FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 07, 2024, 06:22:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tracking an FC's history  (Read 4950 times)
pharlapfc

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2009, 10:54:49 AM »

Can anyone tell me how you can track the ownership history of an FC back to the orginal sale?

Many thanks

John
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 12:16:46 PM »

John,

I tried to do this with my FC, however I was unsuccessful.

Here were some of the things that I tried to do.

Speak with the person that you bought the car from. They may be able to give advice as to they, in turn bought the car from. This may be traceable back to the original owners if the original owners had the car for a long time or there have not been too many owners of the vehicle.

Is the car still equipped with the original registration number. If so contact the registering authorities in your state and request information as to who the registered owners have been. In the ACT (where I live) if a vehicle has been unregistered for 5 years or more there are no records kept for that  registration number. This may be the same in your state.

Contact Car clubs in your area, the previous owner of the car may have been a member of a car club and they may have information on the vehicle.

Aside from the above mentioned methods, unless you have any paperwork that may give you an insight to previous owners, or where the vehicle came from, or previous registration details, service book history etc then there is not much more you can do.

Try to think of yourself as an auditor and try to find the papertrail that leads back to the original owner.

Best of luck

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »

The other thing that I forgot to mention, is to contact a forum member whose forum name is mcl1959. Ken collects engine, body and chassis numbers relating to FE and FC's and he may have had the details of your car recorded by a previous owner.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 09:47:58 PM »

lie Wink make up yor own colourfull history, how's anybody prove yor lieing Grin
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 09:00:09 AM »

lie Wink make up yor own colourfull history, how's anybody prove yor lieing Grin

OMG - I've been sprung!  Shocked  Wink

NosFEratu
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 09:40:33 AM »

OMG - I've been sprung!  Shocked  Wink

when i had my convertable FB wagon i used to tell people it was a one owner country doctors car 0 rust etc then we cut it up

it used to drive the restorers nuts Grin  Grin
pharlapfc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 05:40:13 PM »

Thanks Keith et al,

I will try to track through the rego with the State authorities and see if they can help.

The rego has been with the car all the way through.

As for the idea of making up stories because no one will know the difference, that is one way to go but not the most interesting one.

ridgey_didge
act-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 05:56:49 PM »

John,

Your chance of success thru state authorities is limited.  NSW have destroyed the older records and won't release much of what they have for privacy reasons.  When I enquired about my car, all they would tell me was the last date it was registered and the suburb name where the last registered owner had lived.  The fact that the last registered owner was my grandfather, that we had the same surname and that he was dead did not amount to good enough reason for privacy to be waived. (I was hoping to go back beyond my grandfather to the original owner, but the records are desroyed for NSW).

What state has the car been registered in?  I think the Vic records were rescued and are privately held - thru a club or other organisation?  Is that right you Vics?

Good luck.

Cheers
David

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 06:32:16 PM »

In Vic only the original registration number can be found if engine number is known. The ownership records have been destroyed.

Ken
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 08:23:18 PM »

In Vic only the original registration number can be found if engine number is known. The ownership records have been destroyed.

Ken
Seems pointless to guys like us...

ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 09:59:38 PM »

if yor in NSW i think they will tell you the last registered owner/owners but you have to pay a fee (of coarse Roll Eyes ) and then it's up to the previous owners if they want to have this info released

also any service stickers you know next service due at stickers sometimes they'll have a worshop name on them, contact the shop they may have info
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: