FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:52:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Reccomendations for various upgrades.  (Read 24339 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 09:31:49 AM »

Very interesting thread guys, looking forward to seeing pics of the development of the front end John.

After driving a vehicle with V8 and front mount rack I honestly have no complaints??

Besides the reduced turning circle it drove perfectly.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 09:48:06 AM »

i dont think she would let herself sink to those depths Wink Wink Wink Wink

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes And it had a grille badge too Dean!!  Tongue  And er duh, which car do I still have?  It just means I can speak with authority, and from experience, on my preferences!  Grin

Besides the reduced turning circle it drove perfectly.

Oh yeah, fond memories of attempting a U turn in the V6 FC on one of the very wide roads near the Vic Exhibition Buildings and having Victor Pace in the back yelling out "Thank you Mr H@dfield" when we just managed to make it!  Grin

Kathi  Cool
F4+ =^^=

NosFEratu
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 10:08:09 AM »

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes And it had a grille badge too Dean!! 

now thats not nice.... Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

And er duh, which car do I still have?  It just means I can speak with authority, and from experience, on my preferences!  Grin

and he casts, nice slow retrieval on the line, and yes we have a bite !!!!!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
FCOV6

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 12:04:13 PM »

Yes very interesting ready, i think i now have a plan of attack starting with HQ stubs and a VN diff and tank (thanks Smithy Wink ) rotors will most likely be commo to match the diff and whatever calipers will fit and work correctly.
 Really the only other component i need to get is a steering column to match the rack or just use my already shortened/bushed FC column.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 08:14:16 PM »

John, good mod shortening the shock tower - I have done this by redrilling the mounting holes for the upper control arm 25 mm lower. This is an easier way to do it and only requires some specially made spacers to weld in place because the gap is too small to put the nuts in as they were in the higher position. Also requires longer bolts - we purchased unbrakos for the purpose as we did quite a lot of these. 
This is also a trick which stems from A models when you section in a HR front end since the upper control arm fouls on the mudguard without this mod.
I totally agree about the ride difference - chalk and cheese

Ken
FCOV6

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 08:55:08 PM »

Well first part of the upgrade has been purchased, a VR/Vs tank for the princely sum of $1.04 thanks to ebay  Wink.
FCOV6

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 08:41:16 PM »

Well first part of the upgrade has been purchased, a VR/Vs tank for the princely sum of $1.04 thanks to ebay  Wink.

I picked the tank up on the way home and its almost perfect, just need the straps and the sender/ pump which is ok as i can afford to get new or even find another sender in the correct resistance for the dash gauge.
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 11:07:45 PM »

he he he     
I picked the tank up on the way home and its almost perfect, just need the straps and the sender/ pump which is ok as i can afford to get new or even find another sender in the correct resistance for the dash gauge.

sorry for laughing but thats what i thought too.

FE/FC gauge is 0-30 ohms commodore sender is 40- 240 ohms there are several ways to go about this.

buiy an aftermarket gauge ( speco, etc) still going to have to change sender unit, speco comes with a new sender but you still have to modify tank to accept the sender which ( with speco) requires top access for the float.

get someone to modify the sender unit to suit the fc gauge- howards instruments in melb can do it $90-$120. pm me if you want the number i havent got it handy.

modify a commodore gauge to suit your application- a lot of fiddly work but it can be done Undecided
i went this option, but there is a lot of mucking around.

then you have to work out the best way to securely mount the tank, have a talk to your engineer as changes to the fuel supply will probably require a certificate, best check with local transport gurus.....

it is all possible though, and not as bad as it sounds....

dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
FCOV6

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2008, 08:31:30 AM »

Actually i have had good results with VDO senders, they have a very good range and can usually find something to suit odd OHM's ranges - i got a couple of senders in the right range for my range rover after i was told i couldnt - and their head office is just up the road from me.
FCOV6

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 10:42:21 AM »

Today i'm happy as a pig in shite because........................ i bought a bellhousing that was to suit a chev into an early hilux (with steel case 5spd) but it had undrilled bosses that i was told were for a holden V8 but the shape looked like it would suit something else, so i slid it onto the back of my Buick V6 and 2 holes and the other undrilled bosses line up Very Happy . I had a GM bh that i bolted to my new bh and drilled the other 4 holes and now it all bolts together nicely - had a trial with a spare block i have  Smiley

Damo58

old holdens never die they just go faster  :)

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 10:53:58 PM »

OHH no there is a SIGMA in the shed  Grin Grin Grin

Iam good just ask me Smiley
FCOV6

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2008, 10:30:02 AM »

OHH no there is a SIGMA in the shed  Grin Grin Grin

Dont knock the siggy, i have fond memories of a summer midnight drive in a mates sigma, long stretch of straight rd and wound the needle off the speedo, it stopped at 180 kph so estimate was 200kph  Shocked
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: