FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:40:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Door Trim Plastic Caps  (Read 4051 times)
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2007, 05:16:05 PM »

Hi Everyone - this is a fairly simple question but here goes. I have just re-attached my rear door trims after cleaning and checking for rust. In the workshop manual it states that only seven of the holes need to have the plastic caps which the trim clips go into. I have fitted them into all the holes (because like a lot of people I read the instructions after I've done the job Tongue) I can't see why it would matter to have the caps in all the holes but it's better to be safe than sorry, as these are the original door trims. Was there any special reason for only fitting caps to some of the holes???

Cheers....Ken
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 07:30:04 PM »

I think the "caps" were only fitted to the lower holes as these were more prone to dripping water from any leaks. The caps are only there to stop moisture reaching the door trims and clips.

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 07:47:39 PM »

I fitted them to all the trim clips as well to stop them rusting , Just a nother way GMH saved a Penny by only fitting to the lower clips I guess FC427

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 01:53:38 PM »

Thanks. I didn't think there would be any problem with fitting them in all the holes - not to mention the fact that I wasn't looking forward to having to pull everything off again.

Cheers....Ken
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 08:21:48 AM »

Sorry to hijack your post Ken.

I have just replaced the door cards on my early blue FE and noticed that the rear inner door frames are stamped with holes for rear armrests, same spacing as the front. Has anyone ever seen one with them on?

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 08:44:17 AM »

yep.. my car, but not factory.

in the shed
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 10:39:24 AM »

I have noticed this also & contemplated fitting rear armrests in the FC Wagon as it is slightly modified, however, the holes are not present in the FC rear doors, probably as they had armrests that attach to the actual door trim card.

Must have another look at your car Ed, everytime I see it there is something I missed, do they interfere with the fold down seat?

Gary (sorry Ken)
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 01:10:50 PM »

Hi Gary,

They don't interfere with the action of the seat at all... Luckily as I didnt even measure that when i was fitting them.

I also used trim clips on each board retaining clip.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 12:05:32 PM »

i had cut down front ones in the back of the FC wagon, its interesting that the rear doors had armrest holes, maybe the premier was thought to come earlier than EJ.
 I too had heeps of room for the seat to fold down.
 one thing i did notice when i fitted power windows but is there was no holes for power window motors.
 alot of the other GM cars did have power window options but we didnt get them on holdens till 68, my switches are identical to 59 chev and now i think of it the could be the same as HK.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: