FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 07:47:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: I'm LOST already  (Read 17390 times)
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2007, 10:39:01 PM »

Went to travelmate website to start planning our trip to Mt Gambier
but it's not there anymore...(the travelmate site, not Mt Gambier    silly Roll Eyes)

Any suggestions of an alternative site where i just type in start and finish points (and places inbetween) and i get a map and directions and distances etc.

It looks like most of the West Aussie gang are frieghting cars across and driving home (its cheaper and safer) and those driving are going at different times
Because were not taking the caravan (unless a miracle happens) we have some spare time to cruise around South Oz.
If anybody has any recomendations of places to visit and nice accomodation to stay at please let me know (otherwise I will have to rely on internet websites which aren't always 100% honest)
And if we can we might be able to catch up with some of the guys from the East to cruise into Mt Gambier with

All suggestions welcome

Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 11:05:08 PM »

http://www.whereis.com.au will get you your map.

As to places to visit in SA, well it's all good so you can stop anywhere Smiley

Clare and the Barossa for wineries.
Victor Harbour is a popular spot, Granite Island is a good walk with penguin tours.
Glenelg is still a nice spot in Adelaide, it used to be a nice tram ride from the city but they updated the trams and added high rises to the foreshore.
Mt Lofty in the hills has nice views of Adelaide and there are various country towns worth visiting.
Birdwood has the National Motor Museum and nearby Gumeracha has the toy factory and big rocking horse.
If you take the coast road from Adelaide to Mt G (or vice versa) there are some nice towns along there including Kingston SE which has the "Big Lobster" http://walkabout.com.au/locations/SAKingstonS.E..shtml

That should get you started.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 11:14:14 PM by stinky » Logged

surferboy
wa-club
Guru

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 11:55:49 PM »

dragged out the trusty old road atlas

PLAN A  Perth. Hyden (surfing at wave rock). Norseman..............Port Augusta.Broken Hill.Mildura.Bendigo (again...Cathy wants to go shopping for pottery, we didn't have time on the way to Jindabyne)..Mt Gambier
We cover four states in one trip

PARTY PARTY PARTY

Then home ... Mt Gambier. Adelaide. Gumeracha ( Cathy wants to go toy shopping). NOT Birdwood ( I'm not that brave or silly...three weeks in the car and four days of FEs & FCs ! Cathy has her limits  Grin ). Barossa. Port Augusta........HOME

Will have to figure out mileage for stops along the way

Here we go Here we go Here we go

Cool Cool Cool 

Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 11:43:15 PM »

Hey Surferboy, you missed one important stop - Cactus Beach (travelling east, turn right at Penong). Magnicent beach and great surf that breaks the other way - don't ask me   Huh - I know stuff all about surfing, but they reckon this  is one of the surf beaches in Oz.

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
Paul_Roberts
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 11:45:42 AM »

Hello

Some other sites which provide maps, distances and times.

SA
RAA
http://www.raa.net/travel_home.asp?BUID=2

Qld
RACQ
http://www.racq.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/racq_cms_production/hs.xsl/travel_trip_planner_ENA_HTML.htm

Vic
Tourism Victoria
http://www.nowwhereroute.com/tourismvic/RoutePlanner/default.aspx

The Royal Automotive Club (RAC) of WA
http://rac.com.au/go/travel/plan-my-trip/journey-planner

whereis.com
http://www.whereis.com/

Paul Roberts

surferboy
wa-club
Guru

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 07:11:18 PM »

O.K
Here's the GRAND PLAN

7 March..... Perth............Hyden            360km
8 March......Hyden...........Norseman       582km
9 March......Norseman......Eucla              650km
10 March....Eucla.............Ceduna          495k
11 March....Ceduna..........Port Augusta   470km
12 March....Port Augusta...Broken hill       420km  (stay 12th &13th)
14 March....Broken Hill.......Mildura           300km
15 March....Mildura...........Bendigo          405km  (stay 15th,16th,17th)
18 March....Bendigo..........Torquay          230km
19 March....Torquay.........Mt Gambier      440km

TOTAL   13days,  4 States,  4,350+Km

Cathy and I would appreciate comments from anyone on whether this plan could be modified to improve it. As we don't know the areas we will be travelling through.We dont want to race through and miss anything interesting but we dont want to drag our heels and waste time in boring places

Thanks guys
 Cool Cool Cool

Sheriff
qld-club

Model: FE

FEs rule!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 07:47:41 PM »

G'day, Surferboy.   We did the drive you are taking on in 2004. Not in our FE but our Pathfinder & Caravan.  It looks like the route via the Great Eastern Hwy., Northam, Merredin, Coolgardie to Norseman is about 720ks, a bit shorter (200 odd ks.) than via Hyden, Esperence etc.  Didn't go to Hyden, friends said the wave rock was nothing to skite about.  Coolgardie is worth seeing for its old buildings, though it seems you won't have time for much sightseeing.  The lookouts on the Bight are worth a look though! Otherwise cannot comment much other than to wish you a safe, trouble-free journey.  We came across the Plain in Feb, and it was bloody hot, about 50deg. so a truckie told me.  Next day a cool change followed a storm and dropped the temp dramatically.   Hard to pick it.  Take plenty of cash for fuel across the Nullarbor as it will not be cheap.  Enjoy the cruise....Mike.
v8 wagon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 10:40:34 PM »

GOOD LUCK, the road from hyden to norseman is  gravel, and there is no one out there at all.

We did it via 4 wd about 4 years ago and , we were only about 60
klms out of hyden before a blow out caused a camper trailer rollover ( on another vehicle we were with).

We pushed it into the scrub and left it....you dont want to break down........

Not seeming to be negative, but theres nothing out there but scrub...

steve 
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 11:15:42 PM »

You might want to consider taking the Great Ocean Rd from Torquay via Port Campbell. Some beautiful coastline around that area, inc the 12 Apostles.
I'd suggest trying to find an extra day around there to take in the sites.
Regards
Alex

fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 12:58:34 AM »

Hey Surferboy,

I think I am with Steve in that the Hyden - Norseman Rd is a bit too much of a challenge....

If you are looking to go a different way (than last time), why don't you come down past Bridgetown and we can go together via Manjimup, Albany, Ravensthorpe, Esperance to Norsemen....lots to see on the way....wineries, national parks, other stuff!!

We'll be towing our new van, so will be sitting on about 80 - 90 kph...I'm assuming you are not taking a van this time?

I was thinking of Ravensthorpe on our first day out from Bridgetown (we have a member there!), Norseman or Balladonia the second....then pretty much as you suggest till we get to Pt Augusta.....at which time we would head south to Adelaide/Mt Gambier to meet the VVanners from the 14th onwards....then the Nats from Thursday 20th onwards......

it puts you a day behind your schedule above....is that an issue?  ...because in your plan you are getting to Mt Gambier on 19th, a day ahead of most others....

whaddyathink???

anyone else from WA??

a convoy???  ....we often talk about how great it would be!!!!

cheers.....Brad
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 11:03:50 AM »

hey surferboy, if you do Torquay - Mt Gambier via Great Ocean Road, allow approx 4.5 hours DRIVE time Torquay to Port Fairy, there is so much to see along this stretch you should allow whole day with early start. Port Fairy to Mt G is a cruisy 2 hr drive plus stops. If you opt to go this way, and feel like a stop for "refreshments" (or an overnite stop) at Pt Fairy, let me know by personal message for contact details. We're happy to provide a bit of hospitality to FE/FC drivin sandgropers, n will be leaving for the Nats Fri arvo.
cheers jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 04:17:28 PM »

Graham
I have a Great Ocean road book some where here on a shelf so will bring it to the next meeting for you and cath to borrow. Sonja and I did the great Ocean road a few years back and had a great time, flew over the 12 Appostles, horse riding through the hills and on the beach and the list just goes on.

When planning you trip be sure to visit Moama / Echua on your way accross. After finishing the great ocean road Sonja and I made our way to the mighty murray river and followed it back to Adelaide.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
Sheriff
qld-club

FEs rule!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 05:18:49 PM »

There's also a pretty good little Holden museum at Echuca Grin Roll Eyes.  Mike
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 12:44:23 AM »

A day trip to Echuca, while we're in Bendigo has been added
and a night in Port Fairy (Wed 19th) to enjoy the ocean cruise more and to catch up with Jack

Steve ...We're not doing any gravel tracks on this trip ( I HOPE ) going from Hyden to Norseman via Esperance  ( another new line on my map  Grin ) Did you see on the news that the states first road death was on that track..trapped in a rollover for more than 2 hours !

Brad we will be going from Esperance to Norseman sometime ( PM ) on the Sat 8th when were you going through ?

Mike , were bringin the longboard this time so weve got to go through Hyden for the photo opportunity.Been through Kalgoorlie so thats not new.
And trying to do LOTS of overtime.

Cool Cool Cool

Sheriff
qld-club

FEs rule!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 06:20:51 PM »

A fair enough reason to go to Wave Rock.   I suppose you'd also be heading to Bell's Beach from Torquay as well Grin Cool  Mike
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2008, 07:28:45 PM »

If Torquay/Bells is still on your list, I've sent you a PM.
Cheers, George.

fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 08:41:39 PM »

Hi Surferboy,

Given you're going via Hyden for "surfboard" reasons, I reckon we could be in Ravensthorpe on the Friday night (7th March) and you could pick us up on your way through to Esperance and Norseman on the Sat (8th March)...if you're coming from Hyden, that means we can have a sleep-in... Grin

cheers, Brad

surferboy
wa-club
Guru

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 06:50:45 PM »

Brad
Have booked a room at Railway Hotel, Norseman for Sat 8th
4 1/2 hours (?) from Hyden to Esperance for lunch then a short sprint (2 1/2 hrs) to Norseman for tea  Grin

Trip to Mt G is as posted (inc Port Fairy). Hotels are all booked so we dont have any flexibility
So far we calculate $1,980 in accomodation  Shocked (theres going to be lots of these emoticons!)
At least 4,500 Km of driving at some outrageous petrol price  Shocked
40+ hotel meals at hotel meal prices  Shocked
11 new hat badges at overinflated tourist prices  Shocked

THEN...we start the trip HOME

Will be leaving Mt G on Tues morn (25th)
Victor Harbour 25th and 26th ( Booked )

then Port Augusta,Ceduna,Eucla,Norseman, HOME (Mon night 31st) Start back at work  Cry on &th April to pay for it all )
Another 3,300 Km  Shocked
Another $680 accomodation  Shocked
etc.  etc.  etc.

Cool Cool Cool
have posted it here so everyone can check it out before club meeting

surferboy
wa-club
Guru

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 12:20:37 AM »

'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go   Grin Grin Grin
our last post before we start our little trip

Looking forward to meeting our old friends and some new ones in Mt Gambier  Smiley Cheesy Grin

Cool Cool Cool & Cathy

PS if i figure out how to i will try and send some pics of our trip......but don't hold your breath

surferboy
wa-club
Guru

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 09:42:28 PM »

Gday Jack & George ( and everybody else i was going to phone)

I've lost all my contact phone numbers  Cry

Feel free to give me a call when i get close by
looking forward to catching up

surferboy (lucky my heads screwed on)
0407 385464
 Cool Cool Cool

arrive Anglsea Tues morn
arrive Port Fairy Wed (sometime ?)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...