FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:10:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: stuck in reverse(again)  (Read 7910 times)
waynos

Model: FC

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2008, 08:52:48 PM »

i have an m20 4 speed that gets stuck in reverse ,
usually when i gear down from 3rd to second  and then stop like at the lights or in my driveway,
cant comprehend this at all.how could it jump in reverse when ya in second (my shifter is rebuilt?)
my old man reckons that the selector fork is bent.
i had it stored at a rent a space and a removal truck backed into it pushing it forward a foot or so when i went to work on it one day and couldn't work out why the tarp was stuck under the wheels.
when i pulled off the tarp first thing i saw was a squashed passenger door then went to move it it was stuck in reverse
went screaming at the guy that runs the place he says they take no responsibility.he ended up sorta finding camera footage. i got the guy who hit me's phone number but lost it recently,couldn't care less about the guy.i thought i'd fixed it so didn't bother getting money off him,
somehow it has been fine while engineering it etc,
 thank god
 but now it has got stuck again a few times and getting worse.i would work it out myself normally but it's doing my head in driving to nowra from sydney every saturday hoping this or that might fix it.
i've had the box out 4 times already and i think i am seriously over it
PLEASE HELP IF ANYONE HAS ANY REASONS OR IDEAS
THANKYOU

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 08:30:41 AM »

a bloke was telling me something the other day about i think something to do with the reverse light switch being missing in boxes allowing gears to slide forward during downshifting/under braking
sorry this sounds vague but somebody else may be able to elaborate on it
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 01:37:45 PM »

thanks so much ratbox,
it has the terminal for the reverse light switch there,so i guess its there,but that gives me something else to think about.
you may have hit the nail on the head.

FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 01:17:05 PM »

Haven't got much time to answer this as off to work in a minute however have you checked the shift linkage bushes.Had an LJ Torana oz 4 speed years ago with gearjam probs and found the shift linkage buses to be non existant.

Fitted new nylon ones and problem fixed.

If linkage bushes are stuffed the box can sometimes not completely change out of gear via shift gate in shifter and then into the next gear selection.Reverse was one of the gears I had probs with at the time.

may not be your problem but something else to look at in addition to Rats idea.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 08:17:12 AM »

I believe some lube on the linkages also works wonders
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 07:17:43 PM »

thanks to all you guys,
the linkages and everything is tight as .
i have rebuilt everything that moves,or swivels.
the (bad word) i mean thing still gets stuck.i have tried everything, i think.
my mate who loves autos keeps laughing at me.
i will always be a manual man.so i need to fix it to shut him up.
maybe its time to get a three speed,better for drag racing anyways hey.
can anyone help?
PLEASE

weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 03:30:01 PM »

Waynos,

I had exacly the same problem, replaced every thing like you did and still had the same problem, but eventually came up with a solution that fixed it for good.........swapped it out for a toyota 5 speed....no problems now and very happy Grin Grin

regards
Weddo
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 01:16:28 AM »

thanks weddo,
i thought that was the solution.
i just didn't want to believe it because i am a tight arse

FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 02:07:07 PM »

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago with a M20 4 speed.  I also had a reco shifter but in the finish found the gap in the gate shifter allowed the stick to move out enough to select reverse and second at the same time and lock the box.  You need to adjust the gate alignment 100% and possibly biuld up the keeper that stops the stick from clipping the gate beside it on changing gears.

Hope this helps
                                         Frank
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 02:46:31 PM »

fx1975,
appreciate your reply,that is also another thing i have been thinking this week,was gonna adjust reverse on the weekend but didn't go to my parents cause nostalgias was on,i really hope this is the problem,weddos idea is going to be used,
also does anyone know how much a reco 3 speed box is ?

thee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 03:19:05 AM »

make sure detent spring and ball is fitted to reverse lever very easy to  misplace  if this is fitted reverse cant engage without force on linkage
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 08:11:42 PM »

the gap in the gate shifter allowed the stick to move out enough to select reverse and second at the same time and lock the box.
Had the same problem as Frank with an m20 in an EK(186, holley, extractors), finally got the shits enough to do something about it when my missus got it stuck in reverse and second gear half way accross the main st. of town, you can't even push the car to move it when it happens so the car was stuck there till i drove to town and crawled under with a knockometer to remedy the situation, fitted a trimatic and couldn't beleive how much quicker off the line it was, used to love seeing the look on peoples faces when the old girl left them for dead at the lights.
                                                        Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 09:39:02 PM »

Waynos,

I had a similiar problem quite a few years ago with a one tonner. I solved by putting an aftermarket shifter in. I will be putting an M20 into my FC and will be using a Speco twin stick shift. These have a seperate stick for reverse and the forward gear selector needs to be in neutral before it can engage reverse.

With this type of shifter I have never known anyone to have a problem with "snagging" reverse when down shifting.

Just food for thought.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 10:56:45 PM »

I will be putting an M20 into my FC and will be using a Speco twin stick shift. These have a seperate stick for reverse and the forward gear selector needs to be in neutral before it can engage reverse.

With this type of shifter I have never known anyone to have a problem with "snagging" reverse when down shifting.

I put one of these in my LC Torrie many moons ago, it transformed the gearbox and was a great conversation piece to boot!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: