FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:49:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sliced & Diced Distributor  (Read 5871 times)
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2008, 01:14:02 PM »

Well...........heading for home in the wagon yesterday arvo, whats that BANG  Huh 2 HUGE backfires  Huh a few POPS  Huh I was in the middle lane of the m4 doing 90mph according to the speedo, but it's out.

Emergency lane change...pardon me please, pull over, have a look in there, dizzy looks a bit odd.. mmm

Looks like it's been sliced in half

Has anyone encountered this before ?

Now which spare dizzy to use Gary
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 01:56:50 PM »

Shocked Shocked OUCH Shocked Shocked Shocked

you dont do things by halves.

good to see you made it safely through the traffic though.

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 02:23:23 PM »

Gary WTF I have seen many  strange failures even seen all the pistons in a red six all with holes in the top but that is an unusual one HOW DID YOU MANAGE THAT  Huh Huh Huh Huh .......FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 03:05:30 PM »

Gary,

Wow, looks like you had a rotary lawnmower in there.

Could you have done this better with a lathe?
Did some of the counterweights, springs etc come adrift, and spinning at high speed, neatly cut off the top.

Very tricky.

Geoff_K
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 03:26:12 PM »

Hi Gary,

I have seen this happen before, it happens when either the springs in the distributor break or lose sufficient tension that the advance weights hit the side if the distributor body and continue to rub on the side of the housing until such time as they cut through the distributor, like yours has done. I have only seen it happen once to a Bosch distributor (red motor in a taxi) but have seen it happen quite a few times to Ducillier distributors on Renaults.

Is there any sign of corrosion in the distributor. In all cases that I have seen the has been signs of corrosion inside the distributor, prompting me to think that at some stage water has gotten into the distributor and started to rust the advance springs, which weakened by rust pitting, have broken.

The other thing is if the springs were the original ones they could have broken or lost their tension and came off from fatigue or crystallisation.

I hope that this helps, but what would help more is another distributor.

Keith
F4+
 Wink

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 07:43:47 PM »

Yeah, thats what happened by the looks of things. One of the weights has un hitched itself and lodged under the plate where it lives.

One end was poking out & it appears this has somehow fairly neatly machined it's way through the housing.

There was quiet a bit of graphite powder like metal residue inside the dizzy, although no signs of corrosion.

I have a few spare units so I had better break out the good book and re build one of them, something I neglected to do the 1st time round.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks, Gary
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 07:46:56 PM »

Saw the exact same thing happen only a few months ago.

Phil Clancy's father's car did it on the way to the FB/EK Holden Nationals in Yamba in June long weekend.

Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes Shocked Shocked Shocked

The cut was a fairly neat one and caused by the centrifugal weights springs breaking and the weights then slicing/wearing through the housing untill one housing became two Shocked Shocked Shocked

He said there was only a slight cough and fart from the motor here and there for a few miles and then it just gave up and died.

He's kept it for one of those talking point items or maybe for a perpetual "Hard Luck" trophy for upcoming Nationals.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
MalFE
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 10:05:39 PM »

Hi Gary

Remember when I timed the engine recently, I mentioned to you the timing wasn't advancing when the engine was revved. Now we Know why. At the time we had more immediate problems and didn't pursue the advance issue.

Cheers

Mal
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 06:44:07 PM »

All sorted, Smiley went through my spares & found a dizzy with very little wear on the gear & tounge.

Pulled it all down, checked out the weights, springs, cleaned, painted & reassembled.

I just finished putting back in & taking it for a run, what a difference! no more farting (the car that is) Roll Eyes

All this time I thought it must have been a fuel problem because of the twin Stromies.

I do recall that Mal, I should have changed it sooner.

Cheers, Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: