FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:48:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Restored v Modified  (Read 21283 times)
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2009, 06:15:45 AM »

In a recent thread on here, I'm sure you know which it is, solely to do with the Summernats ended up with the usual tedious slagging of "restorers", despite the fact that the word stock or restore was not mentioned in any prior post.

Its happened here before, as soon as someone says something stupid they immediately slag off at "restorers',  as if somehow that justifies their position, all "restorers' as we know being of dubious sexuality, bad parents, Green voters, whatever, you choose.

I'm neither a "restorer" or "modifier", I'm a lifelong car enthusiast and I own cars other than Holdens. It happens that my Holdens are "stock", whatever that means and some of my others are modified, one highly. My motoring life started almost simultaneously with Issue One of Custom Rodder and membership of the Early F**d V8 Club of America when I was about 13. I've ridden motorcycles for 30 years and have the scars to prove it. I have done everything from Club Motorsport, navigational rallies to winnning the Eastern Creek Concours outright. My latest acquistion is a 1958 Victa lawnmower! My point here is simply that I don't know most of my fellow forum members out there and they don't know me. Without a starting point of mutual respect we may as well all go and do something else. For the record, I respect anything executed well, knowing the time,effort and expense involved.

There were around 155,000 FEs produced and 195,000 FCs, probably just about enough for everyone to express their individuality with, so can we please drop all the "restorer" vs "modified" crap and get on with the fellowship of motoring enthusiasm.

Thank you, I'll get off the soapbox now Tongue

John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 06:52:56 AM »

Is that a stock or modified soapbox?

Grin

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 06:55:32 AM »

Touche Grin Grin

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 07:31:33 AM »

It's a perception, because the leash is kept fairly tight after many years of seeing arguments blow out the FE/FC Forum seems to have a reputation with some as being strict or anti-fun even and this for some reason plays back to Restorers. I guess it comes back to the strict rules involved with entering a stock class at any show.
Unless I am mistaken "the leash" is kept tight because the arguments always seem to degenerate to a tirade of insults and nothing constructive comes of it.

Everyone has their own opinion on matters and I have yet to see anything written on a forum that has swayed someone to change theirs.

For those that don't know, you are accountable for what you write on the forum and to some extent so are the Mods and Admins, unlike a conversation in your home the forum is open to anyone on the Internet (except for certain sections of our forum) and if someone chooses to, they can take action over what is written here.
In some cases there have been threats of violence and it's just not what the forum is about, so call me a Restorer if you will  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 08:40:15 AM by stinky » Logged

CraigA
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 09:26:48 AM »

My latest acquistion is a 1958 Victa lawnmower

You had me until this bit, now there are three 'camps' on here. The daggy Restorers, the highly respected and admired modifiers, and the lawnmower owners.

What next, Fiat owners?  Grin
Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 09:36:53 AM »

Psssttt... You want a Fiat?

Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 09:44:25 AM »

I don't think this is a Restored Vs Modified thing at all its just it's just one person undermining our forum with a few cheap shots it has happened before and unless the moderators do something about it it will continue .........Would that be a Standard Fiat or a Rat Fiat .......FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 10:19:11 AM »

It's a perception, because the leash is kept fairly tight after many years of seeing arguments blow out the FE/FC Forum seems to have a reputation with some as being strict or anti-fun even and this for some reason plays back to Restorers.

this is where the restorers remark was aimed, when i first signed up here i got a few PM's from people saying i wouldn't last long here due to this, so there is a reputation about this forum out there

you people know nothing about me just cause i have ratty cars now mostly due to the fact i'm lazy but i've had hot rods, shinney/showy cars, fast cars and slow cars and i have nothing against stock/restored cars and appreicate them

funny how this stock/restored V's modified thing started over a comment i DIDN'T make about a modified car (even though i could of) the standard of cars was not just me everybody i know including 2 of the judges were of the same opinion

this is the shorter version as the first didn't work for some reason or other Huh
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 10:23:31 AM »

As I tried to post I was "warned" that another post had occurred - well after looking at it above me I decided not to change my original post below.  

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,13607.0.html

I see a tiny bit of déjà vu here – I’m personally happy for people to express an opinion as long as it’s not derogatory and it doesn’t turn into a slanging match.

On reading it several times, I don’t believe the original comment was made in an effort to detract from the results achieved – I could be wrong but I’m entitled to my opinion.

The comments about the quality of cars reflect what the majority of event attendees on other forums have said.  I can appreciate though that some might interpret it as a sly shot despite the earlier comment “not that it’s not a good car….”.  Again, all open to interpretation which is usually based on past interactions.

As for what eventuated afterwards well…..cyber conversations can be a little emotional and things are “said” that may be regretted later unless you have the ability to reflect and edit (BTW moderators, that function seems to have disappeared again).

Anyway, getting back to the restored vs modified - I’m a car enthusiast and, while I can appreciate all styles of cars and their uses, I have my favourites and will always be biased towards my preferences – just like everyone else!

Mmm, I can see it now, matt black Toppolino with a big block and white walls!  

NosFEratu
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 12:51:25 PM »

Geez, I'm confused, and I think I might need professional help. Embarrassed Embarrassed
 I'm told my FC is "modified" (I think - depends on your definition), but I like to think of it as a mild custom (very mild!).
So far, so good, eh?
But heres the sick bit - I really like stockies; the nostalgia experienced when driving/riding in a stocky is just bloody wonderful in my opinion.
Is there any hope for me? Would 'councelling' help me? Is this condition terminal? Is there no place for me on this forum?
Seeing as I cant have one of each type - FE, FC, stocky, modified, custom, ute, van, sedan, wagon; should I just sell my FC and buy a maroon auto Mazda Metro 121???    Sad Sad Sad

please help me
thank you in anticipation
regards, jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 12:55:26 PM »

You need to get rid of that grey interior Jack, that's your problem  Tongue  Grin

Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 12:56:31 PM »

And no Mazdas Jack - apparently we're all gunna be getting Fiats!!

NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 01:04:31 PM »

Can I have a Bambino that matches the Toppolino too?  Cheesy

NosFEratu
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 01:09:01 PM »

Is it an FE...
Is it an FC...

Is it as far away from the metal recyclers as possible...

Then really who cares whether its modified or not... It has a chance of getting back on the road and to keep our wonderful cars and our hobby alive!!!

Its really that simple.

Phone +64 223509263
jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 01:14:35 PM »

Arrrrggghh!!
I've just about had a gutfull of this "Fiat vs Mazda" shite

Anyone want to buy a classy two-tone grey leather/vinyl interior?
In very good nick; back seat never been used (only ever been sat upon)
(note, Glenn, I said SAT upon, not shat upon - some people HAVE done the latter...)   Grin Grin Grin

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 01:15:55 PM »

Can I have a Bambino that matches the Toppolino too?............. Better get use to sitting in the back seat ...FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 01:32:22 PM »

Oh,come on, you lot; STOP IT!!

This thread is for serious shit-slinging between the 'modified' and 'restored' camps, isn't it???

Yes?

No?

Hmmm; maybe, just maybe, most of us dont give a rodents rectum, just as long as its FE or FC...

NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 01:39:45 PM »

Now you've gone and posted before me and stuffed up my flow!

FC427 - I've had some experience in the back - isn't that right Jack?  Wink And I appreciate some may have done the latter when you're driving Jack (don't let Rita read that), but I've always loved the acceleration kick back ever since I started driving my big block FE series 132.5!  Tongue

I hate to say this - but I'm enjoying this thread!  Cheesy

NosFEratu
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 01:41:37 PM »

Hmmm; maybe, just maybe, most of us dont give a rodents rectum, just as long as its FE or FC...
[/quote]                                                                                                                                           Jack that is very cleaver a Rodents Rectum .............FC427.........

jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 02:26:53 PM »

Oh, fair go, Kathi! My driving is surely not rectum-dilating...   An old fart like me?  Whose last driving offence was an on-the-spot fine for speeding (only a little bit...) in 1982? Whose licence has always been demerit point-free? Whose next vehicle will almost certainly be one of them battery- powered carts?

And another thing; if you couldn't handle the acceleration of the mighty grey in my FC, (I heard you shrieking in the back seat - or was that giggling??  Roll Eyes  as the speedo crept slowly past 35 mph) then I suggest you stay right away from BB equipped vettes.
That, or else remove at least half the plug leads

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: