FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 08:55:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: windscreen & roof lining  (Read 2981 times)
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2009, 10:37:54 PM »

If I'm going to replace both my windscreen and rooflining, but at different  times which should I do first ? or doesn't it matter

Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 10:48:24 PM »

The front windscreen and rear side glass on your wagon  has to come out to replace the hood lining so do it all together in one go .........FC427.........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 11:16:25 PM »

G'day Surferboy, when I removed the headliner in my wagon, I removed the tar board / paper that GMH stuck to the roof (it's usually hanging down in spots anyway) during manufacture.

It's a messy job but good to do while it's out as rust can start up between it and the roof, some of it came of easily & the rest with a scraper or similar.

After it's all off it's a good move to paint the whole inside of the roof with a product that will inhibit rust forming, then, when dry I stuck on dynamat to insulate the roof prior to the headliner going back in

I'd do the windscreen at the same time as the headliner wraps around the top edge of the windscreen opening.

Just what you wanted to hear.........more work & dosh..............Good luck with it
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 04:15:29 PM »

sorry i didnt explain fully

This is for Cathys ''Ugly Duckling " sedan

It has a weird lining in it, kind of like a foam backed felt. It sags in damp weather, then gets tight in hot weather.Now after sitting around a couple of years in the weather it has started to rott away. and (scarey) has RUST stains all over it !
The windscreen is badly damaged and has really bad wiper scratches all over it.

I can get the windscreen replaced for free through O'briens with my Shannons insurance as i did with the wagon. But they keep the car for the day, they do it at their workshop so i imagine i wouldnt be able to take it away 1/2 way through the job
I haven't spoken to any upholsterers yet for prices or opinions (figured the forum was best place to start)

I'm kind of almost thinking about selling the sedan as i dont have the time or money to spend on it ( the wagon comes first) and letting someone else do it up.So I'm just kind of weighing up the options.
Might do the free windscreen then leave the lining for next owner but didnt want to do it this way if it makes it harder for new owner

Cool Cool Cool

I have the feeling its one of those "it didn't look like such a BIG job" scenarios

or i might keep it and do it later ? (much later?)

cruisin's great with a 58
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 02:29:31 PM »

Headlining is best fitted with front and rear screens out.
Did you plan on replacing the rubbers?
Perhaps you could pop the screens out yourself, then have the trimmer fit the headlining.
(Get him to replace windlacing as well.)
Then take the rear screen and new rubbers to obriens for replacement along with new front screen.
With all these costs, just sell it the way it is at a reduced price and let the next guy worry about it!
Regards
Alex

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: