FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 06:22:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What happens at the Nats??  (Read 13693 times)
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2008, 05:21:15 PM »

As I am a relative newby and have never been to the Nats before, what does the Nats involve. From what I am able to see there is the show and shine, great times to be had by all and plenty of cruising.

That in itself would make the Nats really great, but is there anything else like a go whoa or other driving events?

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 06:19:30 PM »

You have lots of fun, catch up with mates and talk cars!

I reckon there should be a "rocker cover" race or "rocket car" event.

Last Nats involved plenty of cruising.  I think just getting there is alot of the fun. I'm not sure about risking a breakdown in a hard driving event, particularly as alot of cars travel large distances to attend (such as surferboy).

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 07:39:22 PM »

Ed thats what we shall do at the next Nat's  The Grey Vs The Red and may the best Rocker Cover win Hell I even supply the Trophy for the fastest rocker cover in the land Grin Grin to keep it fair we shall have a set of guidelines as to weight, wheel diameter, max spoiler size ,NO ALLOY JOBS etc [NO YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO PAINT A GREY ONE RED] to make it go faster. This is Heads UP Racing. We all have plenty of time to build a cover to contest this Prestigious Event at the 2010 Nat's. Gentelmen Start your Rocker Covers  .......FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 08:22:13 PM »

sounds like a plan, count me in Wink

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
mcl1959
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 08:27:13 PM »

We had rocker cover races at the 5th and 6th nats in fact. They were a big hit with lots of people building weird creations.  There must be some photos around somewhere. If I remeber correctly there was a class for stock covers and modified covers as well.

Ken
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 08:44:08 PM »

So Mark, I'll put your name down as a NSW Club volunteer, then, eh?

Ken's right, we did have rocker cover racing at both Bendigo and Sutton (Canberra). I can't speak for the former, but I do recall the logistics of obtaining, transporting and storing a rocker cover racing track for the event were a PITA.

There weren't explicit rules at Bendigo, and someone produced a rocker cover with 4 full size 13" wheels, hubcaps and tyres attached to it. It could only fit on the track by using both lanes, and could have knocked a kiddie's head off. Embarrassed

So at Canberra there were weight and size rules, and the same bloke turned up with a set of fish-scales to ensure that all the entrants were legit. I recall a few choice words were said by a local ACT member as to where he could put his fish-scales! Shocked

Anyhow, back on topic.

Plans for Orange are not so far advanced that we can promise to do rocker cover racing, but there's plenty of time to decide.

I'm hoping to be able to post a copy of the presentation I did at Mt Gambier on what is planned for the 13th Nationals for the benefit of those who didn't attend. If I can get that sorted out you'll be the first to know.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 08:45:21 PM »

Silly question for a novice... Whats a rocker cover race??

Phone +64 223509263
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 08:52:23 PM »

1. Imagine the bastard child of a tappet cover and a skateboard.
2. Construct one.
3. Put two of them on a downhill track and see which one gets to the bottom first.
4. Repeat as necessary until fastest one determined.

Grin

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 09:03:12 PM »

Thanks mate... I'm in!!

Phone +64 223509263
mcl1959
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 09:43:27 PM »

Jason, I can't believe you've never seen rocker cover racing  Shocked- it was huge about 10 years ago at every sort of car event you could think of. I saw it at summernats and also at Hanging rock, which was basically a stockies only event at the time.  I've got to find some pics now. Tongue

Ken
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 10:01:42 PM »

Sounds cool, what are the rules (If any)

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 10:21:24 PM »

Found these pics on the net from a show in Inverell.

Regards
Alex

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 10:59:07 PM »

Sounds cool, what are the rules (If any) We will set up guidelines in the coming months as to suitable entries and categories  [Standard and Modifyed ][ Red Vs Grey]  ........FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 07:53:14 AM »

they had them at the recent Van Nationals too.

how about rocket cars?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKvEoTXfi-g

in the shed
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 08:21:42 AM »

What about fastest wheel change using a stock jack and tools? Everyone can work on the same wheel on the same car to keep it fair - fastest wins. 3 categories: Men , women and the kids could have a go too.

What about a push car race? Fastest team of say, 4, to push a car 50 or 100 metres. Can be done on the same field as the show and shine.

Then there would be the hubcap toss...

Tow rope tug-o-war with FE V FC owners....

And many more  - think of mini olympics based on the cars and vans and utes and wagons etc. Would only be for an hour or 2 but you could have some laughs, especially if done later in the evening after the barbie and a few beers!!

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 11:41:32 AM »

We haven't done wheel change, but the old "spark-plug changing relay" was a standard at the Nats for many years. We've had hubcap toss before, too, as well as starter-motor shotput, and guard-spear javelin Cheesy

At Bendigo we had drag-racing, where a couple of cars had tow ropes on the front and teams from each state hauled them a certain distance. Everything was fine until someone fell down and nearly got run over Undecided

So at Sutton we did exactly what you suggested and pushed a couple of cars over a set distance.

Then at Penrith we held "slow drags", where stock cars had to drive in a straight line as slow as possible without touching the brake or clutch.

Tug of War between the states has, of course, been a perennial standard since the first Nationals.

EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 02:44:30 PM »

Sounds like much fun is had by all. I had assumed that it was just a show and shine event. I showed my normally disinterested wife who actually seemed to be a little interested in this to the point where she is actually asking more questions about the next nationals. Wink

If I get her interested enough she might actually loosen the purse strings Cheesy Cheesy

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Rabbitoh
vic-club

FE - 'King of Cars'

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 03:05:01 PM »

get her involved with your state club's administration/social side, worked for me Grin

Fortius Quo Fidelius 1966; Saints' 2nd in 2025?
Bunnies' 22nd in 2025?
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 03:09:11 PM »

Sounds like even more reason for me to become a member, Must get a family memebership

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 04:13:05 PM »

I've emailed you a membership form - see you at our next meeting on May 8 at the Weston Club!!!!!!

Cheers
David

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: