the trench - you were always going to get shot!!

Each to their own I say, but don't hesitate to cut 'em up fella's. It'll just make the stockies worth more  Grin
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 10:42:34 AM »

My belief is that any way that a person chooses to build their car means another one has been saved from the crusher. Ultimately, how a car is built or "looks" is really just an extension of the builder's personality and beliefs and we're all different and entitled to our own opinion.

As this broken record has said many times - true car enthusiasts (while having preferences for particular makes, models and "looks") can appreciate all cars whether they're original, restored or modified.  

I appreciate your last post Johns - now let's all snuggle in for a nice big group cyber-hug!  Smiley

NosFEratu
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 02:08:04 PM »

Guys,

This post of mine is crap.

It was badly expressed, counterproductive and as RET suggested, useless.

Jason, I apologise for the offence, I wasn't even pissed when I wrote it so no excuse.

Sometimes you wish a hole would open and swallow you, this is one of those.

Again my apologies to everyone I have offended.

John

Don't worry about it John, we should be able to have a good healthy debate on these issues as long as no one goes over the top as has happened in the past, we are all different with our own tastes, if everyone in the club built a bog stock car things would start to get a bit repetetive and boring.
As for myself i can see the beauty in a standard car as well as a custom, I love the shape of the FE/FC the curves and the chrome and would rather drive one than anything else but i don't like the lack of power, the crappy brakes and poor handling of a standard car(my personal opinion), if i get stuck behind a slow driver i want to be able to plant my foot and get around quickly, when i get some pimply faced teen revving his later model car and carrying on at the lights i want to leave him behind with a disbelieving look on his face(yes i'm an old hoon Jack Grin) anyway time to get off my soap box but before i go i'd like to say "FE/FC's rule" whichever way they are built.
                                                 Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 02:13:23 PM »

John,

Its takes a guy with guts to stand up and admit he made a mistake, your apology is accepted.

We all do it from time to time and I look forward to catching up at the Nats...

Regards
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 03:37:15 PM »

"FE/FC's rule" whichever way they are built.
                                                 Pedro

AMEN Brother Grin

Dean.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 04:28:40 PM »

FEs are just that much better though  Kiss

DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 04:54:28 PM »

Oh oh, here we go again  Grin.
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 07:09:17 PM »

WITHOUT TRYING TO OFFEND ANYBODY
it's pretty much how it's always been in most cases
a modifier can appreciate and admire a stock or restored car where as in MOST cases a restorer is one eyed and once a car is modified as far as they are concerned it's wrecked
jasonr70002

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 08:17:47 PM »

The plain and simple fact is that any change from original on the car is a modification and that includes re-trim, paint etc so any car that has been restored with anything but what they had from factory is modified, so as far as originality goes on FE, FC's there would be less than 1% that would make it into that category. At the end of the day we are all enthusiasts and doing what we think is best to suit our individual tastes and needs and we should be helping other members by getting behind them and not making them feel as though they have wasted their time on their cars.

Golden Holdens FE-FC
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 08:45:38 PM »

And maybe in twenty years or so we might think " I wish I had modified it because I can't get the original parts now Huh??

Love em both ways !!

Regards Weddo
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »

Ratbox,

I don't disagree with you. I think it's true that SOME restorers feel that way, but at the same time I've met some modifiers who have zero appreciation for restored cars, and view them as a waste of paint waiting for the grinder and the engine hoist.

It's a continuum. There a fundamentalists and kooks at both ends, but most of us are in the middle, or not that far from it. It's the ones at either end you have to watch. Wink

cheers
RET
Bloke with one foot in each camp: 1 stock FE, 1 modified FE.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: