FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 09:22:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Steering column for rack and pinion  (Read 8393 times)
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2002, 01:42:16 AM »

Hi guys, i have a Hr front end with LH Torana rack and pinion for my V6 conversion but just wondering what steering column to use.
I guess Rod Hadfield would have something off the shelf.
Can anybody shed some light on this?
Cheers.......BRAD......
MERRY XMAS Grin Grin

1959 Black Std sedan
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2002, 02:05:34 AM »

yes, hadfield does have a shortened column off the shelf. i have one in my garage along with all the other rack and pinion stuff i will install one day down the track..... Roll Eyes

i have heard from different members though that they are unhappy wih their steering, as they say it reduces the turning circle.... but i don't know that for sure though, it's just what i hear...

simon
FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2002, 04:09:49 AM »

Brad
    First check your rego requirments in your state to see if you are required to have a collapsible column.
Glenn

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 06:18:32 AM »

are you going for the front or rear mounted rack?

I used a UC column shortened at the top, and lengthened at the bottom to obtain a better steering rod angle.

I experimented with a few columns before I was happy, easy to modify any column really, so long as it measures up ok.

You could weld a collapsible section in your stock column, but a collapsible shaft will also have to be used, otherwise that would negate the point of the exercise.

A collapsible column may or may not be suited to a stocky steering wheel as its probably not recommended to modify the actual shaft itself.

Ed

in the shed
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2002, 09:09:02 AM »

Hi again guys,
                      Ed,i have the front mounted rack on my front end.I have been told that the rear mounted rack is better,but im not sure why.Could you tell me the differance.CHEERS ....BRAD Roll Eyes

1959 Black Std sedan
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2002, 10:29:06 AM »

I would have thought that whether you go front or rear mounted rack would depend on where your sump sits, to gain max. clearance?? Though a front mounted rack should give you a more favourable angle for the uni at the column.
One thing I've found is that a stack of holden steering columns use the same size sliding join for the collapsable shaft so you can mix and match the two halves to suit the bottom spline to the uni/intermediate shaft being used and the top half to suit the rest of the column.

brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2002, 07:32:12 AM »

Thanks SGO

1959 Black Std sedan
FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2002, 02:43:10 PM »

Brad
     In my wagon i have modified a HK monaro collapsable column to fit. I'm also using a front mounted LH rack & pinion, i could have fitted either LH,LX or UC column but i wanted to retain the ignition on the dash thats why i went with the HK MONARO COLUMN.
Glenn

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2002, 11:45:29 PM »

Hi guys,

I have used the steering column out of the Vt as for my application it gives me a colapsable column as well as the ignition and wiring harnesses for blinkers, wipers and cruise control. So it depends on what you actually have planned for the car with regards to the accessories. As Ed said that there is a lot of choice for the columns that can be fitted.
I also have the front mounted rack and have heard at a later date that they are outdated and don't work as good as what we all have been told when we purchased them.
For now I'm going to suck it and see and hopefully in the near furture there will be another better way of doing it.... More research required.

Cheers
Jason.  Grin

Phone +64 223509263
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2002, 09:52:03 PM »

Brad,

the shape of the HR crossmember (curved) is the reason for the problem in turning circle.  there was a discussion about this a long long time ago (perhaps try search function).

I used a LH rack because of sump clearance, as sgo mentioned.  I used torana column because I wanted the keys and switch gear on the column (opposite to FC V8) .

Others use all commodore bits, because its easier to source an entire donor car, and its functional. (like jason and sgo, and others), and in retrospect, my job would have been alot easier with one good donor car.

good luck with the project, I've sought the advice of many here and it always gets me one step closer.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2002, 02:25:05 AM »

Thanks guys,
                   Might go with the monaro column as Glenn
has,i would also like to retain the ignition switch on the dash.
Cheers and Merry xmas.......BRAD Grin

1959 Black Std sedan
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2003, 09:56:58 PM »

Re front or rear mounted racks, here is a comment taken from another site_
A couple of years ago automotive engineer Ted Robinette, the technical writer for Australian Street Rodding magazine, wrote that front mounted racks on HRs are a compromise. He said you can't get the steering geometry perfect.
My next door neighbour fitted a 351 Cleveland to his EH. He used a CRS front rack and I could see what Ted was talking about. The problem was it is not possible to get the Ackerman principle correct so the toe out on turns is out.
Lines drawn from the lower ball joints through the tie rod ends should meet in the centre of the diff in order to get steering on turns correct. Front mounted steering systems have the tie rod end mounted outside the lower ball joint for this reason. On the HQ for example if you draw a line from the tie rod ends through the lower ball joints you will see it goes towards the diff. centre.
On a HR you can't do this. CRS supplies bent steering arms to take the tie rod ends out but you can't bend them out far enough because the wheel gets in the way, hence the compromise.
This does not affect the car in a straight line but it does on corners.
I think the racks CRS uses are also shortened to get the inner ball joints on the rack pivoting on the line extended through the upper and lower inner bushes to prevent bump steer. I think this shortening also has a detrimental effect on the turning circle.
This system is not ideal but it does a reasonable job and is necessary because that is about the only way you can get a V8 into a HR.

ekmad
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2003, 10:15:26 AM »

I read that you put an LH rack on your FC.
I am thinking of doing the same on mine - front mount for V8.  Are you happy with the turning circle and steering effort required?  Does it need power steer?

thanks

ekmad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: