FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 03:32:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: COPPER AND FUEL  (Read 5976 times)
mickusmickus

Model: FC

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2009, 04:43:01 PM »

Gday all,

Being that the installation of my new motor is coming close I am starting to plan some of the bits and pieces that make her go BOOM!

Anyway the basis of my question revolves around the suitability of using copper for fuel lines.  Plan is to make them a bit of a feature running up over the motor to form the rail for the twin carbs.

I have a funny feeling it has been used in the past for this purpose?  Can anyone shed some light?

MT
Rabbitoh
vic-club

Model: FE

FE - 'King of Cars'

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 04:51:36 PM »

seem to re-call copper is very prone to cracking (fatigue) if subjected to sustained vibration Huh

Fortius Quo Fidelius 1966; Saints' 2nd in 2025?
Bunnies' 22nd in 2025?
mickusmickus

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 04:56:43 PM »

Yes that is correct, it does work harden which leaves it suseptable to cracking etc........however in thick enough guages you can overcome it for this type of use.  I am more concearned about any detrimental effects it could have on the engine.........
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 05:17:08 PM »

Mickusmickus,

Aside from the work hardenening fatigue that was mentioned by Rabbitoh there will be no detrimental effect on the engine by using copper line.

Personally I will be using stainless steel because A, it doesn't work harden like copper, and B it looks prettier. Roll Eyes

Just to further add, copper pipe used to be acceptable as a brake line many years ago, however because cars last longer and do more miles than they used to it is no longer permissable to use copper pipe because of the fatigue issue.

Be careful that the copper fuel line doesn't become brittle and leak fuel. They will normally crack where the pipe is flared at the joints.

Regards

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 05:59:04 PM »

I just bent a a 1/2" stainless steel line for my Hot Rod and my FC also has the same about $70 for 6 metres and it's annealed so it bends up nice and easy and polishes to mirror finish .8 mm or 1mm wall thickness also available in 8mm and 10mm if you don't need 1/2'' I usually get it from PROCHEM in Guildford but  Stainless Bitz in Caloundra QLD has it, my catalogue is a bit old but 5/16'' and 3/8''  $10.60 metre .. Also great for heater hoses with a rubber connector or you can silver solder s/s ends on and use AN fittings and braided s/s hose ..........FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
mickusmickus

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 05:59:15 PM »

Thanks for the input guys!

Yes Stainless looks better on SOME engines hahaha I am trying for more of a RAT style speedshop motor rather than something shiney!  Looking to do something a bit different, break the mould so to speak.

Whole thing will be grey with black bolt on components, wanted to have a trick copper fuel line coming up over the motor but I am starting to have my doubts!

Other idea was to wrap the lines similar to exhaust wrap....something to give it a bit of that old style character, a little rough around the edges but still with that obviouos attention to detail !

My pet project is trying to shirnk the oil bath air cleaners..........would love to have two smaller oil bath air cleaners side by side on the twin carb set-up........somehow my magic shrinking wand dosent seem to be coming to the party?Huh?
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 06:22:38 PM »

how about using normal steel lines then copper plating them?:

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/flashcopper.html

Cottles Bridge, VIC
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 06:32:36 PM »

hi mick, i was faced with a similar problem with fuel lines for my EFI set-up. i was given a couple of rolls of plastic coated lines used for LPG, these had an extra bonus of shielded power cables alongside the fuel line (fuel pump and sender power).
i spoke to tech standards ( act's rego boys) regarding suitability of the copper and was advised that
1/ as long as the lines meet or exceed ads standards and are firmly secured to body/chasis there are no problems
2/ efi requires less pressure than lpg. so the lines are up to pressures.

i quizzed them at great length regarding registering a car with copper and each time they replied with as long as the lines are the ones used for LPG and are marked with the ADS approval i wont have a problem.
i will still be using shorter lengths of rubber efi hoses to attach to components- fuel pump, rails and return lines. but each laine along the body is plastic coated copper.

just something to look into mate.

cheers
dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 06:43:45 PM »

Just a thought you could always sand blast the stainless Huh Huh to give it a grey finish .........FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 02:24:47 AM »

Check out the brass on this little beauty:

http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/lot/?id=A8DFO6FWV8C9ECYZ

Cool

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 03:28:17 PM »

Hi guys,

This is a slight aside, but is it okay to use rubber lines from the fuel pump to the carb? Are there any detrimental effects here?

Mickus - apologies if I'm hijacking your thread.

Cheers,

Ol_Girl_58
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 09:30:35 PM »

Rubber fuel hose. Over time they will deteriorate which will see them start to crack when bent. They need to be replaced at this time. If they are not or they burst the consequences are catastrophic. As it is on the pressure side of the fuel pump,  fuel will spray all over your motor while you are driving, likely causing a fire.

I would rather use steel lines.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
mickusmickus

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 09:24:12 AM »

Paul, thanks for that post mate..............some of those ideas in that engine bay have got the brain ticking once again!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: