FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:56:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: grey motor headers  (Read 7985 times)
mc54

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2008, 02:56:16 PM »

Hey all,

In the boot of the FC I bought a few months back is a set of 2 piece Perry headers for a grey motor (as well as a few other things)

Since this car was parked in the 1980's I guess that these are from around that time.

I haven't decided whether to use them or not. My question is............ would bolting on this exhaust manifold and
perhaps a dual carb setup increase performance noticeably on a grey motor with stock internals?

Thanks
Mike
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 03:19:58 PM »

1)  Yes, they will make a difference.  I had a set on my FC Van, the only other mod was that I cut the sides off the stock air filter assembly, so that became an open element filter that used the stock A24 filter.  I suppose the 2" exhaust system should be counted. Wink  My van would do 35+ mpg on open road running (stock drivetrain) and was felt more powerful through the gears.

2) If you change your mind on those Perry Extractors, tell me please.

Spinner

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 03:24:56 PM »

I agree with Spinner, with twin carbs and Headers you will likely get better fuel economy than with a standard setup, and will have more power. i don't think that you will have any problem getting thirty MPG once the carbs have been setup right on the highway, Around town it will be a different story, depending how hard you push it through the gears

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 05:27:58 PM »

Good score, not very often you find a brand new set of extractors in the boot, and yes it will make a big difference to performance Cool

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 06:06:28 PM »

Thanks for the Info

It was kinda fun cleaning out the boot. Got 2 sets (4 ) of Wylie Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers still in the boxes as well.

Once the car is registered and I drive it for a while, I'll make the decision whether to keep or sell them.
My neighbour already has asked about the headers but I'm not sure he is that serious about it.

Spinner - will definitely keep you in mind.

Mike
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 08:48:58 AM »

Mike ,they are extractors, headers are made of cast iron, similar to original but two peice Smiley

F4+
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 07:11:57 AM »

Thanks Pedro

While I have some mechanical knowledge, my experience with performance parts and terminology is virtually nil.

Regards
Mike
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 08:52:41 AM »

No worries Mike, that's what were all here for, to help each other out and give support and encouragement where needed Cool

F4+
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 12:59:21 PM »

In theory, does this mean that if set up correctly, a triple carb set up/extractors will return better fuel economy (and performance, naturally) than a standard single carb/manifold? Or is there a fine line somewhere?

Cheers,

Ol_Girl_58
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 01:01:11 PM »

And also forgot to add,

Does this also mean that a correctly set up triple carb motor will also be more efficient than a twin carb motor?
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 01:17:12 PM »

Ol Girl 58,

The basics are; if you can get in more air to burn the fuel then you are going to burn a higher percentage of the fuel and therefore increase power and economy. the trade off is that while you have increased the capacity to let air in, you have also increased the capacity to use more fuel, to develop more power.

It is this reason that on the highway driving at a steady rate you will get better fuel economy than a standard car. The trade off is around town if you tend to hold it through the gears a bit more you will be able to watch the fuel disappear pretty quickly

One of the club members, Colt, said that he got better fuel economy out of his triple carb setup on the run across to Mt Gambier in the recent nationals than some members did in their standard engines.

It basically comes down to how and where you drive. If the majority of your driving is on a highway then the triples maybe for you. If you really want to put triples on then you really need to change the cam, headwork, compression etc as well and this will increase the fuel usage. If you are just trying to gain a little more power and better fuel economy then I would suggest the twins without any other mods apart from a set of headers or extractors.

It all comes back to what you want and how you drive.

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 01:25:45 PM »

Better performance yes, better fuel economy no. as Effcee said on the open rd it doesn't make a huge difference but around town every time you hit the gas pedal you have main jets and three accelerator pumps squirting fuel into the engine, if you're being a leadfoot you can just about see the fuel guage going down Cheesy

F4+
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 01:27:11 PM »

That should have said three main jets Roll Eyes

F4+
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 01:41:34 PM »

Thanks fella.

I get it now  Grin
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 01:48:13 PM »

So is there really a benefit of having a multiple carb set-up if your car is a daily driver? As far as I can see it, there aren't many positive aspects to having triples on a driver, apart from it looking tops?

Pedro and EffCee, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

By the way, the previous post should have said "thanks fellas"

Grin

Cheers,

Ol_Girl_58
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 02:53:40 PM »

Three carbs also equals more things that can go wrong, the extractors make a huge difference to the way the car feels and sounds, that was the very first thing i did on my car, brand new extractors and a two inch system,felt like a different car even with the standard carbie, with the driving you do a set of twins or a twin throat like a holley or similar would be fine. Cool

F4+
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 05:31:03 PM »

As Pedro said, three carbies triples your chances of trouble. We had a club run out of town last year, I used about 3/4 of a tank to go about 80 km's. Power valve problems.
For a daily driver I would go twins with extractors & a mild cam. Sounds good with lots of go.
Colin.

colt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: